How to wire amp?

Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 3
if i have 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000 amps that RMS at 1000 watts each and a 6 ch zapco amp how should i wire them? and what size wire should i use?

Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 157
Whats's the RMs for the Zapco Amp? You may need to put a Kenetic Battery in the trunck with the amps to help power everything. Maybe even a High Output Alternator. The alternator would be better.

Anyway, heres how I'd do it.
Ger enough 1/0 wire to go from stock battery under the hood to the location of the amps. You'll also need a fuse and fuse holder 350A fuse.

You wuill need a distribution block to go from 1/0 down to 4 Ga wire. For the 2 alpines it will be 4 ga wire. I really need a model number for the Zapco so I can download a manual and find out what size wire.

You need:
1/0 wire to go to the amps from battery under the hood.
Distribution block from 1 1/0 input to 3 4ga outs.
1 1/0 fuse holder and 350 amp fuse
A length of 4ga wire for each amp to ground.

That should have you powered.

You really need to consider a high output alternator and big 3 power upgrade. It would really benefit you in this situation.

Just for my curiosity, what kind of speakers and subs are you using with this setup?

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 158
where are you located? uf you need help, i owb a shop in Crawford County, Georgia.

Post Number: 8
The Zapco amp is a 650 AG series and i'm not too sure about the RMS i think its 90X6 but not too sure.
and i was thinking about 1/0 ga wire but i didnt know how to go from 1/0 to 4 ga. so i would have to buy a distribution block then? i havent heard or knew about that. and i was considering a battery in the trunk and i'm goin to upgrade the alt. because its having a little trouble charging the battery since i've put in electric fans in the 71 chevelle so i know it will have a lot of trouble with the sound system.
i'm putting in a pair of 5.25" infinity perfect component speakers for the front 6x9 infinity speakers in the rear deck and a pair of Pioneer Premier TS-W3001D4 12" subs...i was considering putting in 6.5 component speakers with an adapter for the 6X9 hole in the rear deck. what do you think about that? and i live in Cali. sorry bout that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
and would i need a 4 ga amp kit for each amp or just a length of 4 ga power and ground wire?

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 168
if its what i think it is: Zapco REF650.6 - Zapco Reference 6 Ch. 650 Watt Amplifier
you ll need a distrabution block that goes from 1/0 to 4ga get it with three outputs. use 6ga for the Zapco. it will work for that amp b/c its only 650w max. now, what kinda terminals does the alpines have? are they big enough to accept 4 ga wire? if so use some 4ga wire. you can get by with 6ga tho.

distribution blocks and wire: www.knukonceptz.com

if you use a ho alt you wont need a xtra batt in the trunk. that cars stock alt i think is 60AMP. very Lame for car audio
i wouldnt put a batt back ther if i had the ho alt. but the alt's a must.
hope this helps

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1285
ok u may own a shop but you seem to not understand power, you can NOT, NOT run over 2000 rms of amps of a stock alternator !!!!! let alone barely 1000. if you try to you will cook the amps and your alternator. as far as power wire goes you will need at least 1 or 0 guage wire ! you WILL need to do a big 3, meaning runs of 0 guage wire or 1 guage wire added over top of the original positive feeds to your battery , power and ground feeds including the chasis grounds. ontop of that a high output alternator, lastly a deep cycle battery most likly a kinetiek will be fine in place of your stock battery. those alpine amps are not overrated so they will demand power. after all those upgrades you can wire a distro block to split the power. i would say to be safe try to run 0 guage power feeds with a step down distro block to 1 or 2 guage. try to stay away from 4 if you can, that will help with current loss. lastly fuse each amp, do NOT just fuse them all to one fuse, for the power wire and watts you would be running. fuse each amp at roughly 150 amp or less. for the zapco fuseing that at 80 amps or less is fine. for even more extensive help cause this is a medium size job, post this in the subwoofer section under the title OT: installing amps. please do not go by just what one person posts or you will ruin something. sorry if i'm harsh wares, but you have to detail your info or you will have someone damage thier stuff, owner of a shop or not.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 696
pwned wares.

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 169
dude i said use ho alt " but the alt's a must. "read the post.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1290
that was edited in it wasn't there earlier, i'm not going to argue with you it's pointless ether way the right info has now been given and that's all that matters. if you want to get technical why mention it's a must in your last few words not your first post and why tell him to run a battery in the trunk before telling him to run a high ohm alternator? plus for 2 thousand watts another battery would be pointless. you never mention a high output alt is required with a 2nd battery you state ether or. so reguardless you gave false info. once again i'm not going to go on and on.

Anyway, heres how I'd do it.
Ger enough 1/0 wire to go from stock battery under the hood to the location of the amps. You'll also need a fuse and fuse holder 350A fuse.

You wuill need a distribution block to go from 1/0 down to 4 Ga wire. For the 2 alpines it will be 4 ga wire. I really need a model number for the Zapco so I can download a manual and find out what size wire.

You need:
1/0 wire to go to the amps from battery under the hood.
Distribution block from 1 1/0 input to 3 4ga outs.
1 1/0 fuse holder and 350 amp fuse
A length of 4ga wire for each amp to ground.

That should have you powered.

You really need to consider a high output alternator and big 3 power upgrade.

"It would really benefit you in this situation. "

it's the ONLY way to benefit you.

also keep in mind he's installing this in a muscle car trying to retain a stock look to add a battery and everything else in the trunk is nowhere near practical. nor required if you do a big 3

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ok so let me get this straight. I will need to upgrade my alt to like a 200 amp ho alt, get a deep cell batt to replace my stock batt or for the trunk? Because i can hide the batt in the trunk thats not a problem and yes i do want to keep it as original as possible. Also if this helps i have a 454 engine and it takes a huge batt to start so my concern is if i were to change out the batt for a deep cell kenetic batt will that still be able to start my 454 big block?
then i will need to upgrade the big 3 which goes with upgrading the alt and batt obviously.
then i will run 1/0 ga wire from the batt under the hood to the distribution block and from the distribution block run 4 ga wire to each of the 3 amps.
where would the inline fuse come in? would there be one on the 1/0 ga wire and an inline fuse for each 4 ga wire to each amp?
and would this be how i wire the set up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i was told in a different thread that i should get one AQ2200D and that would be the same as two Alpine PDX-1.1000 amps is this true or would i need to strap two AQ2200D together to be the same as two Alpine PDX-1.1000 amps?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1291
it's true the 2200 would be 2200 rms. u don't need 2 you can but one amp that will do 2200 rms. now your right one everything you said except the batt. u won't need one in your trunk a kinetiek is a brand of battery. i understand that motor requires a good kick to turn over but believe it or not depending on the model you get could be up to 2 times more powerful crankin amps then what you have now so yes turning the car over would not be a problem. the biggest question is what subs are you running? and are you building your own custom sub box? your going to need a decent space before you can achieve decent sound which could eat up almost all your trunk space. also as i said you need to do 1 or 0 guage runs ontop of the stock wiring for the positve batter to the alt to the battery to the ground to the chasis ground to the alt ground. all of that needs to have 1 or 0 guage added to it thats a full big 3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ok sweet!
I was looking at the specks of the AQ2200 and it said it runs 2200 watts at one ohm but my subs run at 2 or 8 ohms it says is it still possible to run the pair of subs at one ohm? the subs i'm putting in are a pair of Pioneer Premier TS-W3001D4 12" subs.
i'm having my local car stereo shop build me a custom box because i dont think i can build one myself, i dont think. i've talk to them and they think a bandpass through the rear deck would be the best way to go. They say that will help reduce the rattling in the trunk and have a richer sound into the cab. and i'm not worried about trunk space cause that is one thing about the old cars that arent like the new cars is they have a lot of trunk space. i'm not too sure what you mean by "1 or 0 guage runs ontop of the stock wiring" do you mean replace the old wiring with 1 or 0 gage wire?
ok i'll look into a battery and do you have a clickable link for a battery that you have in mind? just wondering.

thank you!!

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 700
no, a pair of dual 4 ohm subs is able to run at 1 ohm, not 2 or 8.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Thank you snow! Nick V helped me out on that in the sub forum. i understand how that works now!
Thank you.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1296
sorry hunter ask nick v or chad lee i don't require that since i run a small system. ether way one of the locals will help you further and google the big 3 you will see what i mean. as i said your not replaceing your adding to stock wiring. also i hope that shops really really renound for building boxes. bandpass boxes are a extream b!tch to build and have work right. you could be getting ripped big time. what band pass does is alow for a best of both worlds. it allows for a seeled cause typically the front of the sub is in a sealed section so it gets clean. cause of the porting the box gets loud, so you get the best of both worlds concept. as far as making your ride rattle les thats pretty much bull sh!t. the only way to stop your ride from rattleing is to sound deaden the trunk with a material like e dead or dyna matt. ask around here though dyna matts real good but pricey some folks on here have left over rolls for cheap or can suggest a retailer. your best bet if ur paying alot is to just flat out have a guy on here help design you a box or talk to this guy. http://www.hexibase.com/ he's practically a effin god whewn it comes to box building. i think he can even send you a full blown un assembled box and all you have to do is put it together the box being already cut and all. or ig he's to pricey ost a topic in woofer section looking for fisher customs or woodlan cabenetry as thier names. they are most likly far superior to ur local shop and cheeper not to mention can prob suggest a ported or sealed for those subs since i never ran them. remember though most local shops are the biggest crooks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Ok thank you for all of that information!
I will take all of that into consideration and i too think that local shops are out to get you if you dont know what you're doing and if you do know you wouldnt be going to the car shops hahaha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us