JL Audio 13W7 vs. 12 inch SoloX

Username: Jeffj07ss

Alabama USA

Post Number: 1
I'm just asking for everyone's opinions on this issue because I've never dealt with SoloX nor have I ever heard one in person, only regular L7's. I've only specialized on JL Audio subs and Rockford Fosgate amps. I currently have a 13W7, and had it powered with a BD1000 until I sold it to a considerably nice profit on it. And a buddy of mine wants to trade my W7 for his 12inch SoloX, I don't wanna know why it's stupid of him to do this or if it's smart for him to do this, I just want to know people's opinions of the comparisons of the two subs. I currently am wanting to buy a new BD1000 for my W7 until he offered me this proposition and just thought about doing the research on it, if I traded I'd have to buy a new box and probably either a BD2000 or 3000 for it, where as I just have to get a new 1000 for my sub, everything else is already ready and installed. This would be in a 2000 Silverado 4door Ext. Cab. If I don't trade I've thought about dropping a 2nd 13W7 in there with a BD2000 since they actually push around 2600 watts maximum. But, for right now I just wanna know people's opinions on just 1 13W7 vs. 1 12 inch SoloX, which is more likely to go out, blow or distort before the other one will and what not, if the SoloX has more deep bass than the W7(which I'm pretty sure it does, like I said, just want people's opinions on it, didn't know if the SoloX has any sharp bass as well, again like I said, I've never heard one in person. Thanks in advance. Again, it will be going in a 2000 Chevy 4dr Ext. Cab, had the W7 facing upwards in the seat as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7267
Solo X = louder but sounds like crap

13W7 = decent SPL and sounds good

Alabama USA

Post Number: 2
Preciate it M.S. Anymore opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1268
I've never been impressed at all by the W7- in spl or in sq, but it is supposed to do better on the lower frequencies. There's a chance I've just never heard it setup right, but I don't know..

The solo-x has been used in both spl and sq setups, but it's really for spl. If you buy a bd2000 a 2nd w7 should be louder and sound better, but as for woofer vs woofer I'd rather have the solo-x. I like spl more too though, and you can get the spair and recone the solo easier.

just my opinion- they're two totally totally different woofers and really aren't in the same class.
Like comparing a race car and a luxury vehicle- they both have their place.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1635
the JL 12w7 in HO Box i had sounded amazing and had good SPL

its all about the install/box

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3497
"1 13W7 vs. 1 12 inch SoloX, which is more likely to go out, blow or distort before the other one will and what not."

That depends on you.^^^^^

Well that depends if you want SPL if so go Solo X if you want more SQL then W7.

If you want that Solo X to beat like it should you will need 2500+RMS or its a waste of time.(IMO)

Do you have the charging system for 2500+RMS.^^^^^

Install/enclosure will make or brake your system.

Hope this helps good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5230
completely different subs. it just depends on what you want out of your install. i would personally do the 2 13w7s and bd20001. that would sound really nice and loud in a ext cab truck.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 719
2 13w7 > solo x.

which ever way you go, i hope you have the charging for it.

and when you get it done POST VIDZ!!

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1927
I dont think i would trade the W7 unless you are looking for spl. Solo X will need more power.

Alabama USA

Post Number: 3
Haven't heard of a charging kit for it. What I got now is the 13 in a JL audio spec made slot ported box ran on a yellow optima batery, minus the amp right now

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1988
hoook a amp up to it and see if you like it

Alabama USA

Post Number: 4
Appreciate everyone's opinions on the issue, and I've made up my mind, I'm not going with the trade. I'm wait to get an amp and get a BD2000 after a 2nd 13W7 with a new box, gonna probably end up taking out my whole back seat to get extra room for it as well, and I'm gonna have to get 275amp or 300amp alternator, do believe I'm good with the yellow optima battery though. Anybody know how loud it'll have to be to blow my windows out? I really doubt I'll have to get plexiglass windows, it was fine when I had 1400 watts pushing through one W7, although 2500 is a pretty good difference from 14, anbody think otherwise? When I get it all and have it set up I'll post some pics and maybe a video, will take a little while though, only have about a 3rd of the money I'm gonna need for all of it, considering it's gonna be close to 2000-2200 bucks for it all depending on where I get it and what price I can get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us