Help! I need an amp...

Username: Jblfan8919

Colorado Springs, CO United States

Post Number: 1
So I just set up my car with (2) Kicker 6" x 9" 3-Way Speakers (055KS693), (2)240 Watt Boss 462 4 x 6 Inch Car Audio Speakers, (2)10" JBL Power Series 1600W Peak 400W rms each and now I am looking for an amp to run JUST the subs. The subs run at 400W rms each (total 800W rms to run both). So I am now looking for an amp. When it comes down to it...I don't know jack about what kind of amp I am looking for. Do I need one that will run 800W rms or MORE? Or 800W rms or LESS? I can't spend a lot of money either...don't have much. $200 max probably. If someone can help me out and explain to me exactly what amp I need so I am not greatly under powering my subs but at the same time not ending up blowing them that would be very useful. Thanks for the much needed help.

Post Number: 2
Also I forgot they are setup for 2 ohms and
it is Dual Voice Coil.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1542
there's no amount of power you HAVE to have. According to their power ratings they'd be best off with something close to 400w rms each (or 800w from a mono amp). That should get about the most SPL out of them with little risk of damage. A little more power wouldn't hurt, a little less isn't a problem either, but the SPL will decrease slightly.
You have a pair of dvc 2's, right? I would look for a mono amp that will give you 600-800w at 2 ohms.
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9477_Infinity+611A.html
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9795_Phoenix+Gold+Ryval+V8001.html

Post Number: 3
Yeah they are DVCs. I found some other amps on eBay for decent prices. There were some Hifonics, Lanzar and Boss amps that run anywhere from 900-1200W @ 2 ohms x 1 as mono amps or 2 channel. I wanted something from Kicker, JL, Hifonics, or JBL but couldn't find one that appeared to power the subs that was within my price range. But if I went with one of those that I found...would that 900-1200W range be overpowering? To the point of blowing the subs out? They read 1600W peak but my friend that gave them to me said don't go over 1300W. And I have never heard of anything from Phoenix Gold? How would you rate the quality of amps they sell since I see that is what you recommended to me on that 2nd link you provided because I see that it would run my subs so if you could get back to me on that, that'd be great. Thank you so much for the feedback also.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5306
matt can you save 50 more dollars?

Post Number: 4
Why do you ask?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1547
PG's lowest level stuff is still pretty solid.
Hifonics have some decent affordable amps.
Lanzar is iffy - their optidrive stuff is pretty good. Their Vibe mono amps are okay, but besides that most of their sales specs are WAAAY inflated - you need to download manuals to see what you're actually getting.
Links to the specific amps you're looking at would help.

Post Number: 5
So Opti, what would you say about the Hifonics 1200W BRUTUS BXi1206? Says it does 900W rms @ 2 ohms x 1 mono. Would I be okay on that? I found one for $165.00 but haven't purchased it yet. Waiting for opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5312
it might put 700w rms... i asked you cause you can buy a kicker zx 750.1

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1558
okay amps, like Julio said - probably not going to give you rated power, but not so low as to make a big difference.

They have their share of failures, but as common as they are the number of negative reports doesn't seem at all out of line.

$165 sounds like a pretty good price especially if it's new, even good if it's used and in good condition.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5316
yeah... Opti i'm still using my vibe 1800d it has worked flawlessly Over a year :D

Post Number: 6
Do u have a link for that kicker amp at whatever price u were implying?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1561
"yeah... Opti i'm still using my vibe 1800d it has worked flawlessly Over a year"

Good news. Not a bad amp at all for the price.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13693
id go hifonics since on a budget ....

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the input guys. It was very helpful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us