Need Help Choosing Amp for 2 Kicker L74's

Username: Type94

Kitchener , Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Guys can u help me choose an amp for my 2 Kicker L7's , i was thinking of buying a Hifonics BXi 1606D, u think this amp will be good enough for SPL ... And will this amp and sub pair be able to beat 2 Alpine Type R's ???}

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3601
It all depends on install,enclosure etc.

The L7's are built for SLP/loudness thats it.

If I were you and wanted to go kicker subs I would get the CVX's there not far from output of the L7's but sound better on same power.

And for amp take a look at AudioQue.com at the AQ1200D.(1200x1@1ohm)

Post Number: 5
What do you think of two Cerwin Vega VMAX 124 subs 12" ??? I want SPL the problem is i do not know how much a box will cost and i wanted it cheap is it ok to buy a box online ???

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1547
Whats your budget for everything? If your on a tight budget, build the box yourself.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1550
I'm guessing they are Dual 4 ohm, what size are they?

Post Number: 7
Budget is 1100 or 1200$ MAX , including the box there 4 ohm subs , There 12" subs want to wire them down to 1 ohm , what do you guys think of the Kicker Enclosed Systems because i think its a good deal for 499$ at www.millionbuy.com , But i was also thinking of buying 2 Cerwin Vega VMAX 12.4 12" subs 600 watt RMS , i wanted SPL and i think there not enough , my biggest problem is finding a cheap enclosure is it ok to buy them online , up here in Canada we only have crappy Bassworx boxes from Bestbuy or futureshop.

The problem with kicker is it that it can get very expensive , how will 2 pioneer premiers be and my main target is to beat 2 Alpine Type R's ....

Plus my car is a BMW E39 and i wanted to know if i can change the speakers and put 3 way speakers because the stock speakers dont have tweeters inside them , there outside on the doors , so wanted to know if i could change them or get nice pioneer speakers for it with built in tweeters , is that ok ???

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1552
Check out some audioque SDC2.5's and an AQ 1200D.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
How much do you think they will cost or where do they sell them and My main target is Big SPL and to Beat 2 Alpine Type R's which are 3000 watts peak power ???

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6102
who cares about peak power, that means nothing and should never be looked at. like said before, install plays a big key into it. but both equal, a pair of l7s' will be louder than a pair of type rs'. as for the kicker enclosed, from what i've read/been told all their enclosures are tuned high (want to say 40hz.), so they'll get loud but will be lacking on the sq and the lows (which sounds like you don't care about anyways). so if just going for spl you could get a pair of the dual 4ohm vc l7s' and the audioque 2200 amp, should be a nice cheap spl setup. as for box i'd get one made, either by phil (woodlawncabinetry) or bj (fishercustoms), they both make great boxes and they'd be much better than kicker prefabs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
How about this enclosure is it good enough, the built looks pretty nice http://carjamz.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=150_162&products_i d=1795

Gold Member

Post Number: 3602
Do you already have the L7"s or no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3603
And the shipping on that link you posted above is going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well i don't have the L7's yet and i was thinking of buying the L7's with the enclosure built enclosure from kicker but if i would buy other subs such as Cerwin Vegas or SPL subs ( btw what do u think of SPL subs ) i would by that enclosure i posted above in the link . So would you suggest that the kicker enclosure would be better then those subs , the problem is if i buy the kickers separately then that would exceed my budget , so the only way possible for me to buy the kicker L7's is only by buying the Whole kicker factory loaded enclosure , so what do u think ???

P.S. What do you think of SPL Audio Subs and Cerwin Vegas ??? And do u think that Box is good for SPL ??? And last question is that , will that kicker Loaded enclosure give me SPL , i dont care about for SQ im only looking for SPL ???

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1553
Are you willing to upgrade electrical? I'm not sure how big the alternator is in your car, so that would be something to look into so you know how much power you can run. I thought BMW's had somewhat bigger alt's but I don't know for sure.

Here's the AQ prices...

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

As far as a box, I would contact fishercustoms.com or woodlawncabnitery.com, as a box built to spec will do wonders for performance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
But how can i get fishercustoms to make a box which i need and have it shipped to canada without having to suffer a big cost ???
My cars battery is kind of weak at the moment i do not know about the alternator but i was thinking of putting an extra battery in the trunk for the system a small battery around 110$ is that ok???
My total budget is $1150 MAX and my main target is to get as much as possible SPL i can get , so if u can help me i would be thankful .

Gold Member

Post Number: 3605
Don't waste money on SPL Audio subs.

I say Alpine Type R's are in the same catagory as Cerwin Vega VMAX.(My opinion)

Cerwin Vega strokers and stroker pros are on a hole nothing level.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1558
Well you should E-mail him first and see how much it will cost. There is a guy on here, goes by "...Rovin..." and he lives in Canada and looks to do great work. I'd PM him or create a thread for him to see.

I think your car has a 120amp alternator if I am correct, but you might want to confirm that. With a new battery under the hood I would assume you could run around 1200-1500w safley, but I'm not certain (could be more or less).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So if i get the pre-made kicker box it will give me SPL but not SQ ?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1560
Yes it will give SPL, might sound like poo though. A lower tuned box MAY also sound louder to the ear (and better) but in reality it is not (meaning on a mic). If you are after pure SPL, then get the loaded kicker enclosure.

I've never heard the kicker enclosure in person so I'm simply going off the specs and others word of mouth.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
You can check the enclosure on this site and tell me , http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19493

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok forget the kickers there goin over my budget , how about audiobahns or some other cheap subs with loud SPL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2760
What do you think of these Audiobahn subs are they well worth the money and good for SPL???

And Can u guys tell me of Audiobahn SPL sub ??? or any other subs which are cheap ?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7535
Audiobahn is like the Kicker, good for SPL but sounds like sh!t.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3612
Then go with 1 L7 15" in the proper box that thing is LOUD.

AudioQue AQ1200D would be a good amp to push it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
what about hifonics or soundstream ?

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 756
how bout you suck at car audio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
well if u can tell me about a system with loud SPL and arrange it all in $1100 Max then ill admit that i suck at car audio

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 674
audioque HDC315" and audioque 1200D. and have woodlawn or fishercustoms build a box. sounds good enough to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us