DD 3512 vs Orion HCCA 12.2 (New HCCAs)

Username: Peakohm

Post Number: 1
I've been debating this setup for a while, looking for decent SQ but the ability to get loud.

DD Would go in a Ported 2.25ish Cu Ft. Box tuned to 38hz.

Orion HCCA would be sealed.

Got 1500 watts RMS from a US amp to push either of 'em.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Mach5Audio M...

Post Number: 1928
I dont think 1500wrms would be enough for the Orion,they can take like 2500wrms. Id go DD with that power.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3462
toigh one. if you are looking for more loud i'd say dd 3512 but if youre looking for anything else ive heard hcca is remarkable

the cisco kid

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3805
Somewhat similar drivers. Both were designed for SPL, but both ended up sounding very good as well. I have heard the HCCA several times and it is one of my favorite overall subs. It can get mind-blurring loud with the right amount of power and is also clean and uniform across it's range. It will be ok on 1500RMS but there are a few things to remember. One, these subs are very inefficient (84dB) and they need a ton of power to fully develop. Two, they are single voice coil. Three, they were designed by TC Sounds and anyone who doubts this sub has never heard one. The excursion and output has to be seen and felt to be believed. They sound amazing sealed too.

The 3512 is much more efficient (89dB) and it will reach potential on far less power than the HCCA. I would say anything over 800 watts or so will be ok. They can easily handle three times that but will still hit with under 1000. As with all DD drivers, they are very box-dependant which means that in the right box they can hit hard and still sound really good. In a poorly designed box... not so much. The one time I heard a 3512 was in a custom ported box in a Blazer and I was surprised how good its SQ was. They have also won a few SPL competitions.

Post Number: 2
Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I'll decide by the end of the week and let you all know (depending on which I choose)

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5380
Why would you go ported with the DD and sealed with the HCCA?

Post Number: 3
Brad, if you don't mind me asking one more question do you think that 1500 RMS to the HCCA would be enough for it to get "loud" (verge of unenjoyable listening) in 1.3 Cu Ft Box? Or with the power I have be better going with the DD? Thanks again man.

Post Number: 4
Reece- Just because of their recommended enclosure types I guess. From what I've heard the HCCA doesn't perform well in a ported, and that a DD shines in a ported. That idea could be wrong but it's the general feeling I got, even from orion tech support about going ported vs. sealed so I don't know...

Post Number: 5
ah hell, funky pups FTW

(but actually the DD3512)

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5404
hcca doesn't perform well ported? HA. who did you hear that from?

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 443
Go with the DD, but buy 1 of Rob's 3515s. More cone area = more spl.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/for-sale/473687.html

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3812
peakohm, yes it will get extremely loud on 1500RMS from a US amp. Remember that this driver can not be mounted on the sides and must be mounted facing up or down. It needs 2000+ to fully develop but that does not mean it won't pound at 1500. It is also a very heavy driver, if I remember right the 12" weighs in at 47 pounds.

The HCCA is optimized for sealed enclosures, and it is recommended by their techs for better control of the extreme excursion capabilities. Plus, they sound incredible sealed. I wouldn't go as far as to say they "won't perform well ported" but I would go sealed.

Post Number: 6
Reece- wish I remembered the name of the guy but he was at a snake pit workshop when he heard it from someone there. It could have just been in comparison to the sealed. I dunno.

Hurricane-Wish it was a 12. I'm actually going from a 15 to a 12 because it takes up too much room

Brad-Thanks again for the insight. Now I'm back to deciding with the HCCA. For some reason I keep coming back to wanting the HCCA. Hate choices like this.

-chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us