Xmax vs Xcoil

Bronze Member
Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 49
I was looking at the Rd Alpha v.2
And it has 16mm Xmax and 53mm Xcoil
What is the difference?
Kevin explained to me that the this sub will produce as much SPL as other subs with larger xmax because it has a 25mm top plate and xmax is the distance from the top plate.

I was just wondering what the difference is between xmax and xcoil?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2400
Dunno too much about these parameters but I thought Xmax was excursion (usually one-way) while maintaining Bl or a certain percentage of Bl.
Quote from SSA:
"Xmax/Xmech--------Short for Maximum Linear Excursion. Speaker output becomes non-linear when the voice coil begins to leave the magnetic gap. Although suspensions can create non-linearity in output, the point at which the number of turns in the gap (see BL) begins to decrease is when distortion starts to increase. Eminence has historically been very conservative with this measurement and indicated only the voice coil overhang (Xmax: Voice coil height minus top plate thickness, divided by 2). Xmech is expressed by Eminence as the lowest of four potential failure condition measurements times 2: Spider crashing on top plate; Voice coil bottoming on back plate; Voice coil coming out of gap above core; Physical limitation of cone. Take the lowest of these measurements then multiply it by two. This gives a distance that describes the maximum mechanical movement of the cone."

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3726
Xmax is a term that is often misinterpreted as excursion. There are so many other factors involved that this spec is, in most cases, meaningless. Xcoil is simply the height of the voice coil.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2402
Get my PM, Brad?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3727
No, I rarely check them because they are sent to one of my alternate email addy's. I will look now.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3728
http://www.monstronix.com/hdd1764-p-408157.html

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 264
Xcoil is height of the voice coil

Xmax is coil height - top plate divided by 2.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2403
Thanks, Brad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us