Decisions, decisions

Username: Princevalorum

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
Okay, I'm completely new to all of this. I recently got my own car, my dad's old '95 Mazda 626, and I'm completely disgusted with the stock speakers.

I'm a lot more eager to upgrade the rear speakers (I know, it ruins the soundstage) because it's easier. I'm somewhat weary of ripping open my door.

I was thinking of putting a pair Sony XPLOD 5x7" XS-V5742A in the back. I know, you guys hate Sony, but I have a super tight budget being in high school. I'd only like to spend approximately $50 for the rears and $50 for the front.

My car has 5x7", so I figure I should get 5.25" for the front with an adapter. Do you guys have any suggestions for what would be the best within the measly $50?

I have the stock head unit. I realize I probably need to upgrade this, too. I don't know how much power it puts out. If you know of any "good" head units for less than $100, I think I could squeeze that in, too. I'm also weary of installing an amp.

I'm completely new to this, but eager to learn. I realize that my system definitely won't win any awards within that kind of budget, but at this point, banging on pots and pans it better than what I've got. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 792
save up man. dont even worry about the rear speakers, you dont hear them.

you dont NEED a new headunit to install an amp, all you need is an LOC and you can keep the factory stereo.

DO NOT get Sony!!!! << can't stress that enough

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16146
Look, not everyone can start out on the top. You're on a budget and that's understandable. Some lessons in life are best learned through experience and someday you'll look back on your choice of Sony and think "Damn, that was sofuckingretarded".

At least it won't be an expensive lesson.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
Okay, so Sony is out.

I'm looking at a pair of Polk/MOMO MMC525 now for the front doors. I'll get the 5.25 addapter to fit the 5x7 holes.

I don't know what an LOC is. The Polk's run up to 70RMS, but I have a strong feeling I'll never play them that loud. I don't want to lose my hearing. If I get a HU with a reasonable RMS output, like 20-30, that should be enough, right? I'd prefer to avoid the (seemingly overwhelming) task of installing an amp. I won't have to change the factory wiring to use a higher RMS, will I? These things come with two crossovers. Are those hard to install and will I even need them?

Am I tying my hands with this plan if I decide to add a sub later?

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions. Thank you very much for your time.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
Well, now that I looked at Crutchfield, it says that they won't fit. Is that because their site says that my car has 6x8 speakers when it really has 5x7, or because the speakers are too deep?

That's too bad because I've heard so many good thigns about them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us