Amp problem!!! brand new wtf?? help anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 937
ok just got my box sub and amp installed yesterday finally. but ok the amp is ma 1600 watt 2 channel not sure on model i wil look it up. the sub is a lightning audio! yes i aint here to here sh..t on how that sub suxx but it was free and temporary. ok and it actually sounds pretty nice an dhits some lows haha. not even sure what model it is. my moms b/f gave it to me. but teh box is .83 cu ft. sealed. in my 93 s-10 . ok

the PEOBLEM . ok the gain is set right . bass boost all the way down. low pass and high all down . the seting on h/u is bass 0 treble 2 . ok well my volume goes up to 35 and i have to turn it up to like 26-30 just to get the sub thumping . now my problem is the amp goes into protect when some songs want to hit the lows. and when they get loud and this song SOD freestyle by soulja boy it bumps but not loud cuz the notes somehow mak ethe amp go into protect i turn volume down it goes right back to normal. well why is it going into protect its wired prperly and at 2 ohms amp is stable at 2 ohms . is it maybe my wirirng is to small? its 8 gauge but im not pushin gallot of power. so anyoen know what scausing this?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3971
low pass should be set high. if its all the way down, its onlt playing like 20 herzt and below. Set it to like 80 or so. and high pass to 120 or over. Do you have a sub on setting on the hu?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4550
If it is used for subs then you need to run the HP filter at around 25-30hz, this will be the equivalent of a subsonic filter, LP will be set around 80-100hz dependant on quality and SQ of driver. I have seen some subs with a LP set around 50-60hz but there mids were fricken awesome. Polo..

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 938
ok but the low is at the lowest and that s45 hz . so how do u say 20???yes the only sub settign is on or off. that it. but teh wiriring is all correcxt all wired right why is it going into protect? i do not get it? there has to be a reason maybe the sub is telling teh amp it cannot handle that or somethign cuz its only when the lows hit. i mean if i wanted to blwo teh sub it wouldnt even let me cuz it would go into protect

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 297
put bigger wiring u might not be giving ur amp enough power.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4554
The Low pass needs to be at 80 fool! The high pass at 30 lOl. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3981
He is only hearing 45 and under and the songs that "hit" just happen to have strong output below there. Do what Marc and Polo are trying to tell you.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 939
thats what i thought.... was biger power and ground wire.and yea why would you want high at 30 polo!!!!! the other guy said 120

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 163
"put bigger wiring u might not be giving ur amp enough power."

Yes you might need bigger wires.
you need to run AT LEAST A 4 GA WIRE!!)

here the link to the wire sizes
http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 940
ok but if i sent the low up higher how is that going to allow it to hit lower notes when it's already as low as it goes. am i not understanding? so if i sent it at 80 will my going into protect stop?

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 164
i dont think it either the HP or LP filters. he better get some bigger power and ground wire and get rid of that 8ga or he aint gonna have to worry about haveing am amp b/c it gonna burn up b/c he starve it for power.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 941
haha thanks for the help. glad i found the problem before losing an amp. thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9707
Do what Marc and Polo are saying to do and come back and tell us what happened. If it works then case closed, if it doesn't then damn.

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 165
glad i could help but i was wandering how lomng it was going to take to get thru to you.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 942
well yesterday when i was going to put it in i already realized for that big of an amp i would need more than 8 but the guy told me with that sub it shouldn't push enough power to need bigger wiring but obviously he was wrong and i was right. thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-D615D4 Dia...

Post Number: 340
dont you want to keep your low pass minimal to the sub??? thats what ive always hears i dont even have my low pass on and my system sounds great even on low notes

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1288
low pass is a frequency, setting a low pass to 80 is like cutting of everything above 80 hz which is what you want. most songs have a bass line average of 80 hz and below, if you go below that your bass gets filtered to lower notes if the song outputs say 70 hz and ur low pass is set at 30 u won't hear it or it will hit faintly. if you dont't believe what everyones saying then try this. run a song u know hass good bass say something like keyne west stronger. it hits like crazy. run that now while playing turn the low pass to 80 hz then back to 30 or whatever yours
is at then tell me if it sounds different. i bet you will have a whole new perspective.

btw your amp is certainly shutting off due to the low guage wirebump it up to 4 guage or thicker. if you can't turn your gains lower to give the sub less power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us