Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 104
Ample Audio EX 300DX 1500 @ 1ohm
RD alpha 12"
0 gauge power and ground
70 amp alternator

Can i run this stuff at 1000 watts?
No other amplifiers in my system.
Do i risk voltage drops that could damage my amplifier?

Extra battery in the trunk will have what effect?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5345
i'd look a HO alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
I know that a HO alternator would solve my problems, but would it be possible to run it at this without one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
bump

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6152
get the ho alt.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1585
I think 1000w would still put too much of a strain on that alternator, and yes that will cause voltage drops that WILL hurt your amp. In your case there is no way around a HO alt (unless you like spending way more money than needed).

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
what about running it at 500 watts continuous and pushing it up to 1000 watts for short intervals? like 1 minute or less, just to show off

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1579
I'd hook it up and monitor your voltage. It's not like the amp will draw 100A continuously - not even close. If you're sagging to 12 or lower you'll know you need to reduce the gain and go easy on the volume until you can get your HO alt. If you maintain at least 12, and get around 13 most of the time you should be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5349
can youtell us your car model? is it an import, domestic etc?

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
i ave a 97 toyota corolla..optidriven, i think ill do that..so around 13 volts should be fine?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1580
Your car's voltage fluctuates a lot, and there's a lot of gray area around when is the right time to go with a HO alt. You're always better safe than sorry, but at the same time, why spend the money if there's really no reason to.

A healthy battery should rest at around 12.5v, for it to charge you need to see 13v+ most (90%?) of the time.

I used to run 1100w with a 75A alt. At idle I'd see around 12-12.4v, but at any RPM above 1.5k or so I had 13.6-13.8v. Obviously it's not ideal to run like that (with the sags to ~12), but as long as your alt will charge the battery you won't end up stranded on the side of the road.
However - having that much stress on the alt will most likely shorten its life. The 75A alt I had died after 2 years in that state - then again, it had 226k on it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7562
I'd say that amount of power is too much for that alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
I think i will hook it up and get a voltmeter so i can watch it while im driving, and just listen to it around 500-750 watts, and just crank it up to 1000-1200 for short periods. Should i be alright? Would that extra deep cycle battery help me out if i wanted to run it with not a whole lot of power, then push it up everyonce and a while for those short bursts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us