Common misconception

just to clear a few things up:

i've heard a few of you refer to the magnet size on some off brand subs. The size of the magnet is really not a key factor in quality or sound of a given sub. A lot of cheap subs use industrial grade ferrite magnets. They have low magnetic field strength properties and have to use massive magnets (several stacked in a column) to get sufficient magenetic flux fields around the voice coils.

There are several other materials that have much higher magnetic flux properties than common ferrites. Stontium, Alnico V, Neodimium and rare earth Cobalt magnets are much more powerful magnets.

These are very expensive and only found on high quality, expensive subs and smaller full range speakers. The mass of these type of magnets are so much less than ferrites as they have such large flux densities, the size and weight of the magnet and supporting structure are much less, and give better results to control and excite cone movement.

Anonymous
so its better to have a small magnet?

motoman22
I still haven't figured out why there isn't a subwoofer with an electromagnet instead of a fixed magnet.

Think about it, instead of having one voice coil pulling or pushing against the fixed magnet...you would have two wound coils (one fixed) that would either attract or repel the other. The increase in efficiency is 100%, the throw of the cone could be infinite, and I'm certain that the power handling could be increased dramatically. Imagine the new lows with a 12" sub that has 6" of travel...

*sigh*

hehe, 6" of travel would be awesome. i dont even know the SPL you could acheive with so much less. oh well, maybe we should get together and make one? hahahhaha

there are so many things that we will never understand until we try! :)

come on man, where u live, lets make this thing lol

TTT

motoman22
I'm in Dallas Texas Derek....where are you?

Im up in Seattle, but my fiance has some relatives in fort worth, maybe i could make a little detour and go visit u this summer or something, might be fun.

T
Iam from Seattle area where exactly are you from?

im in bellvue at the moment.

motoman22
Bellvue... as in the loony-bin? LOL!

lol, im living there with my fiance while i save up money for a house. One of my good friends in seattle's father owns properties for a living. i did some auto/system work for him a couple times, so hes just paying back the favor. HUGE house, good neighborhood. they live on beacon hill, lol, damn rich chinese ppl, hehe. yes, i said rich and beacon hill in the same sentence. there are a few parts of beacon that have huge 3-4 story houses. he lives in one of them, and he only ends up claiming around 30-40 grand on his taxes a month. because he doesnt really make that much, he just "owns properties" hehe, good stuff.

sorry if i bored you with my story, i just have a lot of time on my hands until i leave for work :)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us