94 Jeep Cherokee, 12v getting to amp..

Username: Ninobrn99

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 10
Its a stock battery and alt. Im running a cadence zrs 9004 for my CDTs up front and a PG xenon 600.1 for my subs. I checked the power to the amps and its 12.1-2v How do I get 13.5-14.4v to it? Ive got 4g going to the PG and 8g to the Cadence straight from the battery.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1577
you took this measurement with the engine running?

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 11
yes

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7555
Measure voltage at the battery with engine running. If it's higher than what you're getting at the amp, then theres resistence in the wires somewhere. My bet would be a bad grounding point.

Assuming you didn't do the big 3, it could also be a bad factory ground wire. Or if the vehicle has a frame the body to frame ground strap is another likely cause.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 21
I havent done the big 3, but I am running by the welding supply store to do it this weekend. Actually, Im replacing my main cables. They're pretty simple on my cherokee and there's a write up on how to do it too.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7572
Cherokee is a frame vehicle so you have to also make sure you upgrade the body ground strap if you're grounding the amp to the body. Just use the same wire as for the big 3.

Big 3 ground wire always goes to frame.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 23
Heres what Ill be doing:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444922
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445428
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444082

Im going to get all these wires today provided they're in stock so I can do it over the weekend.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 24
Well, I upgraded. At idle the battery is reading 14.2v. At the amp Im seeing 13.8-9v now. Then only wire I havent upgraded is the battery to alternator, but Im not sure I really need to do that one right now.
I ended up using 1/0g.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7583
If you have a stock alt you don't need to do that one. If you get an HO alt you absolutely must upgrade that wire.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 26
well I do plan on upgrading it from the stock 90amp to a 136 amp alt. I guess Ill just do it then.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7590
Thats not much of an upgrade....... you should be able to get a bigger HO alt than that.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 28
its over 200 for a HO alt. If I were to get the 136, its less than 100. Id just be upgrading to a 5.2L alt as opposed to the stock 90amp one I have now. i dont plan on adding much more to my system, so i think 136 should be plenty wouldnt it?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1584
136A isn't that big of an alt when you compare it to the typical "HO" alt, but 46A of untouched current is a HUGE amount of music power.
A '94 Jeep probably isn't loaded with a high demand electrical system.

I would think it's reasonable to expect the bigger alt to be good for 1500-2000w.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7594
It aint worth it..... get the 200 amp. $200 is very good for a 200 amp alternator, thered be no good reason not to get that.

Be happy you don't have an import, ya always hear about people paying 500+ for alts on those.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12124
voltage only goes up with the engine running above idle. usually over 1500RPM or so.
at idle, the voltage is 12V

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 52
actually, off its at 12v, at idle its about 13.4-6v.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7621
Wait, so it's 13.4 volt at idle????? Then there's no problem here thats normal.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 53
M.S.,
Its not a problem now. I upgraded my + and - cables to 1/0g(not quite the big 3) the only one left to do is the batt to alt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us