Just purched DLS up6 wondering about activevspassive

Username: Borkedness

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 9
hello, i'm doig my first high quality install, and since i do everything myself id like to try an active crossover setup now. I use a soundstream 705s, clarion pro audio hu with clarion field processor(7100). So from my mild reading, I simply take the 4 channels off my soundstream and run the first two channels to my tweets with hpf crossed at above 1khz? and channels 3/4 to my mids crossed a 55-3500hz. is there any additional settings i need to make on my HU? anything I should be careful of? I know i can easily blow my tweets by no crossing them over correctly but what do you guys think? do i have a pretty good grasp on this to give it a shot? and is it worth the risk?

thanks for any answers harsh/critical long as its informative!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12118
when running an active system there is a lot to consider. you need to get each driver properly positioned for ideal imaging and soundstage, and to avoid issues with things like beaming. You also need to set each speaker up for XO frequency, Q factor (slope), cut or boost, time delay for signal path length, and phase. That's for initial setup. After that, you'll want a parametric or 1/3 octave EQ to set the C weighted sound curve.

active systems are complicated, though worth it if you do it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us