Component mounting preferences, sealed or not.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4364
I have done quite a few Component setups and have found that each and every mid installed had benefited in one way or another being placed into a sealed eclosure either in door or a kick pod. My questions is, has anyone else experienced this? The reason why I ask Is I have somone telling me that this wouldn't happen, the best way is to seal the door off, and just let it play into the door. Polo..

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20184
i have heard some comp mids in a nice sealed enclosure and i must say its awesome. the mid bass really comes alive. it amazing how tight it sounds.

that is why i am having my door panel done. it will have a nice sealed enclosure.

what you can do is build a small box out of 5/8 mdf and place it on the door or where the kick panel is gonna go and try it out.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4366
Hey Chad I noticed when I tore my door panel off it is all molded poly behind it, I was excited, so many possibilities lOl. BTW I am sealing off the hole and using the angles grill area as a mouning surface for the mid. It will actually be bolted directly to the door panel and not the door eliminating any metal harmonics, should be nice... Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4910
the midbass response is awesome but the sound may be discolored.. inside a door you have a lot more room but a lot of times in kickpods the back will have a small cutout to prevent the discoloring sound

for 3way i'd say seal up the midwoofer.. for a midrange.. i'd leave a cutout.. going from my experience with sealed/cutout pods..

like i said tho the door is a much larger volume so it may not have the same discoloring sound affect

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8888
"the best way is to seal the door off, and just let it play into the door. Polo.."

well Id agree but the amount of airspace will probably change the sound unless you make the airspace smaller than what is usually there in a door

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4367
Good point Kevin, adding polyfil will remove backwave coloration. Funny, my stock door speakers are open backed but on the inside door skin is a piece of dampening material looks like dyna...

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20186
polo, if you bolt the speakers directly on to plastic it won't sound that good. the plastic resonates too. why not make a mdf ring and bolt that to the panel. then bolt your speakers to that.

kevin, the speakers have a recomended volume so as long as you are in that general area, i can't see how the speakers are gonna be discolored kevin. the door has so much space inside, its almost like free air. can't get that tight response.

anyways like you said, if i feel that the sound is getting discolored, i can always make hole on the back of the pod to let out some air in to the door.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8890
"adding polyfil will remove backwave coloration"

that was my next suggestion

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20187
you can't get this kinda mid sound by just mounting on the door.

http://smdmedia.net/videos/civicmidbass.wmv

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20188
i tried adding polyfill and i really don't like the way that makes the speaker sound. it makes it sound so flat and i don't mean flat as in frequency wise. the mid sounds flat like there is no life to it. lol.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4368
lOl Chad maybe you liked the coloration? Next time try a square of conveluted foam (egg crate foam) instead of using poly, will stop the reflective wave, less energy loss. BTW I wasn't gonna bolt directly to the plasic, I am using 3/4" ring out of Baltic Burch ply, it is a bit more rigid than MDF, won't let the plasic distort and then I will do a little glasswork over the back. Polo...

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20191
can't wait to see what you do. will be waiting for some pics.

Bronze Member
Username: Beatin_down_yo_block

Okalhoma City, Oklahoma United States

Post Number: 26
whats the best component set, if u listen to rap and funk music

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2404
When I put my mids in the tiny boxes, they sounded MUCH (MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH) better. I think they would be better with a little more volume though. They're 6.5x6.5x4, which equals 169. Divide 169 by 1728 and you get close to .1 of a cubic foot. They're stuffed with polyfill so that should help.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4376
Well this seems to be getting more difficult as it goes. I can just take my sawzall and cut a great big hole in the door then just fit in a crappy set of comps but I think I am gonna take the difficult route lOl. Now the door panel will contain the mid and a seal, the door intself will contain a fiberglass cup for the back end of the mid to protrude into. When the door panel is put back in the seal on the panel will mate with the enclosure on the door effectively sealing the mid.1/2" Felt pad will be the actual gasket and antiresonance agent, so the panel doesn't create noise. Here is what the front will look like, biggest problem will that I won't be able to use the included grills, gonna have to come up with something custom, of course... :-O Polo..

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4377
Any grill ideas?

Polo.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20196
oh you got 3 ways polo? so the woofer is in the kickpanel? if so i wouldn't worry about sealing the speaker on the door panel. just do a good job of sealing the woofer on your kick panel.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4379
No Chad, I have two sets of two's. I have a set of 5k's for the doors and a set of 6k's for the pods. They will kind of be fortifying each other. Hey what did your kicks look like did you have grills on them? Polo..

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20202
i used the grills that came with my speakers.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4380
F
U
C
K

I am gonna have to come up with some custom sh!t now, hmmmm I see a fiberglass grill in the works. Polo..

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20205
make a ring out of thin board then use grill cloth to cover it.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 739
u still only have 8's polo???? lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4381
^^^^ Sonnn, yous a Tard lOl.

POLO

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1904
Heres a good link that might help you Polo...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26352

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4383
Thanks dude! Funny, today I worked in Wis from Grafton to Kenosha, all day long swearing about the way cheese-heads drive lOl. Out of the whole population it took only one of yous to give me the most simplest of ideas that will work! Thankyou sir, I like cheese lmfao!!! Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 1906
Yea no problem man.

LOL. We Wisconsinites arnt too fond of the way crazy Illinois drivers drive either. :P.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7332
A real enclosure is nessecary for any midbass / midrange speaker to perform well........ here is what I did with mine.

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4385
Dude I blow through Wis in my 26' cab-over doing between 85-90mph, being able to use the third lane makes you feel sooo freeee lOl. I had to stop and eat at KFC over by the Miller plant, I hate that yeast smell ewww... MS, I agree with you but there are many a f@g over on CA.COM who would disagree with up!

F
U
C
K
E
M
pOLO..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914
lol. Yea that yeast smell can get annoying. I don't go downtown too often though. Maybe to the Bradley Center once in a while. Last time I was downtown this car drove up to the sidewalk where I was walking. I thought they were gonna ask if I wanted to buy drugs or something lol. They just wanted directions though.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4391
F
U
C
K

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4393
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20356
very nice man. you got some skills with fiberglass.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4394
Been a while but was all coming back, influenced by you glassy fools lOl ! I cheated, I used infrared lamp to ensure proper curing in 50 deg weather, works awesome. The enclosure is the pocket in the door (green fleece, poor blanky) the other half in the recess in the door panel when mated they create a chamber, easily removed if you need to remove panel again. If you look at the first pic that is the way the stock are installed, inside of angled piece, I put the new ones on top, aimed right to the listener. I was sooo high from the fumes, woooohoooo. That peal and stick sh!t is great, especially when heated with a torch... Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 603
nice car :-) gas has got o be killing you though with premium.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4395
Ya, you know it but I have the superchargers waste gate lock shut and yes they do have a blow off gate for the highway to improve MPG. I did this because it eliminates the off the line lag it has wating for the pressure to build and open the actuator for the gate so I get a wopping 18mpg e-way... Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us