Power drain help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 953
last nite i was at a red light and noticed since i put my voltage gage in that at idle with my music turned on 10 of 30 that my voltage droped to 12.7 which cant be normal i have 2 yellow top bats and a 200 amp alt. Question is how should i go about diagnosing the prob? thanks in advance guys

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 339
go to decent chain auto parts store and let them check your charging system on a computer for free. Only takes about 10 minutes to do the test. That is what I did.. L8r

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20890
how much power are you running?

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 340
how long have you had this setup? What are your volts at normally at that volume?

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-D615D4 Dia...

Post Number: 333
maybe voltage regulator

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5916
alt could be going bad.

Silver Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 954
2500 rms had the setup for about 2 years with that amp and ran fine til bout 6 months ago. how do i check the voltage regulatot

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1855
dude u cant expect ur alt's idle output to push 2.5k without drop. Even if you have extra batteries.

I bet ur alt does 110amps @ idle best... and the amp is possibly drawing up to ~250amps.

@ a stoplight you are on the brakes and the car is in drive. Therefore ur alt is spinning at its slowest speed it could possibly be spinning. Not to mention add on the cars other electrical needs and you have even more amperage draw... And you know those brake lights? Yea even tho its smaller, its still drawing. I also noticed you said "last nite"... Well go ahead and add on your headlights drawing as well.

You just simply can't expect to be able to wang on ur system when ur at a stoplight. If its that important to you, put the car in park (illegal) and wait @ the light... You will releive your brake lights from drawing and your alt will spin faster.

Silver Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 955
i understand that but my system was barly bumping only at volume 10 of 35 and sub turned down i think something else is drawing to much of a current

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3648
Check the sitting voltage of your batts, they could need a good charging.

Silver Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 957
checked that im losing it somwhere between them and the other electrical they are brand new as well charging at 14+

Silver Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 963
bump for some help

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
it prolly the alt/ regulator dude take and put your car in drive turn headlights on and heat/air and take face plate off cd player so amps are not kicked on and see what your volt meter does then if it drops i would say alt or regulator is bad dude

Silver Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 968
ok ill try that thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
so what happened dude
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums