Setting gain on amp????

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 924
ok dont you unhook speakers and us a dmm thing but what setting do u put it on? and ok then turn volume up 3/4 way then once it hits your sertain voltage needed thats wear your gain should be set right?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2470
honestly, how many times do you think this topic has been discussed on here? not trying to be a d1ck or anything but try searching this site or googling before you ask such a common question.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3607
http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?cat=5

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 925
i had a feeling that is what sum1 would say lol. its cool though. but thanx guys.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 926
ok but do u have to have some kind of hertz test tone like a song? he said you get it online, well do u have to get a sertan song? thats the part im lost on. or can you play any song and then do what it sais to do? and do the speakers have to be plugged in or can you do it right off teh amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7534
Speakers can NOT be connected. You need to use a test tone not a song. All EQ and other features on the HU have to be off or zeroed. DMM on AC volts. And just use the calculator.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 927
ok thanx.... the bass and treble and loudness off on cd player too right? and use the calculator for what

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 931
and once u set it then can you turn your bass treble and loudness back on? and why does he say use a 50hz test tone?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7540
Increasing bass makes clipping possible so just don't do that with bass makanik or something like that playing.

The tone doesn't have to be 50 hz but that is what I use.

Loudness = terrible EQ curve, why would you want that.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 933
so put the 50hz test tone on without any sound playing and just set the gain like that ? and idk i just was asking just to know what all had to be turned off. but why does it matter that u use a test tone not a song?

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2595
the signal will jump around on a regular song. Keeping it at a set freq. will let you set everything without it jumping around.

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 29
If you use a song the frequency changes, and also it is not a constant stream of music. With a test tone it is just that frequency(50 hz in this case) played constantly for however long it is. You need to turn off all the bass boost because that causes distortion, and set your EQ to 0 for everything too. And if you cant get to the target voltage it may just be that the amp is overrated, dont use bass boost or stuff like that to try to get it up to the target because you will just end up ruining the speaker or amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Fish5

IN

Post Number: 37
so you unhook the speakers from the amp and then test it?

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 934
ok thanx i understand hwy u use a test tone now. ok and what about the bass boost on the amp? turn that all the way down?? and the low pass and high pass i have the low on the lowest all down and the high on like 2 notches up . why do they make it up to like 250hz on a amp for the low and high ? it never even sounds like it does anything when i test it. and i know this amp wil do 400 watts lol its rated at 1600 at 2 ohm but its a ma audio amp so its prolly a little bit overated but cant be too much. its a HK1398 ma audio amp. ok can anyone tell me if its a bad amp? and it sais it will do 800x2 @1 ohm. but i tried it at one ohm it isnt stable it goes into protect but i am just trying to get like 500 rms out of it not sure what sub i am using my moms b/f wil be giving me a sub tommororow for it cuz of a deal we made. but yes i know this amp does 400 atleast cuz it was my friends its brand new and he used it for 2 weeks and gave it to me yes gave! lol he payed 400 for it . but got ripped on that cuz i found it for cheaper. but how is this amp??

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 935
bumpp

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 936
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums