Power issue

Username: Ninjas

Post Number: 1
So, i recently hooked up my 1100 RMS sub, 2.8 farad cap and 2000 watt amp. When i turn everything up however, my lights STILL flicker and my stereo will shut off every now and then for a short period of time. any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7367
Lose the capacitor that won't help you.

Your system is shutting off from low voltage bacause your alternator can't supply enough current.

HO alternator is the ONLY way to fix it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 7957
"Lose the capacitor that won't help you.

Your system is shutting off from low voltage bacause your alternator can't supply enough current.

HO alternator is the ONLY way to fix it."

WRONG and NOT true. If this were true could you explain to me how there are guys running 16,000 watt systems for daily drivers? Oh I know how, they use large battery banks and when they get home at the end of the day they hook everything up to a charger and condition their batts and do it all over again the next day. Is this method practical? Not in my opinion but it definitely works. Do a little research M.S. .

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12115
kW isn't a daily driver. it's a pro level competition system, and the battery banks serve a purpose. You can't run the car's engine while being metered in most classes of competition.
The alternator is the main means of power in a car with the engine running, and if he wants an actual "daily driver" loud system without dimming lights, he's going to want a big enough alternator to supply current for his amplifier(s).

What he needs to realize however, is that while competition systems rely on burping, which maxes out the amplifiers for short bursts, he'll be using only a small portion of his rated power for listening to music, because he won't have the system at full blast the entire time, he won't be listening to test tones or specific frequencies used to get peak efficiency from a tuned enclosure, either.
music + moderate volume = probably <500WRMS, so he can get away with an alternator that is bigger than stock, but not necessarily enough to handle 1100 watts continuous.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7451
Haha if I had a nickel for every time I see someone get owned by GlassWolf I'd have bought the best system in the world by now

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8059
If I had a nickel for everytime you had sex M.S. I'd still be flat broke.

Please explain how anyone got owned by Glasswolf in this thread? There are plenty of guys running 16volt setups in their retarded daily drivers that also compete so the term daily driver is a bit ranged in it's use.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8060
"What he needs to realize however, is that while competition systems rely on burping, which maxes out the amplifiers for short bursts, he'll be using only a small portion of his rated power for listening to music, because he won't have the system at full blast the entire time, he won't be listening to test tones or specific frequencies used to get peak efficiency from a tuned enclosure, either."

This isn't entirely correct either, in bassrace or bassboxing it's far more than just a few second burp or burping at all, it's music. Then there's death match which is 5 minutes of pure woofer abuse you can do the research yourselves, you're smart guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us