What's the reality of my HU's remote dying?

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2797
That's all i can figure it is. Today i was messing around with everything and got it to work, so i wire nutted everything etc. then i go to turn the car on again and notta. When i hook up the remote to just my c2, just my m1, or just my eqs, the power light comes on, but it's dim....

i have a panasonic cq-v7003d or soemthing so it's not brand new but i never imagined this could/would happened. unfortunately it's not under warranty anymore.....

haha this sounds ghetto but i dont have 500 bucks or more for a new HU on me with proms and sh!t around the corner, so could i run a remote wire from the distros with a on/off toggle switch? very very ghetto, but for the time being?? i need some bumps for the next month or so

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3832
how much stuff are you turning on with the remote? Whatever, Wire a relay into a fused slot on the fuse panel that livens up when the key is on. Then connect your shipt to the relay.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2798
an eq and 2 amps, so basically 3 things...could i have like killed it by doin' that?

is it too late to put a relay on the remote already goin to the trunk?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3833
maybe, Without putting a DMM on it. its 50/50. And if it still sends power when the HU is turned on, then yes you can use a relay on it. It only needs like .5mA to signal. So put a meter on that wire and know for sure.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2799
alright the remote was sending a little bit of power out. i hooked up the wires to the relay i bought but the amps/eq only click on for a second when i start the car and thats it?

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2800
and now i just hooked up a wire from the power distro to my amp remote wire and the amp wasn't going on. so now i'm almost thinking it's in the power supply somewhere, but my battery connection is fine, ANL isn't blown, so i am just stumped right now.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2801
bump any help?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3841
check your grounds. Do you have a meter? thats the way to fix it. see where the power is. whats its at, and where its going. You have either a power/rem/ground/amp/hu/ problem. With out a meter its all speculation.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2805
alright so i've got (car on) ~14 volts at the battery. 14 volts after the fuse. but at the distro's i'm getting 3 volts and 3 at the amps. now when i turn the car on, but the HU off, the amps/distros are seeing 8 volts. so i figure it's gotta be the remote wire. what numbers would you need to help pinpoint the problem. would the remote wire HU output voltage help the most?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3845
"14 volts after the fuse. but at the distro's i'm getting 3 volts and 3 at the amps. "

Theres the problem. Where are you losing voltage on a straight run from the d bolck to the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2483
yeah. It's gotta be between the fuse and the distro. Try pulling your power wire out and putting the meter directly on the wire and see what that reads. If that is low, its has to be the wire between the fuse and distro.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2806
damnit, i was hopin i wouldn't have to pull it...gotta take the seats and sh!t out. what the hell could be the problem in between the fuse and the distro... power wire cut?! idk how that could even happen

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2485
instead of pulling it, run some wire from the fuse to the ditro without hiding it and if that fixes the pro, then youre gonna ave to pull its

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2807
alright now i'm even more confused...

car on - power wire unhooked (dmm touched to end of power wire and ground) - 10 volts

car on - power wire hooked up (dmm touching end of power wire and ground) - 4 volts

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2487
hmm. just run a whole new wire and see if that solves your problem. never had it happen but my dad said it is possible for a fuse to go bad but still allow current to flow through it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7437
Wire nuts FTL. Those things really are sh!t. Use crimp connectors or solder.......

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2808
wait so should i try a new fuse?

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2809
god damnit, this blows. i just bought a new fuse...didn't change a god damn thing.

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2489
well that leaves the power wire. It cant be anything else.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4962
oh $hit wish i saw this thread earlier..

its simple.

you need a relay to run your REM wires to everything.. i had the same problem.. easy fix.. basically your REM wire off the h/u does not supply enough voltage to power on everything your trying to hook up hence the need of a good power source.. a relay will fix all your problems and fix turn on/off thump if you have it

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2493
he said the power wire itself doesnt give off but 10v max. That isnt his problem kevin. Well not his main problem anyway.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2810
well that's the thing kev. i've had everything hooked up for 3 months absolutely no problems...then all of the sudden, last monday, it conks out on me. so my first thought was a lack of sufficient voltage going into the amps/eq....not the case....i hooked up a relay but it changed nothing. i dont even know what to do anymore.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4965
sounds like you killed your REM by having too much running off it :-)

you can always run a new one off acc and have a switch

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2811
go figure...

just rehooked the relay and it works...i think i had the 12v in and the 12v on/off or something switched up the package was labeled kinda goofy...

welp, thanks for letting me waste your time. i only wasted 6 days of my own..

haha at least it works :-)

/end thread

Gold Member

Post Number: 4966
told you relay :-)

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2499
Sorry to bring this bac up but...

that makes no sense to me. The power wire wasnt even reading 12v. How is everything running like that?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us