Here one for yall

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 454
so basically i need to do a ALT relocation for my car, the only spot where i can stick it would have to be where the pulley is going backwards, so would it still charge if its going backwards? if it wont well since its gotta be rebuilt can dominick like wind the inside backwards?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7426
What the hell are you talkin about. Just get a bolt in alt.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 455
lol uhmm, i want to add a 2nd alt to my car basically, but the only spot is the alt would have to be bolted up backwards, so instead of the pulley turning clockwise it would be counter clockwise so would it still work?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4397
I would have to say it will produce power in both directions, it starting out as AC then converted to DC. AC travels in both direction and does not need directional windings, BUT there is a cooling fan(internal or external that will only cool in one direction, will become a puller instead of a pusher. Find a different place to put it like in the AC spot. Polo..

PS- I could be wrong, but not usually...

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6224
you are right polo, the fan is either LH rotation or RH there are some that are multi directional but that isnt likely on your car. you should be able to find a fan that will go the right way. but polo i believe the fan pulls the air forward.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 456
well its a irragi alt so imma try and get in touch with him see wats up

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 457
hmm, maybe get a diff type for the one thats gotta be mounted backwards one that's opposite from the stock one on my car, anyone know how i can find that out?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4401
It should pull air from the pulley towards the rear. This is because the rectifyer is in the rear, pulling area past there first would pull hot air from the rectifyer throught the rest of the alt which quite dence causing a greater thermal loss due to saturation/resistance change. Polo..

PS- How bout a pic of the engine.. ??

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 458
iight ill go grab a pic real quick

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6226
Sorry polo i got ya on this one
Upload

quote:

A point about the "AIR INTAKE," which is seen in photos of the alternators viewed from the rear, above. Clearly the author has written "air intake," and not air exit or air exhaust. The fan at the front of these alternators is an exhaust fan. The fan draws air in through the opening at the back of the alternator, where the air will pass through cooling fins at the rectifier heat sink. And the air will be drawn through the stationary "stator windings," where the air will also have a cooling effect. As usual with moving air through passages, the same fan efficiency will suck more air than the fan could blow through. That's why the fan at the front is an exhaust fan.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 459
Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 460
thats the spot where i want to mount it, the stock spot is on the bottom of the engine, and a complete pain in the azz to take on and off every month

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4406
Ummm Matt not everything you read is right! I just checked my Bosch 300 A alt which uses dual internal fans and it sucks from the front (pulley end) and blows out the back. There may be alts that would suck through the back but that would be inefficient because the rectifyer is the hottest part on the alt, due to the conversion. Also in a rear driven vehicle where the engine faces front to back, engine cooling fans would be blowing towards the engine and yes the alt totally negating the purpose for the alt fan sucking through the back. BTW I just started my car and checked to be sure and maybe delcos are the way you think, maybe this is why Bosch makes better alts but if I was to design one, would be just like Bosch's ! Polo...

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 461
polo help =]

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4407
Ok, here is what I found. Alts with external fans actually pull air from the rear, these are the ones with the fan by the pulley, very inneficient design if you ask me. the internal fan alt are the ones with no fan at the pulley and has a lot of holes in the case. Internal fan alts use two fans, the front one pulls air from the front and side blowing over the rotor and windings. The second fan sucks air from the side like the front and blows over the rectifyer and pulls the air from the first fan out the rear, much more efficient. Why do you need to relocate your alt? BTW what engine/year is it? Polo..

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 462
that is a 2000 2.5L in a cougar, and because i keep going through alternators, they have a problem with the alts being located on the bottom of the engine gettin all the road and no fresh air and moisture, plus i want two alts hehe

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6229
ah ok polo, reason i said that is that because i just got done rebuilding an alt for a 5.7 GM volvo and it pulled from the back to the pulley side this was in a boat though.

and yes i though about how it didnt make since for in a car but after finding that info i posted made me rethink. i did some more research and those are older alts pre 80s it seems and thanks for clearing that up it had me wondering tonight.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4409
Where is your AC compressor loacated? Polo

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 463
on the bottom of the car also, so i really wouldnt be gaining much by adding one there, i mean yea i would have 2 alts then, but then both would be on the bottom of the car

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

That one, Ohio

Post Number: 415
ok if your alt is messing up because of not enough air flow or road debri hitting it i had an ideafor mine anyways make a sheild that surronds the alt as big as you can get it and to cover as much as you can get a pvc pipe from front clip to pull in air and have it exit at the shield and have some point of exit for the air to circulate sheild prevents debris and water hitting the alt and the pipe gives the necessary air flow across it just an ideas to try
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us