Help on wire head unit

Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 10
I have a 71 chevelle and i put in a new after market head unit but it is original looking head unit to keep the car looking original. i'm not sure how to wire it and i would like an Eq but was told i should go with a Crossover. i'm not sure which to get or how to wire them. it has all the cords coming out of the back of the head unit (power, ground, and each speaker wire) if that helps?

Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 167
ok then. thats exactly how you wire it. get a test light and fing your power wire with constamt power and the wire when the ignition is hot. the het the ground wire.
what kinda hu and eq are you looking at? i really need to know so i cam go online and find manuals for the 2

HU WIRING

YELLOW - CONSTANT POWER. THIS IS THE MEMORY WIRE
RED- HOT WHEN IGNITION IS IN RUN OR AUX POSITIONS
BLACK - GROUND
GREED PAIR - SPEAKERS
WHITE PAIR - SPEAKERS
GRAY PAIR - SPEAKERS
PURPLE PAIR - SPEAKERS

if you use an eq, dont use the speaker wires on the hu i thing they're on the eq but just get a short rca cord and run from the rca outputs on hu to rca input on the eq. personally, i'd forget all about the eq and just use the head unit and adjust the tones; bass treb, ect.

does this help any?

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1284
a eq or crossover depends on what speakers your running, i assume since you don't know how to wire a head unit you have a very basic setup. don't worry about a eq or crossover unless your running component speakers or a sub and so on. wireing the headunit will require 2 things, 1. are you splicing wires or are wires even there? 2. are you running your own? if you run your own which i hghly sugest for the age of the car you wil need to run it like this. you will need a wire from the battery to the power ::positive:: on the headunit. you will need to also wire a clock wire thats to a positive source that always gets power with a car on or off, a accesory wire known as acc. acc will need to get power when the key is turned and none when the key is off. and lastly a ground, a wire that goes to a part of the body that has been cleaned and is bare metal. after all that run wires to your speakers and match up the positive and negitive to whats on your headunit. the headunit will have a pos an neg set to the left and a set for the right for those speakers, thats for your front for the back set it will be the same so essentially for speakers you will have 8 wires, 4 front, 4 back, 2 to each speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thank you keith and thats exactly how my hu is set up with the 8 wires hanging out the back plus the power and ground. i am going to be running component speakers and a pair of subs so that is why i was asking if i should run an Eq or a crossover. so i think you answered my question on that.
Now that we've decided on running an Eq or crossover with what i'm going to be installing which should i go with?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1292
depends do you own the speakers yet?, if not go to the subwooer section and post a topic up asking good componets. if you do that look for the names chad lee, rob and paul laurel they typically are the main posters that have the best info on componets also nick v and reece brassler. they will suggest a very nice set of componets for you minamizing your speakers down to about 2 or 4 if you choose. also if you do that they will have X over or cross overs howere you want to word it it's the same thing. then you can put a eq on top of that once that is done you now saved money rather then buying everything seperate and adding them as seperate units also you save space and things are alot easier to hide. trying to hid a eq, x over, 6 speakers, a componet amp, sub amp, not easy in 71 chevelle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
i only have one pair of 6x9 and the other two pairs i have not bought yet so i will post a thread about component speakers in the subwoofer section. oh ok then yeah the sales man at my car stereo shop i think was just trying to sell me stuff i didnt need because he saw an opportunity to take advantage of me. luckily i was hesitant and not knowing what it was that he was selling me kinda backed me off.
yeah you're right its hard to hide all of these things in the chevelle! i was wondering where do you suggest i put the Eq so its accessible but out of sight. i was thinking under the seat because i can run the wires from under the carpet. and under the front seat is where the manufactures hide the fact that the carpet over laps underneath the front bench seat and just pull the wires through there and then send the rest back to the trunk but if you have a better suggestion i'm open for all suggestions!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
oh and what brand of Eq do you recommend?

Username: Chex36

Post Number: 1
does anyone have the wiring codes for a 1995 Dodge Caravan?

Post Number: 2
Does anyone have the factory radio wiring for a 1995 Dodge Caravan?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1299
the eq u wont be constantly dialing in so under the seat will be fine. pm chad lee on the eq, that guy is the man he's owned it all but the epic center eq is highly touted. to horace since it's you first post i will let it slide.

Post Number: 4
You'll let what slide Keith?

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the info!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
ok thank you keith!
i've been looking at the audio control products lately. I've heard good things about them!

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1303
yea,best advice just ask aroun and look at post count and sign up date chances are the older the poster the more you can trust thier advice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
That is good advice!
Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us