Gah...08 Altima coupe 3.5 vs 05 GTO

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 177
Alright. So first off, the deal is that since my dad won his lawsuit against 3M, and is waiting on his settlement to come through, he will be winning a large sum of money. He agreed to spend so much on each of his 3 kids. Me being the youngest of 18, we all are pretty much starting our lives so this is a great thing. He plans to get me a car, since I no longer have one and have been driving his truck to work. He is also getting me a car as a present since I am going to the US Coast Guard. But I had pretty much decided on an 05 GTO, even talked to a guy who was selling one. But my dad is kinda leaning me away from it, and I am also trying to think more logically. I mean, I want a fast car, coupe perferably...but GTO gets 17 MPG in the city and runs on premium. Small cargo space. Will be driving a lot, especially driving back from North Carolina where I hope to be stationed, to Kentucky to visit family. So he is talking to me about a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE. 270HP V6, good size space, MPG is pretty good compared to the GTO. So I feel like a girl right now, in the sense that I can't make a decision.

Altima Coupe 3.5SE vs GTO. Help. Or even suggest another car kinda in the same category. V6 or V8, 4 or 6 speed manual, good power. Please help me

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1897
Tell you what, if you want a great car the gets decent gas mileage, the 03-04 Mustang ach 1 would be something to lok at. Trunk has more space than the GTO, faster than the GTO, and mine got 30+ MPG on highway believe it or not and ran a 12.96 in the 1/4 with 34 mils on the dash. You can still find them with less than 20K easy on ebay around $17K-$20K.

That will give you a little more of a choice. Would you go SUV with good mileage?

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 907
maybe take a look at the new honda accord coupe. they look pretty sweet.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 178
Well, that was something I was going to mention in my post, I dont want a mustang lol. Only mustang I would ever get would be the new body style cobra. And thats not gonna happen for under 25k. Thanks for the response though. And I have looked at one SUV that I kinda liked. Nissan Rogue...but it has a 4 cylinder engine, 170 HP. I was wanting more than that. But what kind of SUV did you have in mind?

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 508
Your choice is between a heavy GM V8 or a Nissan 2-door?

With 25K I would go to your Honda dealer and buy a brand new Civic. Get the EX, the alloys, all that sh*t and call it a day or If you want to drive stick, get the SI.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 179
Well, I hate civics. That is the problem. There is so many of them, everyone likes them, and I am not like that. I would get a 350z if they had a backseat in them. And the main reason Im starting to turn down the GTO is the trunk size [7cu ft] and the gas miliage on premium. I like the altima coupe 3.5, throw a turbo on there and its over 300hp. More than enough for a 3.5 v6. I will look at accords, I know I havent looked at the new models lately, but I wasnt a fan of them last time i looked.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
the 3.5 liter starts at 25K.

http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator/app?service=external/SelectTrim&mo=2008: alc&bs=default

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 180
and the 3.5 accords start at 28k.

civics dont have a v6 do they?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9193
The gto definatley is not a wise choice for gas mileage so id skip that...one car that comes to mind would be a Mitsubishi Lancer evolution...it would still be fast and id guess decent on gas but your car insurance would be high im sure...but be responsible with that gas pedal

Gold Member

Post Number: 9194
im not sure how much that new lexus is thats like 5.4 seconds 0-60 but you might want to check that out also...I have no idea what the gas mileage is with that either

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 181
newer lancer evo's also start at 33k. Way to much for me right now.

Not sure which lexus your talking about, but the 2008 models, the IS is the cheapest series in lexus, and they start at 30k. Dont get me wrong, I love Lexus IS 300 [dont make those anymore] as well as the new IS 250's. Afraid Lexus and Acura's are out of my price range as well. be nice to see a new RSX Type-S.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
i thought u only had 25K?

Sentra SE-R is fast w/good milage.

EVOs are amazing cars, but not for ppl that just want to buy one and forget about it. In other words, its not extremely reliable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9195
what is your price range...^^^oh ok 25 k

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 182
Yeah, not crazy over Mitsubishi cars anyway.

actually had looked at the like 2004 sentra se-r spec v's, but the new body style on the 2008 ones, i just hate. to short and to tall.

price range is like 28k max. and i want a v6 or v8 that gets at least like 20 in the city.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
v8...20 in the city is IMPOSSIBLE.

Do the altima bro. If you want it, get it.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 183
Well, according to Nissan's website, the altima 3.5se is rated 19/27 city/highway for the 6-speed manual. those are the new 2008 [reconfigured] EPA standards, and if you actually look on the window of a new vehicle, it will say below it something like 15-23 city, 24-32 highway during testing. average is 19, and if you drive it right, keep your rpm's lower, CAI, ungrade spark plugs and wires, im sure this car wouldnt have a problem with averaging 20 around the city. but its gonna have more highway miles than anything, and really the MPG isnt the top factor to me, its gas prices that kill me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
"really the MPG isnt the top factor to me, its gas prices that kill me."

explain...they are directly related...

and if 20mpg is good enough for you, ok. But i'd get something at least rated 25 mixed...

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1503
black 08 nissa altima coupe. those cars looks hot wish i could afford one. lol

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 184
well ok. im going to the military, i will have a separate allowance just for my housing and utilities. then will have another separate allowance for sustanance [food, clothing, etc.]. my basic pay will basically be for gas, insurance, and whatever i want. its not like im going to be scrounging for money to buy say. yes, MPG is important...but im not basing me finding a car on this as my top point. and this car is rated with the new EPA standards. rated 19/27. best rated from the new EPA would be a civic which is like 35/41 or something. a lot of 4 cylinders are rated same MPG as some v6's. how is that?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5835
I would say new accord for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 5062
v6 vs v8 in gas .. you won't get very much difference.. and if your buying a car for speed your going to drive it.. with your foot in it they will all get crap for mileage

reason you see civics all over is they are easy to mod/tune and are cheap.. make great power and get great mileage.. until you put your foot into it :-)

you ever think about looking into a Subaru? reliable power with tons of options, plenty of room, AWD FTW :-) ...

BUT heres another option

25k .. you can get two cars.. buy cheap toy and build up and then buy something newer and more economical .. best of both worlds

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2097
I would get a truck if I was in your postition but thats just me. I love mini trucks and Ill prolly never go back to owning a car. The new Toyota Xrunners are sweet,I think they start at 24k and come loaded and I think around 240hp. Or a new Chevy Colorado Xtreme,those are nice too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5064
Subaru Forester 2.5XT :-)

Of course you'd have to get a used one.. but Stage II is only a COBB Acessport away (500 used .. 700 new) .. Stage II your looking at 300-315hp with just some exhaust work and a map uploaded from the accessport ..

Upload

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Feature
Tenth Place: The Quickest Cars of 2007
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_quickest_cars_of_2007_25_000_to_30_000_feature/2007_subaru_forester_2_5xt_feature

Gold Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1898
Well, I can't read half the post becasue of this retarded ad in the middle of the freaking page.

But anywho, the new body style stangs are ok, but I don't like how big they got. The Mach is another animal compared to all others.

I can't stand Pontiac period, they all look the d@mn same.

SUV wise, I have the Ford Edge, and at 60 mph, I get a good 28 mpg. DOHC 3.5 V6 and pretty quick. Waxed a 98 GT and a Acura RSX type S the other night hehe. At 80 mph I gt around 22-23 mpg. Has a 6 speed auto. You should check it out, great ride :-)

Kevin

PS: I'll take some pics far ya.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5065
or run a lgt like me :P http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_quickest_cars_of_2007_25_000_to_30_000_feature/2007_subaru_legacy_2_5gt_feature

about to do the 20g swap.. with meth injection i could be seeing 400+ at the wheels .. 500+ at the crank

i just think the car is sexy

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1901
Here's my baby.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll226/04redmach1/?action=view&current=bd994f1 1.pbw

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 603
subaru wrx sti as well

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20811
used honda s2000

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 9197
those are pretty sweet modified Chad

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20812
yeah and they are quick too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9198
they are v6's too I believe

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 908
my friends neon srt-4 smoked a s2000 easy.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1710
Get the new Honda Civic coupe or Accord Coupe if you want faster.

The new 8th gen (06-08) civics are the best car out there for the money IMO.

I have an 07 and couldn't be happier. I get 35 mpg WITH a 60lb sub, 70-80lb box, 20lb in amps, over 40lbs in deadener, AND a 200 Amp Alternator. Thats half city half highway milage I might add.

Take all that away and it should easily be in the 40's.

The interior is REALLY nice, very comfortable, I always get compliments.

The demand for this vehicle is very high, so it will be a good investment in the long run.

Smooth ride, not the fastest but I don't race so whats the point right?

Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20816
"my friends neon srt-4 smoked a s2000 easy."

thats nice but i'll still take a s2000 over a neon any day of the week.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5838
Neons are g4y and SRT4s are g4yer. I used to dust them in my 2005 Mustang GT.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 910
my friends sister has an 08 altima coupe and that car is nice...i would say go with that (in black like state said) and its pretty quick

Gold Member

Post Number: 5839
That being said, I like the Subaru idea or you could look into the Nissan SE-R Altima.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 915
the neon is pretty g@y but its d@mn fast! and ya i would take a s2000 over it too.

my vote tho still goes for a new honda accord. they are pretty sick

Gold Member

Post Number: 5067
on the dodge neon srt4 .. in the long run.. they are still a neon :P

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 917
i would buy a 04 dodge intrepid lots of trunk space great gas millage 23-26 mpg and can be modded up pretty nice

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4398
i would buy a eclipse gt w/ a v6. 3rd gen of course. maybe thats just cause i own a 2000 eclipse lol and its a great car 30 mpg and fast enough

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 185
Alright, so finally home from work to see tons of responses. awesome. But, I dont do trucks. dont really want a civic, if I go honda, it will be accord coupe. cant do s2000 cause i cant do a 2 seater. Neon, no thanks. Mustang, no thanks. I just cant do those. I like being the guy with a car that you dont see a lot of. I love the Scion xB, just wish they had a v6 option on those. If they did, I would be sold. subaru, well i really havent looked at those to much. but do they still make the impreza? that, the forester, and legacy is the only cars i know of by subaru off the top of my head lol.

Gold Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1903
Thats why I got the Edge, not too many around here at all. I like to be different. Another reason I got the Mach 1 when I did. I was the first in the town to get one, and when I sold it, there was only 3 in town of 400K.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2896
how about a charger, the hemi shuts off 4 cylinders on the highway, either way nice ride with a nice amount of power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5847
scion xb is one of the uglier cars i've ever seen. i want to run them over when i see them on the road.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 186
well i currently live in a town of litterally 582 as of 2006 census. county may have 1500. and you would be surprised at the number of mustangs you will see. you can count at least 6 just going to the bank. about 2 out of every 5 cars around here, are mustangs. and i dont want one cause of that reason. not to crazy over chargers either, meh. and come on reece, xB's are pretty nice. lots of head room for a tall person [like me] lots of cargo room, leg room, and i like the look of them personally. course the aerodynamics suck...but honestly, what cars these days have great aerodynamics?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20821
get the 3.5 altima. someone parked one in front of my store so i got to see it up close and its very nice.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 919
derek you live in ky right which part????

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7921
hyundai sonata the new one are starting to get pimper and pimper everyday but the thing is that they are going the lexus way(luxury) but their not in that class. well not right now

but that is nto related to the two you mentioned but i had to say it ;)

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 187
I live in Inez. In martin county, far east in kentucky. like the little > part of east ky [right by west virginia] i live in the county above that. but my mom lives in campbellsville, ky. about an hour from l-ville. and i have a friend that lives up on poplar lvl rd in l-ville, and i go there every now and then.

glad to see chad likes the altimas ;)
pretty nice cars.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 188
oh, and personally...im not a fan of hyundai. heh, sorry.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1645
Def the Altima

GTO is nice but my firend got one and barely drives it cause of gas now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us