Sub frequency help

Bronze Member
Username: Dupe112309

Post Number: 73
have 2 type r 12s on a zx1000.1 at 2 ohms. Also have spx 13ref for fronts and spr 13c for rears. have zx350.4 for the speakers. In a 2000 mustang cpe. What do you think would be the best way to set up the frequencies? listen to rap/hip hop. Also.....these amps are mounted on my box and seem to be getting hot after say a 1/2 hour of listening. gain is set to under half on both of them, i'm new to car audio so this may be normal.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 925
amps getting warm is normal, but not HOT. make sure your bassboost isnt on on your sub amp.

freq. should be set like this:
sub amp - 80Hz
comp amp - 100-125Hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
why shouldn't my bass boost be on? if that is set to 0 and the bass boost remote is set to 0 there is basically zero bass. i have had it at like 1/3 on both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
will it be safe if i dont hear distortion with the bass boost set between +3 and +6db and turn the gain up to more than 1/2? i always thought with the gain up at more than 1/2 would be bad. or maybe even just turn the gain up more than 1/2? I noticed the bass i was getting was not "true" bass, and when i turned the bass boost down it sounded better but not the trunk rattling kind. So....I guess im wondering if my gain is set to more than half is that ok? I heard the kicker amps can take a beating and so can the type r's.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 928
the gain is not a volume knob. you can set the bassboost for a lil bit but not too high, it will cause distortion.

what is your box like? sealed, ported?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
it is a ported box 4 cubic feet, tuned to 35 hz. the type r's aren't even flexing with volume at 20/35 gain half with 0 bass boost. they're getting 500wrms each though. I have a bass boost from 0-18db on my amp, and a bass remoite from 0-12 db. which do i use? my bass remote really turns the bass up a lot

Username: Eriartika9

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 6
Yea dude listen to Abarca on that one. Bass boost is a dangerous thing to get involved with. Best leave it alone. There are adjustments you can make. Does your amp have a subsonic filter?

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 7
While were at it..what are the specs for the box? You said 4 cubic feet. That is not done to specification for that sub. Not that sound experimenting is against the law , but those bad boys are tested thoroughly in different conditions. The Alpine R's max out at 1.7cu. ft. in a ported/vented enclosure. Would that be an issue or did you build or get the box becuase it performs well in it.

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 9
3.4total cu. ft. of course. My ideas are just thoughts of course. It worked with other systems I had in the past, but many different perspectives.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
i had fisher customs make the box. they said that 2 cu. ft for each sub was what they made most of the time as that created the best sound. Yes it has a subsonic filter on it, but all it has is on/off switch. right now nothing is dynamatted, my car is a moving vibration, so that may have something to do with getting weird bass. if i turn the volume down and there is no vibrating trunk, etc. then it sounds real nice. right now i have bass boost on amp set at +6db and the remote at like +4db

Bronze Member

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 11
I see. I only say because some sub-sonic filter let you adjust the frequency for frequency tuned boxes. Also if those guys think it sounds good then who am I to disagree. Do you have a beefed up charging system? Last question. What kind of car do you have this stereo in?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
i will probably install a capacitor this weekend, but my headlights dont dim at night. i have it in a small 2000 mustang coupe. it gets loud pretty fast. should i turn the subsonic filter on?

Bronze Member

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 17
I would try that, but I don't know if it needs more than that for adjustment. Try it and if it does not work talk to the other guys. They are very knowledgeable.

Bronze Member

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 18
Also. A Mustang should freakin' bump to no end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
oh it does. but the problem is nothing is dynamatted and everything's vibrating which is why i think the bass sounds weird.

Bronze Member

Derby, CT USA

Post Number: 22
Dude do you have Mach 460 in that car. I love those systems. Pain to replace, but excellent when adjusted with aftermarket Head Unit. My buddy has a Mustang with that and two Precision Power Subs hooked to a Directed Amp. It sounds nasty with the dynamat. He has a sealed enclosure for the SQL of course and because the trunk is not big it bumps.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1538
The remote knob for that amp is not a bass boost or gain control. It's a bass level. It will only let you turn it up as far as your gain is set.
Also, a cap won't solve your problems so scratch that. Set your gain with a DMM, and I would just turn Bass boost off for now.

How odd does your bass sound when cranked? Does it hit harder on some notes than others and maybe mellow through quicker stuff? Or do the subs just not have a clear sound?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1539
and leave your amp remote turned all the way up while setting your gain. Turn your Subsonic filter on too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
to rob-i didn't have the mach 460 so it wasn't a pain to install. type x components for fronts type r coax for back and 2 type r's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
so you're saying i should turn the bass all the way up on the amp, and the bass boost all the way down on the remote? what do you mean by my "amp remote"? the subs sound clear, just with the bass boost centered at 40hz i hear those notes a lot more. what is a DMM? I also heard it takes a month or two before the type r's break in and sound their best/loudest.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1542
I don't have experience with type R's, but break in should help alot.

You have a bass knob/remote for your amp correct, mounted on your dash or somewhere up front. It won't bypass the gain like most remotes, or act like a bass boost. It simply lets you turn it up only as far as your gain is set.
This thing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-Car-Stereo-Remote-Bass-Control-Knob-and-Cable_W0QQite mZ190222098819QQihZ009QQcategoryZ12040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Turn this up all the way BEFORE you reset you gain, then your sure not to drive your amp into clipping.

A DMM is a Digital Multimeter. This will explain how to set your gain...
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/audio-video-electronics/1 65526-amplifier-gain-setting-tutorial.html

And bass boost will creat a peak in the frequency at 40hz with your amp. If you have your gain set properly, meaning gain is set as high as it can go without clipping, then when the Bass boost is on it will push that givin frequency (40hz in this case) past what the amp can produce cleanly. So you have have a clipped signal in just that givin region.

Now technically just because you use the Bass boost will not mean you are pushing your amp into clipping, there is just a much greater chance. That is why you should use it with caution. Read up a bit on it to fully understand what it does, then you can make the desicion as how you want it set. bcae1.com is a great place to start.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
yup i will just have to tune everything again. i'll put bass boost all the way down it sounds so much bettter. i really dont think i need any boost in my stang cause that thing gets loud haha. question though will i need any bass blockers for my speakers? cause i can just set the frequencies on my speaker amp right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
also for finding my gain setting...if i have 500wrms going into each 2 2ohm subs, how would i put that in the equations. is it like 1000wrms times 4 total ohms? Also can i use that for my 4 4ohm speakers?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1543
As far as gain, you would use the final load that the amp will see, as in this case your zx1000 will see a 2 ohm load, assuming you have dual 2 ohm subs/ coils series/ subs parallel

For your zx350, each channel would see a 4 ohm load, assuming you have 1 speaker on each channel correct? So set it for however many watts your amp will produce @ 4 ohms per channel.

You won't need bass blockers. Set your amp so it cuts off the bass where your sub amp starts, meaning if you have your sub amps LPF set @ 80hz, set your speaker amps HPF @ 85ish hz, or until it sounds good and there is no frequencies overlapping or a big gap between the two either.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
oh alright yeah it sseeing a 2 ohm load for subs and 4 ohms per each channel. so it'll be 1000 @ 2ohms and 240@4 ohms?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1551
Yes 1000@ 2 ohms. Do you have the birth sheet for your amp? You can enter what the birth sheet says if you want to get that extra bit of power, but it won't make a big difference.

For your zx350.4, you will use 60w @ 4 ohms, since you will set your gain using only 1 channel and the output from all will be equal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
oh ok thank you very much you're a great help.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1563
No problem, glad I could help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us