Archive through November 07, 2005

Username: Capnfreeway

Post Number: 1
Hey Y'all
My brother's car went into the shop and when it came out the *beep*ing safe mode turned on and we ended up distroying the stereo trying to get it out to put in a new one, but the one I had didn't work with the VW Jetta. Now I got a new VW Jetta stock stereo for $4.95 at a thrift store and the safe mode...360 yee haw. Does anyone out there have the code cracker or is it impossible?
thanx for your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 32
goto either a stereo install shop or to a VW dealer and tell them your radio was stolen and you bought this at a thrift shopbut it's in safe mode. bring the reciept as proof. they'll take care of you.

Dan Walsh
Unregistered guest
Every site i've been to says to hold the MODE and SCAN buttons down, but that doesn't do anything for my 'premium' (ooh la la) 97 passat's radio. The word SAFE remains on the display, does anyone know how to fix this? It does have two scan buttons instead of one, i tried both separately and together, nothing has worked. Help!

Bronze Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 79
read my previous post to jesse.

Unregistered guest
Hi Steven Here in Hollywood ,I just bought a used 1997 Black JETTA MINT condition, 87K miles and yep.. SAFE is all I get too. but here;s what I figured out.

Power off and press MODE, then as you hold the MODAE button down power up. you will see a numerical number mine says 24 this is all I've acomplished thus far, hope to post more info.

Username: Codered362

Milford, CT

I have a 96 Jetta with Premium Audio. A cassette got stuck in the tansport due to a peeling label. After I extracted the tape, the unit had gone into SAFE mode - presumably some sort of tamper guard. I tried the above posted MODE instructions and IT WORKED. God I love this internet thing. Saved me a trip to the dealership and maybe some money ... "That'll be $85 just to hook it up to the computer and you'll have to leave it over night so we can check it cold and check it after it has warmed up to operating temperature."

Username: Codered362

Milford, CT

Post Number: 2
Uh oh - update on above.
The radio couldn't stay normal for more than ten minutes and then back to SAFE. Every time I did a MODE reset a number would show on the display. A number one bigger than the last reset. And it got to 21 and now won't reset any more.
$hit.

Unregistered guest
GREETINGS! I HAVE THE PASSAT AND THE RADIO CODE. HOW DO I ENTER THE CODE INTO THE SYSTEM? THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Unregistered guest
Hi there,

have a 1997 Jetta, what are the steps to put in a code for my radio....all I have done so far was hold down MODE and SCAN at the same time and then I enter the code, and pressed MODE and SCAN again to accept the code...it does not work....what do I do...help

Penal
Unregistered guest
Dutch:
You can put the code in using your preset keys 1-4. I do not recall how you get the radio to accept the code though. After reading this I am headed outside to see if I have a MODE and SCAN button.

Penal
Unregistered guest
Dutch:
You can put the code in using your preset keys 1-4. I do not recall how you get the radio to accept the code though. After reading this I am headed outside to see if I have a MODE and SCAN button.

Unregistered guest
I have a 97 jetta with a bose system and have the code but i dont have the manual and need the steps to enter the code

AshleyMarie
Unregistered guest
I have a 95 jetta that I just got, 84,000 miles...It's nice! Anyways,While driving it yesterday the radio just stopped and it said SAFE on it... Well, I have the radio code, but it includes the number zero in it... What the hell? Which button on the radio would be zero? I can't figure it out!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2266
AshleyMarie, what numbers can you enter? Is that the stock radio or was it replaced? Depending on the brand/model, some uses memory buttons as numbers. So button 1 = 0, button 2 = 1 etc.

Zach_Jacq
Unregistered guest
does anyone have the 98 passat manual? I'm having the same problem with safe mode after my battery died and was recharged. I know the exact instructions are in there and I have my 4 digit code. I lost the manual a while back though...

95VW
Unregistered guest
Once you enter the code you have to hold the radio station tuning button down, the arrow button that points to the passanger side of the car, till it beeps. Then the radio will turn on. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
turn radio off press and hold both up and down tunning keys, turn your radio back on and 1000 will appear. Then you can put your code in. press the 1 key to make it a 3 digit code. You have the option of zero with a 3 num code but only the num 1 as your first num for a 4 digit code. I don't know what you press after to enter the code. 1-2-3-4 will change each num in order. I spent 2 hours trying every posible code but to no avail. Someone said hold the down arrow facing the pasanger side and you should hear three beeps. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A '95 PASSAT AND THE RADIO IS ON SAFE MODE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR THE REASON THAT I DON'T HAVE THE CODE FOR IT. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN TURN ON MY RADIO AND MAKE A NEW PASSWORD FOR IT?? I REALLY NEED THE HELP ITS A B***H DRIVING WITH NO MUSIC.

Gene
Unregistered guest
From the "Operating Instructions: Sound System Deluxe" that came with my '94 Golf.

* Turn on radio -- the word "SAFE" will be displayed.

* First press the MODE button and then press the SCAN button and hold them down simultaneously until "1000" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. Do not, under any circumstance, continue holding the buttons down or press them once again. This would cause the radio to take the number "1000" as the code number.

* Using the first four radio station buttons, enter the code number found on your Radio Card. Use button 1 to set the first digit of the four digit code, button 2 to set the second digit, etc. The first digit of a four digit code must be "1". If your code number has three digits, the first digit on display must be set blank.

* Once the code is shown on the display, press and hold the MODE button and SCAN button simultaneously until the word "SAFE" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. A radio station frequency will automatically be displayed. The radio will now play once again.

If, when cancelling the electronic lock-up, a wrong code number is entered by mistake, the word "SAFE" will appear in the frequency display first blinking, and then continuous.

You can now repeat the entire cancelling procedure but only once. The number of attempts will be shown in display.

If the wrong code number should be entered again, your radio will be locked up for approximately one hour. The radio will not play. Leave the radio switched on. After an hour, you can cancel the electronic lock-up as previously described.

This cycle, two attemps - one hour lock-up continues again.

Anonymous

Does anyone have the owners manual for a 1996 Jetta? The dealer says there should be a standard code for the radio. Also my started is going out is this going to be a reoccuring problem? The cv boot is slipping too and I've only had the car for a month.

JLY
Unregistered guest
I have a 1998 Jetta. After entering the 4 digit code, I pressed the 'right' pointing tunning button (pointing toward the passenger side of the car) and after holding it for a couple of seconds, the radio accepted the code and the radio turned back on. ALL IS NOW GOOD.

gene
Unregistered guest
my 98 jetta radio doesn't have a mode button, now what?

sexy bob
Unregistered guest
help i have a 96 jetta need the code for the stereo please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gene
Unregistered guest
sexy bob....go to the dealer, mine just gave me the codes...and even set it for me!!!!

Username: Jmarchitect

Hi,

Gene's instructions are exactly the same for my car, '96 Jetta GLS w/premium audio. My problem is that I HAVE the code, manual, instructions, etc., but the SAFE message still appears. For the posters suggesting pushing the "right" tuning button; at what point exactly do you do this?

Thanks in advance.

Username: Jrath320

I recently bought a 98 Jetta GLX and the radio is stuck in SAFE mode. I have tried everything everyone has suggested, but nothing has worked. I even have the code written down on a piece of paper in my car. This is very frustrating. All I need is directions to have '1000' pop up. From there, I should be OK. My stereo setup looks like this:

> 1 2 3 MIX SCAN>
< MODE 4 5 6 SEEK PROG <SCAN

(I hope what I just typed doesn't come out looking all distorted).

Can anyone help me?!

Unregistered guest
what happens when you don't have the sound system manual, I just bought this car from the dealer 3 weeks ago, I changed the battery and now I get that SAFE display, I tried all the instructions above it all works but I do not have a code to enter. Am I dead in the water?

Unregistered guest
Greetings fellow VW radio problemo heads. I had a mechanic unhook my battery. No problem, except my wife threw the piece of paper out with our radio code on it. Our local VW dealer in Colorado won't even talk to me. Wants 200.00 to look up the code for the radio. I'm thiking about a class action lawsuit because of there stupid radio. I could buy a best buy radio for a lot less, and probably a lot better. Anyone know how to shut off the security feature of this radio, I'd love to ..thanks for any help. rich

heffer
Unregistered guest
yea my dealer wants $30 so could someone please tell me the 95 jettas radio code, since that seems like quite a rip off. thanks.

beulabelle
Unregistered guest
the dealer in San Francisco wants $75. can they do that? if i bought the car used and i am on their records as the owner, why do i have to pay them for a system they created to keep other people from using my radio?

christalle
Unregistered guest
i have a 1997 jetta glx and i tried over and over but i cant get the "1000" to display..anyone know exactly what to do in order to make it work?? the car has the bose system and i can no longer drive without a radio..please help

Unregistered guest
Konnichiwa B|tches

If you take the stereo out yourself the VW dealer will lookup the code for free. If you make them pull the stereo they will charge you a $30-$200 inconvenience fee. The number on the back of the stereo goes into there computer and comes back as the code to unlock your radio. The manual for the car stays that it's a free service.

Unregistered guest
I have a 97 jetta and i have the safe mode.it counted up to 21 after doing the power up mode button trick. now i can actually get "1000" due to the "<">" simultaneous pushing. My code is a 3 digit number i left the first "1" blank and proceeded to push in my code. I then pressed mode and scan together MY PROBLEM IS THAT IT SAYS CODE INSTEAD OF SAFE WHEN I DO THIS, THEN IT GOES BACK TO THE "1000". what should i do!

Ginmortal
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem, however I do have the code, the only problem is that the code includes a "7", how do I input the 7? Thanks for your help.

Unregistered guest
I have the owner's manual for my 97 Jetta, inside it says there is a seperate manual for the stereo system. I did not receive the second manual from the dealer and am now also stuck in safe mode. I am wondering if there are any "Generic" codes that may work for this OME stereo.I need a code without having to pay $45 for it to be looked up or without removing my stereo from the car.

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 44
moral of the story....dont jack a radio from a jetta

Username: Mazuma1999

Hey guys here is what i did to get my radio working. First (get the code, of course) Secondly. Press and hold the SCAN and MODE button simultaneously until you see the CODE 1000. With your code..using the buttons 1 thru 4. For Instance my code was 1631...Code 1 i didn't have to change anything..Code 2(the '6') ..I press the number 2 number several times until i reached 6 etc..ONCE THE CODE WAS ENTERED I PRESSED AND HELD THE MODE AND SCAN BUTTONS DOWN UNTIL THE RADIO CAME ON..I HOPE THIS HELPS....

Sadiedb
Unregistered guest
I have a '96 Cabrio with the VW Premium Audio radio, and it too is in safe mode. I have no manual but do have my codes. I believe I have tried all the combinations of keys discussed in this forum, but I can't get out of safe mode to the point where I can input the codes. Your ideas would be appreciated!

petyrc
Unregistered guest
Don't know if there is a generic code out there. I have a 96 Jetta L and the radio code was 1367. You can try that code and see if that works.

Sadiedb...

Press and hold the SCAN and MODE button simultaneously until you see the CODE 1000. Next using the buttons 1 thru 4, you will change the code from 1000 to your radio code. In my instance the radio code for my 96 Jetta was 1367...
For the first number of the code (1) I did not need to press any buttons since the #1 was already there. If you do press #1 button, it's going to mess up your code. For the second number in my code (3) I pressed the #2 button three times to get to three. For the #6 in my code I pressed the #3 button 6 times and so on for the #7 of my code. Once the code was entered I pressed the Mode and Scan buttons again and a radio frequency appeared. Bada Bing, Bada Boom

Unregistered guest
I bought a used 97 Jetta last week...75K miles and only 1300..problem is the parents who sold their sons car did not have any manuals what so ever!!! URGHH>>and reading all of the previous posts...it sounds like I am in trouble with my stereo being in Safe mode and not knowing any of the info needed to unlock. Can anyone help.....

Molton Boron
Unregistered guest
i have the same problem as everyone else. i jus recently bought a 98 gti, and it says safe mode. is the code in the car manual? or do we really have to go to a dealer?

Username: Iamstrong

Hey guyz...Now i've messed up my audio system trying to enter the damn code...can anybody plz tell me how to reset it again,,,cuz it keeps flashing the safe mode whenever i want to enter my code again...thanx

mehmet
Unregistered guest
Every site i've been to says to hold the MODE and SCAN buttons down, but that doesn't do anything for my 'premium' (ooh la la) 96 jetta's radio. The word SAFE remains on the display, does anyone know how to fix this? It does have two scan buttons instead of one, i tried both separately and together, nothing has worked. Help!

DavidScar
Unregistered guest
If your radio does not flip to "1000" but flashes "safe" this is caused by too manay bad inputs.

Turn ignition key as far on as it will go without starting the motor and leave it like thise for over an hour ( pull your headlight fuses #'s 1,2, and 3 so you don't drain the battery).

(get the code, of course)

Press and hold the SCAN and MODE button simultaneously until you see the CODE 1000. With your code..using the buttons 1 thru 4. For Instance my code was 1631...Code 1 i didn't have to change anything..Code 2(the '6') ..I press the number 2 number several times until i reached 6 etc..ONCE THE CODE WAS ENTERED I PRESSED AND HELD THE MODE AND SCAN BUTTONS DOWN UNTIL THE RADIO CAME ON..I HOPE THIS HELPS....

Unregistered guest
I have a 98 jetta I just baught used and I have the same problem. I have one of the two "code cards" remaining in my manual, but it says VWZY2Z7W or something just like that with a long serial number under it. Is a part of those my code? please post if you can help, thanks.

Post Number: 3
Wow...yu guyz 're awesome...it really WORKS...thanx davidscar...hey any 'f ya guyz out there having too many wrong input problems?...just follow davidscar's illustrations...thanx again guyz, yu just saved me $150 bucks

Unregistered guest
OK this is getting close to what I need, but not quite there. I have an '01 Cabrio. The radio shows SAFE then 1000 when you power it up. I have the 4 digit code, but no manual to tell me how to enter it. In reading all the above posts, my problem is I have no MODE button.

Suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Nevermind...I got it.

In my '01 Cabrio...

Radio will display SAFE then 1000
Use preset 1-4 to enter CODE
press on both up and down Seek simultaneously
Radio will display frequeuncy and viola! Radio is back!

Unregistered guest
i have a 98 jetta does anyone have the code to turn it on, the dealership wants $95 to give me the code that is a load of poo

Unregistered guest
I have a 1999 vw beetle. I have no manual.Is there a factory preset code to unlock the stereo if the code has never been changed?

Selim
Unregistered guest
i just bough a 92 passat, nthedealer i bought it from couldn't figure it out and vw dealers don't seem to get it either. the radio is stuck in safe mode and i haver no mode button. i do have the code. if anyone can help please do. thanks.

skb
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the instructions, Gene (Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 07:36 pm). I have a 1997 Jetta GL and these instructions unlocked my radio. My code is a 4 digit number, starting with '0', so I had to leave the first digit blank (the only choices were '1' or blank)... I guess a code starting with a '0' is considered a 3 digit number. Thanks again... ah the sweet song of music instead of road noise :*).

CFM3
Unregistered guest
I have a '98 Jetta GLX with Bose system. To reset radio:
1. Press simultaneiously and hold seek and bottom scan buttons until "1000" is displayed.
2. Release buttons and input code using radio preset buttons 1-4.
3. Press and hold seek & bottom scan again until "SAFE" appears again.
4. Release buttons and radio should start playing.

Username: Hydeta

Does anyone have a code for a 1996 Golf? I tried the other codes posted here and they didn't work. My dealership got a new system so they don't have the old codes. Its really annoying! I'm making a long road trip soon and i really don't want to buy a new radio.

Post Number: 4
Have yu tried "1400"?

Unregistered guest
My code that was in my paperwork was not the right code. I was putting it in properly and was still getting the "safe" indicator. turns out it was not the radio originally installed. I took it to the local VW dealership where they have very simple hooks to remove the unit, where the proper code was written in pen on the side. It's a good thing too, because the serial number came back "code not available" when he punched that in.

Spencer Ericksen
Unregistered guest
I drive a VW Jetta GL 1996.

I followed the instructions by Gene (Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 07:36 pm). This removed my unit from SAFE mode.

Since my 4 digit code begins with zero, I had to leave the first digit blank since the available options at this position are only 1 or blank. See also comment by skb (Posted Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:01 am).

trickyhenry
Unregistered guest
98 R Passat 20v Sport VW Passsat -
1. Hold TP & TA
2. 0000 Appears
3. Press digits 1,2,3,4 Until you have the correct code showing. For 2176 I press.
4. Hold TP & TA
5. 'LEARN' will be displayed.. wait.
6. Enjoy the tunes!

trickyhenry
Unregistered guest
98 R Passat 20v Sport VW Passsat -
1. Hold TP & TA
2. 0000 Appears
3. Press digits 1,2,3,4 Until you have the correct code showing. For 2176 I press.
4. Hold TP & TA
5. 'LEARN' will be displayed.. wait.
6. Enjoy the tunes!

CART Rulz
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,

I have a 1997 Jetta GL that has gone to the shop numerous times. I just got it back and the radio is in safe mode. I tried the mode/power up trick and it works, but only for 10 minutes, and each time I do it the number goes up by one. I also tried the mode/scan where it displays 1000, but I have no idea what my code is. I have tried 1631 and 1367 as posted above but they didnt work. Any ideas? I would really hate to bring this thing back to the shop and spend even more money on it.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a 97 Passat and I have the code. I left the car with the ignition switch on for 1 hour plus and the battery went dead. I recharged the battery and now the radio does nothing. It doesnt turn on or reset . How can I reset it to enter my code?

Unregistered guest
Hi Cart, I'm pretty sure by now you've gotten the answers, but in case not, the serial number to access the code you need is handwritten on the top of the radio. If you can get the radio out, like 8 bolts, then you can write down that number. Call or take the car to the dealer with all your numbers, VIN and that handwritten serial number. They should FOR FREE give you the code. If you can't access the radio, you'll have to bite the bullet and take it to a radio shop or to the dealer to get the radio out. This is the only way, unless you're lucky enough to have your car "on record" at the dealership already!

Dan you've got more problems than a code. The no power issue isn't part of the shut-down safety mode.

Matt-man
Unregistered guest
Hi,
97 passat. I've entered my code, and returned out of safe mode, and the stereo seems to be picking up radio stations indicated by th ST when i get a good strong local station, but nothing comes out of the speakers. No fuzz, no hiss, no music.
The speakers are there, but even if they are blown, they would still crackle (i'm actually a sound guy)
any idea's???

toddmiles
Unregistered guest
For my 96 Passat it was MODE and <SCAN (note the left scan button) Should get a 1000 displayed. If it flashes and then goes back to SAFE mode you need to leave the radio on for an hour. Then try again. It is a little tricking but the one button controls the first digit, 2 for the second, 3 for third, 4 for fourth. You press the button to count up to the number.

Also, the older guy at the dealer showed me that my code was also next to my spare in the trunk on a green sticky note. The younger service rep wanted to charge me an hour labor to pull the radio.

unkyD
Unregistered guest
Ok, I've got a "95 Cabrio. My radio went to SAFE after changing the batterie. To reprogram it if you have your code #, I could turn it on and then hit Seek and both Scan buttons together. This gave me a screen showing the #1000. Enter the code as described above.

I did not know my code and could not find it anywhere, so I took the radio out - not a simple task but not too bad. You will have to pop the vent guides out because 2 screws are behind them. Pop the corner molding on the right of the radio off and the buttons/molding to the left as there are screws behind. Then on the left of the steering wheel you pop all the switches out cos there is a screw behind them. Then you unscrew the molding around the key hole to remove it so you can get the molding that surrounds the Dash meters out. Now, finally you can pull the molding that holds the radio out. You can disconnect the cables on the back remembering that black goes on the bottom. My radio had no information on so I called the dealer and had to give him my VIN of the car and the VIN of the Stereo. He then called me back 15 minutes later with my code #. Unbelievable but true. Good luck!

Dominick
Unregistered guest
I have a 1996 passat the method to reset is seek and <scan this brings up 1000 then you set the code

bk
Unregistered guest
soo, in my 96 jetta gl i use a tape addapter for my ipod and occasionally when i eject the tape the tape doesn't come out and it displays "er 8". it will allow me to listen to the radio but will not do anything with the tape. eventually, sometimes a few days, the tape will eject but i was wondering if someone knew what the error ment and if the was anything i could do so this doesn't happen anymore.

Unregistered guest
I have a 1998 passat that i just got and like everyone else i have the safe mode thing going on. I have taken it in to the dealer 3 time to have them reset the radio here in colorado and each time it has costed me $35.00. Same dealership different technitions. they all say my code is a generic for the 98 all models but yet it does not work. Anyone out there who has a 98 code please help me out. Ill try them all if I can save some money. Thanks,

Unregistered guest
update. pulled the radio to check if there was a hand written tag #. did not find a tag but did find that my radio is out of a 2000 model year. must have been replaced by previous owner. so if anyone has a 2000 year code this could help. thanks

Katone
Unregistered guest
on my 2003 passat GLX (monsoon sound system), the LCD simply shows SAFE. It doesn t blink or show anything else than SAFE..
I tried unpluging the battery, leaving the radio on for an hour, and mess around with the buttons for a whiiile.. still: SAFE!
I have the code, but I can't enter it!!
any idea any1?

Username: Adhammancini

Canada

when the battery is disconneted, the radio is on SAFE mode, to unlock that you need to press SCAN and MODE together till you see 1000, and then enter you radio code.
If you enter the radio code incorrect more that once the radio is locked and you word "SAFE" keeps blinking instead of showing you 1000 when you press mode and scan.
So you need to keep the radio on for one continuos hour, then it will automatically unlock and you can then retry entering unlocking the system using mode and scan ..see above

Katone
Unregistered guest
The Monsoon is my passat doesn t have a MODE button.

plz look at the linked pic below (similar radio than mine), any suggestion?
http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/81/dc/b8_1_b.JPG

Unregistered guest
i just purchased a 95 passat vr6 and my audio system is in safe mode i do not have the code and the dealers are no help please what do i do thanks

Unregistered guest
I have the safe mode thing on a 98 Beetle after changing starter.I have the code,but do not know how to enter it,as i have no book..This does not have a mode butten to push after entering code.What buttens do I push and when,How do I push them?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 280
bugsonnuts...

ROFL, that is an awsome name. you need to register that sh!t

Unregistered guest
I'm not seeing a solution to my problem in all these posts. I have a 98 Passat and have reprogrammed the radio code a few times already. This time I had a new battery installed but can't get the radio to work again.

When I turn on the radio, it goes into SAFE mode but then all by itself it sets to 1000. ( I don't need to press scan and seek to do this)

I enter the code. (which has worked before)

Then simultaneously press seek (no mode button for this model) and scan. I press for long periods until my fingers get purple. I do quick presses.

The code I've entered continues to display. The radio doesn't turn on.

Any one ever conquer this particular problem?

Unregistered guest
Regarding my above post. Sorry I meant to say I've reset the radio code, not reprogrammed it.

Post Number: 5
Hey guyz..
I have a 94 golf, & my problem is not with da codes, but the sterio itself...It rejects any tape when slotted in, so i'd like to know a good repair shop where i can fix it.
thanx.

berto
Unregistered guest
ok i just entered my code in my 1998 jetta glx with the bose radio. ok guys there is a big difference in inputting these codes i guess its the different radios, in my car, press and hold seek and then the bottom scan button, then enter the code then seek and scan again. good luck with your bose radio.

Bad Captain
Unregistered guest
Just bought a 96 Passat GLS VR6 and guess what, the radio was in safe mode. Just wanted you guys to know that someone on here said they found the code on a sticker in the spare tire well. Went and looked in mine and there was the code hand written on a sticker. Thanks so much, you saved me some money and hassle. Have a great day everyone. Rick.

cate
Unregistered guest
i have a 92' jetta. the radio is in "safe" mode, with no owners manual. it blinked "code" and before i had a chance rationally think things thru, i started pressing random preset numbers on the radio. (i've never owned a car with a stock radio to understand this theft device). thru that fit of random pressing, i got to the "1000" where i could enter my code. well at the time i didn't have it handy, so it went back to blinking "code" after about 30 seconds. since then, i've pulled the radio out and have my code ready to go, but now pressing all the buttons suggested in this forum will not get me back to the "1000". it's almost as if i had one chance to enter the code in and i screwed it up. My radio is the type that DOES NOT have a "mode" button. Can anyone help me figure out how i can get a second chance at entering the code? there is one post here which suggests leaving the radio on for 1 hour before trying again. i have not tried this yet, but is this the ONLY way? Thanks in advance....

Username: Jmarchitect

Post Number: 2
Cate,

If your radio is the model "88," I may have the manual for it. My '91 GL has that model, so let me know.

john has a 97 jetta
Unregistered guest
Yea the holding scan and mode worked for me.

cate
Unregistered guest
Update: I got my radio to work, YAY! here's how i did it...

as previously mentioned, i have a '92 jetta. my radio does NOT have a "mode" button so most of these posts did not apply to my prodlem. when the word "code" flashed on the screen, i pressed preset button #4 only ONCE, and 1000 appeared. repeat: i only pressed preset 4 one time.

then i keyed in my 4 digit code which was hand written on the back of my radio. the moment i set the fourth and final number in the 4 digit code, the radio went back to the tuner automatically. i did not need to press anything else aside from the 4 digit code.
Now, i also learned tonight that at first you don't succeed entering your code, turn the radio off then on again, and leave it on for approximately 5 minutes and then try again with this procedure. you know you've screwed up the process if the word "code" appears but doesn't blink. you will know the machine has reset itself when "code" starts to blink again. it is ready when "code" blinks. give it anywhere from 5-10 minutes for this to happen.

Unregistered guest
I have a 2001 Passat that is in SAFE MODE and the manual that I have doesn't have a radio code.....Does ANYONE have the code for this model? I would really appreciate it!!!

Ashley :-)
Unregistered guest
Hey Everyone,
Does anyone have the code for a 2001 VW Passat?

Unregistered guest
it actually is the radio code...car is in "SAFE MODE"....i would really appreciate it?

tylerp
Unregistered guest
you can go to an auto parts place and get a tool to take the radio out or bring it to an audio shop and pay them to take it out and get the serial number off the back and bring that serial number to the dealership and they have to send it to germany and germany sends them the 4 digit code..it is cheaper to take it out yourself or bring it to an audio shop than getting the dealership to take it out

Unregistered guest
tylerp.....is there another way of going about this radio problem? Do you know if there is one standard code for a 2001 VW paasat? Does every car have a different radio code? Thanks..... buying the auto tool to take out radio is cheaper than taking it to VW that's for sure. Thanks again!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4943
Ashley, unless you have some experience with electronics, it won't be that simple. First, you have to find out how to take the cover off, then the hidden screws/wires. The serial numbers are usually located under the unit or at the back. You will need to pull it out completely.
Over all, you might spend anywhere from 1 hour to few hours.
The pros of doing it yourself is, you will gain valuable knowledge. The cons of it is, you will lose on time.
If your radio/cd player is factory unit, most of them only cost $30. The labour charge will probably be over $50. You can get a decent unit for $99. Some shops will install it for free.
If all this sound too difficult, then just email your VW dealer and ask/demand for the code. Normally, the code comes with your owner's manual.

Unregistered guest
Isaac, Sad to say but when I got the car the manual doesn't have the radio card with the code. I contacted my VW dealer and they said that they will charge me 45.00 (i think that's excluding the 90.00 labor fee) to take out radio and get serial number to get the code. That is why I was trying to find out if there was a standard code for the 2001 passat that I could use to get my tunes back....thanks for letting me know how difficult it will be to take out radio on my own

Gold Member

Post Number: 4959
Ashley, at that price, you might as well get a new radio. It'll be cheaper and better than the stock radio.
I really don't understand why car manufacturers do that with their $30 radio. No one's going to waste time to steal "stock" radios. Not even the newbies.

new passat owner
Unregistered guest
At least for my 98 gls v6, here's what you do:

Take an old credit card, walmart card, rewards card, whatever. Cut 2 strips at least 2.5" long and slightly narrower than the slots on the side of the radio. Push them both in all the way at the same time. The radio pops right out. On the top or side of the radio there is a serial # stamped in the metal. Mine's a clarion unit, and started with vwz.... Get this and your VIN # ready and call your dealership. They gave me no hassle and didn't try to charge me anything. Enter the code by using the numbers on your radio (pressing 1 the right# of times to get the first digit of the code, pressing 2 to get the 2nd, etc). then i held the (track ->) button for 2 seconds, and it worked.

removing the radio was not hard at all, putting it back was as simple as sliding it back in and pushing until it clicked. I found that completely unplugging the unit made it a lot easier to get to the numbers.

don't pay a dealership $100 for something that can be done in 10 minutes by a 1 armed baboon. the key is to make the little tools to remove the stereo, otherwise it'll be a huge pain. look for a picture online of the vx/audi/bmw radio removal tools to get an idea. don't worry about the shape of the ends. doesn't seem to matter.

hope this helps.

CosmoP
Unregistered guest
I just called both VW dealers in town to see if they can give me my code from the VIN#. They both said I need to bring the car to the dealer. That BS, Next to the defective power windows ($350 a pop) this is really pissing me off to the max.
At least I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Now's a great time to get that XM radio upgrade

Username: Vicmarlene

Hi could anyone help me i recently bought a 96 jetta and the radio inside sais safe mode i dont have a code or anything for this how can i reset it if anyone can help i would really apreciate it THX

Grizz
Unregistered guest
My dealer tried to charge me 80 bucks to get the code, even though I had already pulled the radio and written down the serial number! So good luck everyone, I still have no music. But I will say this, for my 98 Golf I used 4 rather large nails to pop the radio. It's easy. There are 4 holes, one in each corner. Put the nails in an inch or so and push them outward. All at once (that's the hard part). The radio will then slide out. It might help to pop off the plastic dash pieces next to the radio to get a better grip when pulling the radio out.

Kmellion
Unregistered guest
This is totally crazy....so Grizz you actually took your radio out and the VW dealer still wouldn't give you the code! ridiculous!!! Marlene from what I'm reading here it looks like you have to take the car to the dealer and pay to get your tunes back if you don't have the radio code... Unless their is a standard code for your jetta...then maybe that can work... :-(

Unregistered guest
Does anyone think that there is a standard radio code for a 2001 Passat? If anyone has the manual for a 2001 Passat...Please help....Maybe it would be better and cheaper to get a whole new radio system.....

Unregistered guest
i have a 96 jetta glx and i remove the stock deck myself with 4 pieces of coat hanger. i took it to the dealer with my vin # to try to get the unlock code and they totally bullpooped to me the whole time! they tried to tell me they have to scan the thing while its plugged in the car and get the code from some german thing i told them it was bullshit straight to theres faces! i just want the damn unlock code!!

MichealJacksonsPetsBrothersUnclesSistersCerealBox
Unregistered guest
k... here is a problem if anyone can solve it... 98' jetta here, right? did seek+<scan delio.. got to 1000... put in code...held seek+<scan again... no banana's... tried again with other possible code... no banana's.. now i know you only get 2 tries within an hour but what is an hour to this piece of sh!t??????? its been almost 4 days now and when i hold seek+<scan it just blinks the SAFE as if i still had to put in the code... is my radio messed up? and another question, I've heard there is a reset code to put in for the 1000 where it goes into every 95'through 03' stock radio but dont know where to get it. can i get some help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us