Best cabin gain from my trunk...?

Silver Member
Username: Kujo

Post Number: 130
I'm planning on doing a fiberglass enclosure for my twin 12" JL w6v2s. These will be going in the trunk of a 2002 wrx sedan. I've done regular MDF boxes, and have played around with fiberglass before, so I want to ramp it up a bit.

Now I know when you have a regular MDF ported box, best bet for good sound is to slide it as far back in the trunk as you can get it, and face it toward the rear of your trunk... but the question I have (probably for those of you who have had a chance to play around with sub placement/setup) is being that enclosures made out of fiberglass are pretty much endless in design, what position/ setup is going to probably yeild the best possible sound out of my trunk?? Like different angles... facing my subs forward or back... face them away from each other...Port position??? Since I dont really have money to invest into testing different setups for sounds.. it'd be nice to get a good idea of what to shoot for and go for it. Sooo any help is definately needed! Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4519
Ok, it all depends if you want to seal the trunk off fromt he cabin area. If you build a box and place it behind you back seat with the trunk totally sealed off from the cabin, nearly air tight then the gain will be greater than anything you are planning. Now if you don't plan on doing all that then build a simple box, aim it towards rear and deaden the hell out of the trunk area. This will give good results. Now as far as fiberglass goes, honestly if they aren't a sealed style they really do not sound good. they may look great but they just don't sound right compared to a good MDF enclosure.Now if you are creative you can build the form out of MDF and glass over it but that is also alot of work. Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Hmm... okay so lets say I go sealed. Which is probably going to yelid a better sound? Angleing the subs towards each other faceing the rear of the trunk? Angleing the subs away from each other, partialy facing the sids of the trunk and partialy facing the rear? or shooting them straight back like a conventional box?

If I were to angle them away from each other... would this inturn creat sort or a corner load since they would have sort of a confined space between the subs and the sides of my trunk?

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
sort of**

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 657
sealed will yield an better sound asfar as sound quality....are u going to drive with yoru seats folded down or do they even go down?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
theres a little center peice that folds down on the backseat... I usualy drive with that down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Any ideas??

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7554
" sealed will yield an better sound asfar as sound quality "

Not true, a ported box with the right tuning can sound as good as a sealed with more low end output. But if doing fiberglass then make it sealed, much easier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us