Ot: computer

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 575
im looking to build a gaming computer but im not to sure on what i all need to make a good one so if anyone knows plz help thanks

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 576
anyone

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4207
im just curious i mean i know a couple people here now a lot about computers and stuff but wouldnt you try to find a comp forum to help you out. IDK just me i gues but i think its newegg.com or something like that they have some nice stuff

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 577
yah theres a computer forum on here but like noone uses it and ive seen ppl asking here before so i thought i would try

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3717
Budget?

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 581
i would say 1000 max

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3718
Ok gimme a few I will come up with a rig.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 582
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8822
that should be a pretty nice setup for that kinda money...is quad core a good idea in your book Brad?

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 583
i was thinking about that but since its newer i think a dual core would probably be faster but idk for sure

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3719
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133046

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131095

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103228

Vid Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130328

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148245

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151029

DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

OS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

This comes out to roughly $984 + minimal shipping and would be a killer gaming system. I have built three or four similar to this. If a friend has XP Pro you could knock $140 off the total.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4208
nice brad when i need a new comp i know who to go to lol of course this wont be for a couple years lol

oh and system for my comp lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 8824
I could show you a pretty good hp/compaq pc already built for gaming but their customer support has been horrible for me and because of that im not recommending them to anyone...I had to send my pc back three times now...it was bad out of the box...hours on the phone...people who can understand english that you say but dont seem to know what the words mean completely...arrg

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 585
i have an hp right now and ive had no problems with it as of yet but i had to bring it back once

Gold Member

Post Number: 8825
mine was bad onboard video...which I plan on upgrading to a video card but i want it fixed right because thats the way it should be

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3720
I wouldn't use an HP/Compaq system to run my sprinklers. In fact I don't recommend ANY major brand store bought computer. People seem to think that just because so-and-so company made it, that it will contain magical state of the art components. This isn't true. If you open these comps up you will see that not only do they use off the shelf components, but they skimp and cut corners wherever they can. To make things worse they add proprietary software and permanent BIOS settings that are annoying at best. A comp like the one above (performance-wise) would cost nearly double if you bought a pre-made system and every single part is equal or (much) better quality than the ones they use. Custom gaming systems such as Alienware and Vigor and nice but the prices are ridiculous for what you get. One time I walked in to a store and saw an Alienware system and I opened up the case door to check out what was inside. The door BROKE! I then noticed how cheap and flimsy the brackets and case were.

Bottom line.... build your own, choose components wisely, keep your fans and case vents clean, and game on.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 586
yah i know it aint the best its just my laptop i want to build my own i know it will be alot better than anything i can buy

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3721
So Justin... no comments on the system or what? Hopefully I didn't waste my time here.

And no offense to anyone who owns an HP/Compaq. I tend to explain things in a "the way it is IMO" fashion. It's the only way I know, and I don't believe in sugar-coating things.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1883
Thats nice of you to take the time and do that Brad.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1601
Good setup there Brad.
I would upgrade the RAM to 4gb+ since he does want this to be a gaming computer. He would max out the ram before he even touched that 3.2ghz DC

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15805
Newegg FTW.

That site is awesome.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 587
yah thanks for all the help awesome system

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 7857
Umm...you have a Crossfire ready MOBO and an SLI card...lol. If you plan on playing the PC games of the future I recommend you get a SLI mobo or a Tri SLI mobo and if you're on a smaller budget just run a single card for the time being that's SLI or Tri SLI ready. Also, look on any computer forum and everyone will tell you that AMD dropped the ball a long time ago. If you can, wait until September because Intel is going to be dropping new chips and the current ones are going to drop in price like you wouldn't believe. Oh and ATI got blown out of the water by Nvidia and hasn't had anything to answer back with for a long time now. I'd go on www.ocforums.com and ask them there about building the best gaming rig for your budget. Tons of knowledgeable guys over there. Oh and that hard drive is pretty slow,if you want something fast look into the raptors and plan into the future and eventually run two of them in a raid array.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 588
memory-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=30894 74&CatId=2261

mb&cpu-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=36458 51&Sku=MBM-M2N-6400

vid card-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=36184 54&Sku=P450-9600

case-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=13849 89&Sku=A107-3016

hdd-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=22685 95&Sku=TSD-320AS

power-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=22354 24&Sku=O261-2005

and i would get the os and cd drive u mentioed what do you think about that

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7858
That's better haha but know this, in the future games are going to take advantage of quad core CPUs. Starcraft 2 being the most anticipated of them.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7859
In all honesty I would only get less than quad core if I planned on upgrading again next year.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 589
but would i beable to do that and stay in my budget

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3723
^^^ No Justin. And I didn't realize that board was Crossfire in throwing this together real quick. Even though an SLI vid card will work fine on there you won't be able to run dual cards in the future. Swap that mobo out with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013

And Rob... how long have you been building computers? Four, maybe five years? Yeah, that's what I thought. I have been consulting and building custom comps since you were racing your Big Wheel down the sidewalk. And as far as AMD dropping the ball lol... that's a good one. If it weren't for AMD pushing the envelope and dropping prices then Intel would be a monopoly right now and charging whatever they want. The above rig will run Crysis at high settings so that leaves at least a couple years before something comes along that will be beyond its capabilities. And even then it will run the best games perfectly fine. And here you are throwing quad cores and triple SLI's at a kid who has a grand to spend. Sometimes I wonder why I even come back here

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15816
"Sometimes I wonder why I even come back here"

Cause you love us.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8826
Brad I dont think Rob was attacking your expertise. He might not have even known your background and was just trying to help out.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3725
Rob and I are buds... he knows me pretty well. I spent a little while putting this together and didn't like the way he responded is all. No biggie.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7860
Brad, been doing it since age 11. :-) Oh and as far as I know Intel sales have damn near completely crushed AMD and there's talk about AMD completely falling out of the game. Also, many computers will "run" Crysis at high settings but how many FPS are we talking about. Also, a quad core PC can be built on an SLI mobo for his budget. He'll have to get one card at time though which is fine because SLI is a feature you have to manually turn on anyhow and these PCs will run with a single card as you know.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 590
well not to be a dick but if you can throw something together so i can see what ur talking about denim that would be cool

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2385
"...so i can see what ur talking about denim that would be cool"

lmfao. (you wouldn't understand justin, but just know its nothing you did)

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 592
well i know a little about computers and i have built a few but not for this purpose so the more i learn the better

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7861
Www.OCFORUMS.com

Go there so that you can learn why I've told you what I have. Also...there's a lot you can probably get away with not buying to save your money at build time. Do you have any hard drives laying around? What about DVD drives? You can probably pull these from somewhere for free and save yourself money at the start of the build and later on upgrade. The reason I don't want to give you exact info on what to get is because it's a good idea to learn what you're getting and why. By the way the Q6600 is your best bet. Like I said though...I'd wait until September to build a rig because everything will be much cheaper and I can't think of any games really worth playing that would need a good rig right now. I'm waiting for Fallout 3 and SC2 personally or maybe the new GTA if that ever comes out for PC...

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 593
yah i was looking over there and alot of them seem to like the amd quad core yah i might have some cd drives laying around but not much else ok i will probably wait then if there suppose to be that much cheaper thanks for all the help guys

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 390
well kids, you struck my chord, computers...
We should probably start here, Justin: Do you know how to build a computer? I hope the answer to that is "yes" or what these guys are doing for you is a waste of time.

I didn't look at any of the new egg links but here's what I just did not too long ago. GeForce 8800GT 512meg, AMD (FTW) 5000+ Black Edition 2.6 Ghz (overclock'd to 3.01), 4 gigs ram, Gigabyte motherboard of some kind. I can get specific model numbers if you want, but I get average 100 fps in CounterStrike:Source, I've seen peaks at 160s, Call of Duty 4 looks F***ing amazin g with no lag of any kind, I dont know how to bring up the fps in that game or I'd tell you ... I run dual monitorz all day.

SLI - Hooking up multiple video cards to one monitor (or more) where the vid cards split processing between them resulting in higher performance. The Above mentioned video card is SLI compatable, but the motherboard I have is not, because I didn't ever see the need for spending $100 extra on the mobo and $250 on another card just to gain a few fps when what I have now gets the job done beautifully. So going with an SLI card and a non-SLI mobo is not such a bad thing if you don't plan on using SLI.

Are you looking for a laptop? Desktop? Wanna build it yourself? I may take the time later to check out the recomendations listed above and maybe put together one of my own, IF you want to build it yourself.

AMD roxorz, f*** the intel price tag

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 622
what is the best site for components anyway???

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
Newegg.com is by far the best in my opinion. If you want case mods Xoxide.com is good although I've never bought anything there and they kinda skimp on the pics of thier products, but I plan to buy a few things from them when they are in stock, they have a better selection of optional lights and misc items than newegg does.

Some other ones to compare newegg with: tigetdirect.com, cdw.com. Even if one site has something for $5 - $10 cheaper than newegg I'd still go with newegg, their customer service is the best out there from what others tell me, Personally I've never had a problem with anything I've gotten from newegg so I've never had to deal with their customer service, and I've built around 8 - 10 pc's with parts ALL from newegg.

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 594
i will be building it my self i know how to do that but i have no idea how to do the over clocking
that would be great if you could help me with this also it will be a desktop

from what i have seen tigerdirect.com has the best prices

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 595
?

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
I don't encourage overclocking for beginners/novice, it forces your hardware to run hotter than normal and can reduce the life of your equipment. Depending on the components you're using you may risk damaging your system for a less than 10% increase in system performance.

That being said the way I did it was I changed the multiplier in the bios of my mobo. If you choose to go this way you MUST upgrade the cooling system, stock fan and heatsink will not cut it.

If www.ocforums.com stands for overclocking forums, go there before you do any over clocking and before you buy your parts so you know what you're getting yourself into. I've never been to that site though...

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 596
?

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 597
ok probasbly wont deal with that just yet would you be willing to help me choose some parts i will be waiting to buy my cpu until later for the fact that it is suppose to go down but i want to start getting the other things needed to make this run right thanks for the help chris

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
I'll see what I can do, budget = $1000?

I will look at what everyone else posted first, seems to be some very knowledgeable people here.

Will take me a few days

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 598
yah a 1000 for now just want something that will be good playing most games

Silver Member

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 599
i will also try looking myself so i will post what i find on here to see if im going in the right direction

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7873
"And Rob... how long have you been building computers? Four, maybe five years? Yeah, that's what I thought. I have been consulting and building custom comps since you were racing your Big Wheel down the sidewalk. And as far as AMD dropping the ball lol... that's a good one. If it weren't for AMD pushing the envelope and dropping prices then Intel would be a monopoly right now and charging whatever they want."-Brad Warren

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555298

Just like I said. People all over are saying that AMD is expected to last only 5 more years.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7876
Oh and Brad, do you remember Intel Overdrives with MMX technology were the cat's a ss? Haha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us