Help my sub isn't working anymore!!

Silver Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 141
Ok so last wednesday i was leaving a restraunt and my music was on very low volume like 3 or 4 and while i was talking on the phone i heard a strange noise come from my sub kinda like some pops and then the sub stopped working about a minute later it came on again worked for about 30 sec. and stopped again i didn't think much of it because i thought i just blew the in-line fuse(believe that's what it's called) it blows about once every other month because it's 10 amps smaller than what i originnally had so today i weant bought another fuse replaced it and still no bass! do you guys have any idea what the problem could be? i hope i didn't blow my sub also my amp to my sub is recieving power so... any help would be amazing thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1501
i highly doubt you blew it on Volume Level 4... chwck your Grounds and power wire.. Rca's in back of Hu might be coming loose... many things can be the problem... 95% sure it aint blown tho

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 142
I hope so i know my RCA's are fine,power and ground i assume are fine since my amp has that green light saying it has power. Anything else i can check?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15899
"and stopped again i didn't think much of it because i thought i just blew the in-line fuse(believe that's what it's called) it blows about once every other month because it's 10 amps smaller than what i originnally had"

You're ok with a fuse blowing every other month?

A fuse blowing is not a switch. It's a warning.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 143
i thought it was just blowing because it was a 70 amp fuse and i originnaly use a 80 amp but i can't get an 80 amp fuse unless i buy offline so i just used the 70....did i f$^k up my sub??

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1504
Hmmmm try.... Push ur sub in to see if it is blown if it is blown it will make a weird noise when u puch it in and be a lil hard to puch in... hopefully ti aint, but yea when ur fuse blows eva month it is not good...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15901
If it stopped working at such a low volume level I doubt your subs are damaged.

Sounds like a short somewhere.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1760
I just don't understand why you would not upgrade your fuse. You could of had a clipped signal run through and pop one of your voice coils. Just push on your sub and listen for mechanical noise.

Kevin

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 144
Ok,i pushed on my sub and i can hear a faint scratching or popping noise not exactly sure how to classify it but it's quite i had to listen very closely to hear it. is their a physical way to tell if it's blown like if i pull it out of the box is their something i could look at?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15904
There shouldn't be any sound at all.

A quiet free flowing movement.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 145
so what do you think that sound means? is it fixible?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5285
it sounds like your sub is blown. to fix it you will need a recone, unless its a cheap woofer and in that case you might as well scrap it. to make sure it is blown hook a dmm up to it and see what it reads. if it is close to the subs original impedance you can look elsewhere for you problem, if not you've confirmed you fucked up.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1761
She is done for. Mak sure you never do anything half @ss when dealing with electronics. Everybody does it once, but twice just shows your an idiot. So make sure to keep this that one time :-)

What sub is it?

Kevin

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 146
what exactly would i hook the dmm up to? and it's a Fi Q not that expensive but i love it. how much is a recone? and where do i get it done?

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 259
Do you have a home receiver you can hook it up to to make sure it works? Or you can hook up a battery to the posotive and negative tereminals to see if it moves.

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 2010
didnt have the bass boost on did ya?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2011
now that i read over what you said againt.sounds more like the amp.try a different sub on it and see if thats the prob

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 147
bass boost was on but barely up at all and gains were set low i don't have another sub either... : (

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4238
if it isnt a blown sub sounds like a grounding/ rca issue

Gold Member

Post Number: 2014
bass boost should never be used.it causes clipping.if you wanted it loud you shoulda got the right subs and box

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1605
"bass boost should never be used.it causes clipping"

That is not a true statement. Some amps can produce a certain amount of "bass boost" without clipping.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5290
you hook the dmm to the push terminals which connect to the coils. im 99% sure you sub is toast though. contact fi and send your sub in for a recone. dont make the same mistakes again...

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 843
rofl if its not blown which it really sounds like then it would be the rcas i've had them unpluged for a week and think my amp was dead

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 148
sorry I'm a little confused on how to test if it's blown.. it's a dual 2 ohm so there is 2 push terminals on both sides.. would i just hook it up to 1 + and 1 -? what ohm would i look for? it was set up for 1 ohm. Just want to be sure before i contact fi and send it in.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7381
" bass boost should never be used "

x2

If the sub makes noise when you push on the cone it is definetly damaged.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3790
Sounds to me like the coils warped or were forced out of alignment somehow. It doesn't always take too much power to have this happen. It can happen for a variety of reasons such as a DC short or an amp clipping at low power.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2410
Make sure you were pushing on the center of the cone or at least evenly around the dustcap too.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1093
i was just going to mention what cam said. i had some woofers make a faint scratching noise if i pushed un evenly on it u have to push dead center on it.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 149
K well i just took my sub out of my box. And the string things that connected to both negative's are burnt and broken not exactly sure how to explain this so i'll take some pics. but if that is the problem how do i fix it?

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 404
bass boost on the amp or the head unit? Still don't see how you can clip at low volumes

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 150
bass was all off on the Head Unit and barely up on the amp.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7384
Ah ha, the infamous Fi Q broken tinsel leads. This is a persistent problem with the old Fi's before they starting using woven tinsels, this is why I told people not to buy them before.

Contact Scott see if he will fix it.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 151
Is Scott a member here? Or someone at FI?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3803
Scott is the owner of Fi.

scott @FiCarAudio.com

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 152
Ok, Thanks everyone for the help. Also why did the tinsel leads break? Anything i can do to stop it from doing that again?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16048
Over excursion coupled with tight leads?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7386
Over excursion would do it, but in order for that to happen you have to be feeding the subs A LOT more power than they are rated for (and the coils would probably overheat first anyways)

Or not have the SSF set right on the amp. SSF should be slightly below the tuning of the box, without it the sub will play below tuning, where there is no resistance from the box.

If your SSF is right you probably didn't do anything wrong, this is just a design flaw of those subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us