SoundStorm F500.2 Amp

Hi,

I have been looking at a SoundStorm F500.2 Amp to power my two 12" MTX Thunder6000 subs. Looks like a good match... 500Wx2 Max @ 2 ohms (same as the subs). It says 200Wx2 @ 4 ohms... figure it sould be 250 or more at 2 ohms. It has 2x20A fuses, so it should be able to make 500w RMS (40Ax13V=520W). So, the point is, has anyone had experience with SoundStorm amps? I have been burned with cheap amps before (Cuspid).

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Whoops, meant 200x2 RMS @ 4 ohms.... left out the RMS part :P

teflondog
haven't heard much about soundstorm amps, but i think there was another post on them. are you on a budget? because mtx amps will compliment those subs very well.

Yes, it will definitely be on a budget. I would get an MTX if I had the money. I did have a Cuspid amp that I spent like $60 on running these subs, it worked great, but now the right channel is only putting out about 1/2 power. Never put less than 2 ohms on it, gain was set with an oscilloscope, etc. The amp was just a peice of crap, I guess. Anyway, I have heard bad and good about SoundStorm. I did find a nice deal on eBay, a Fosgate 1000w amp for only $40 more than the soundstorm, so I may just go for that.

Thanks,
Alex

BTW, the Rockford Fosgate is a 500s. Is this a good amp? It says 250Wx2 @ 2 ohms... Perfect for my subs, and I know Fosgate is a good company... But it is only $148. Isn't that dirt cheap for a Fosgate?

Thanks,
Alex

Also, do you think I should get a capacitor for this amp?

teflondog
the 500s is a good amp. it's very efficient meaning that it doesn't eat up your power. so a capacitor isn't necessary. it also puts out more than its rated wattage. a lot of the birth sheets i've seen for this amp say that it actually tested at about 547 watts. my store sells them for about $250 so that ebay price is a good deal. hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies, teflondog. I think I'll pay the $40 extra for the Fosgate. I will probably also get the cap, it's not a large chunk of cash for one off eBay ($40 for a 1.2 farad). Might be easier on the alternator, and a cap is much cheaper than a new alternator.

Thanks again,
Alex

teflondog
$40 is pretty good for a cap. a cap isn't necessary to protect your alternator since the amp isn't more than 600 watts. but you might want the cap to keep the big bass notes consistent. the only reason i would use a cap is keep the bass from drooping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us