ThunderForms - any good?

Username: Boycie

Canada

Post Number: 1
Gents, please forgive my ignorance but I am trying to upgrade the stock system in my 2002 Yukon. There appears to be a really terrible factory fit sub in the back left trunk and I am thinking of replacing it with a ThunderForm unit (incorporates a 10" MTX 4500 Sub). The rest of the system is in the upgrade too, but does anyone have an opinion on ThunderForm. At the moment the system is utter shite but I should be able to sort the rest out. I have reservations however about putting a sub in a molded plastic box. Anyone?

Cheers, BoycieUpload

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6183
bad idea how much bass do you really want and how much $$ can you spend. and are you willing to have a box in your trunk area

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6291
Those ThunderForms serve their purpose, and that purpose is to make MTX money. Thats about it.

Yes they fit well in the vehicles they are designed to fit, but their performance leaves ALOT to be desired.

If you want a molded box, glass it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7317
Yeah, when you see the name "MTX" on it you know to move on.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4232
^^there amps are good. subs arent that bad they serve there purpose

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 2001
mtx amps are good.junk amps arent underrated like mtx is

Canada

Post Number: 4
So I get the idea that most of you are not impressed. The problem I have is that I am getting old (35!). When people see a huge sub in the back of your car when you are 22 they just think 'hhuh, kids!', when they see one in my car they cannot accept it, even though they all have a sub on their home theatre system, because they know you need it to get a decent sound. Unfortunately, I work in a business where you need people to have a certain impression of you.

So ideally, I want the unit hidden but if it is going to sound crap there is no point and I will get the box and accept it. Money is not really the factor here.

My question would be, why does the ThunderForm not perform? Is the box too small? is it because it is plastic? is the Sub shite? Could you replace the actual speaker to get a better sound? Could you fibre-glass the outside of the unit to give it extra rigidity? Or are you desting to have something that will always just sound dump?

Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2397
you would be much better off with a small sealed 10" sub in the back. i'm sure you can fit it :-) and it would not take up as much space as you think

mtx products are sh!t. the "thunderforms" are very very overpriced. you could spend what you do on just the form and get twice the performance elsewhere.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5302
MTX subs, minus the 9500, don't sound great or perform that well, imo. The fact that box is plastic makes it even worse. I would just fiberglass an enclosure into "thunderform" shape and get a nice sub to put in there. Let us know a budget and we can get you a great SQ woofer that will fit your needs in the amount of space you have.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7331
" there amps are good. "

Fail.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8934
M.S. Ive had a few different mtx amps the 275x 2150x they werent great ill admit and I wouldnt recommend them but I also had the mtx 81000d rated 1000 rms 1573 rated birthsheet and it was very good for the price I paid...my brother owned the mtx 4501 500 watts rated 625 rated birth sheet and it was good and the mtx 3000 watt version and it was good and rated 3829 birthsheet so I have to disagree with you on all mtx amps being a bad choice...and me and my brother owned all of the ones I mentioned...did you own some bad ones in the past

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7338
Yeah there newer amps are the ones that suck...... like so many other car audio companies they USED TO make good stuff.

Canada

Post Number: 5
Done. Sold. Convinced. No ThunderForm!

Cheers guys

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5323
M.S. Their new amps are underrated just like their old ones. their lower lines suck, but their top model amps put out serious power. Don't bash sh1t just because its mainstream.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us