If u no alot about cars

Bronze Member
Username: Dirtrider125

Post Number: 79
i have a 02 impala it was runnin good and smooth. now when i hit the gas it sounds like a dirt bike and doesnt have good acceleration like it used to. i was told by a couple people i might have a exhaust leak. does anyone no what the problem could be.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3896
sounds like an exhaust leak. start the car and look under it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
what do i need to fix it if it is do i need a full exhaust ima go to a shop and get it done but i wanna no wat i need and how much it should cost before i go so they dont try to overcharge me

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 261
Happened to me before, it had a hole i just went so they can weld the hole cost me about 40 bucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
did it affect the gas mileage

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 880
check the butterfly valve where your air intake bolts on and see if it has alot of gunk on it it may be sticking

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1183
check your spark plugs to , a exaust leak dosen't always equate to a loss in pickup or horse power, it could also mean you blew the baffles in the exaust due to rust it's happened to me a few times.also a 02 impala would have electronic fuel injection and choke wouldn't it? not a carb? so there fore the butterfly would not be the cause. it sounds to me like 3 things, 1. your exaust, 2. you fouled a spark plug and should drop a new set in. 3. a electronic fuel or map sensors going bad along with the exaust.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 279
clogged od damaged catalytic converter?
just a thought..

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 881
butterfly valve is for air not fuel

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1185
what do you think a electronic choke is?

"as i said , don't 02's have electronic fuel injection AND CHOKE"

choke aka butterfly

Username: Lowriderbassking

Post Number: 3
I you want, hit the cat, If it rattels then Replace it. A clog cat would blow a hole threw your exhaust anywhere, because of pressure, it has to go somewhere. If your car is idling fine your spark plugs are fine. The cat would slow it down because of back pressure, but the more you excel, the bigger the whole will become.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 916
have someone cover up your exhaust from the back of your car, then press on the gas for a second, if its an exhaust leak, you should be able to hear where its comin from or a surging sound
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us