New from Alpine- Power Packs

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 217
I just picked up the 2008 spring Alpine catalog and found there new head unit power pack that adds 45wrms x 4 to your receiver(Alpine is genius). In stead of buying a amp for my components I'm considering buying this, only $120, and intergrading it to an alpine receiver.
Has anyone seen or used one?

its not even on the Alpine web site yet but its model ktp-445

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 218
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/company/pr/pr.php?prid=168&year=2008

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 219
guess im the only fan of this new technology

Platinum Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1473
Lol no it sounds pretty cool.... but i know of alot of head units that do 50watts rms x 4.. does it add 45watts rms to each or something

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 220
idk a single head unit that can do 50wrms x 4??? however I'm sure some one out there can find one. most can only do around 17 wrms x4. and yes, it would add another 45wrms x 4 to the head unit. no need to buy a component amp if all you need is 250wrms or less and for me thats perfect.

Platinum Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1591
"but i know of alot of head units that do 50watts rms x 4"

Name one.

"no need to buy a component amp if all you need is 250wrms or less and for me thats perfect."

"The KTP-445 Head Unit Power Pack will be available in March 2008 at authorized Alpine dealers for a $120 SRI."

$120 for 45 x 4? I don't think so.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 221
you think its not going 2 work? damn

Platinum Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1592
I think the idea is cool, its just a little on the expensive side for that amount of power.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 222
dose not seem that bad. I would prefer to have my amp/"power pack" hidden and as low profile as I can behind my receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Rtyauch301

Post Number: 240
as long as you dont have 2 run amp wire it would be worth it though

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 223
And you don't. I think its the best car audio intervention I've seen in a long time.

"Its narrow size and slim width allows it to fit behind the head unit in the dash cavity of most vehicles. The KTP-445 connects in-line with the head unit's power harness, without the need for additional wiring or special tuning."

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
i want one to bad yell probly have 2 have alpine 2 use it i have pioneer

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 224
I know, I really want and need one. My focal's are going to fry if i don't do something soon. I love Alpine's receivers so I'm considering buying one anyways.

Platinum Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5186
i got my zx450.2 for 150 208 x 2 @ 4 ohms. 45 x 4 isnt worth it imo. get better comps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
i got diamond mids they could use it but i just bought this pioneer dvd unit i was just thinking of getting a walmart amp for them lol

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 225
"get better comps"?
they sound great but i just know that they have more potential. It can be dangerous running 4 comps off my 17wrms x 4 deck when they should be handling 50-60wrms each.

Platinum Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2357
Your issue is going to be that most, if not all, of the good components want more power than that. That, on top of the price, make it not worth it in my book.

It's a cool idea tho :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7243
" but i know of alot of head units that do 50watts rms x 4 "

No ya don't

Platinum Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2444
"" but i know of alot of head units that do 50watts rms x 4 "

No ya don't"

Yeah, you know HUs that claim to put that out but none that do...

Good idea... Actually I think its a great idea but for the power, as it has been stated, it's not worth the money.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 226
Ya i c what you are saying. However, it seems good to me because thats all the power i need for my components. My other option would be to buy a separate amp, and spend ~100(if you can point me to an amp thats cheaper that would be great) for the same thing but more work and wiring needed. $120 for a no hassle and out of site amp/"power pack" seems like a decent deal to me.

"Yeah, you know HUs that claim to put that out but none that do"

I don't know any HUs that even claim to put 50wrms x 4. They usually advertise by their max output 50w x 4.

Platinum Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1249
I would buy it if I was pressed for space. Once it goes on ebay should be cheaper still.

"most, if not all, of the good components want more power than that"

And most people that would consider buying this don't have extremely high end comps. Not putting down you or the O/P in any way. For the average consumer wanting to add a bit more power to your average set of comps (which normally have an rms between 60-80), and wouldn't really take advantage of more power. It's better than powering off your h/u regardless.

It seems like a simple plug and play solution for most consumers- I can see Best Buy selling a ton of them- or any stereo shop carrying alpine for that matter. Almost like a tag-on sale like an i-pod cable. Also would save the average person a lot in amp install fees- and help sell more stuff to someone who wouldn't consider an amp.

Platinum Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1476
My fault read it wrong...

Anyways.. if you want something low profile why dont you get the ED amp.. that is the size of a CD

Platinum Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2096
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/company/pr/pr.php?prid=168&year=2008

there ya go just hyperlink it when it doesnt want to do it automaticaly

Okay that looks cool what hus is it compatible with how old

50x4 RMS wow thats 200 watts thats alot of power in a small space

even EDs new 165x1 amp is 2" thick and the size of CD

http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=250#more-250

they need it to be 2 channels it will get alot of attention especially for 100-110 shipped that they would offer it for

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20037
go with an amp.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 227
That ED amp dose not look very impressive and looks extremely bulky, you cant hide that behind your HU if your trying to compare with this new Alpine power pack. And ya, only mono block is not very useful.

I predict soon enough, Alpine will have "power packs" pushing 400wrms.

Platinum Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1594
"$120 for a no hassle and out of site amp/"power pack" seems like a decent deal to me."

How much of a hassle is it to really run a power, ground, and some RCAs? My component amp is out of site in the trunk...

Also, allot of economy sized GM cars have no room at all behind the head unit or anywhere else up front for that matter. I know my Alero doesn't lol.

"I can see Best Buy selling a ton of them- or any stereo shop carrying alpine for that matter."

I doubt that, most people that go to best buy and such have no clue what RMS even is. They will just end up saying "Well the "radio" is already 50 watts, so I don't need that" and they will walk off.

I've had soo many debates to people around this area that the "Sony Xplod 1200watt amp" is actually no where near 1200wats. And no one believes me.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 228
In my car, a land cruiser, I have no where to hide the amp but in the open. So far its still the most affordable way to give my components(that may not be the best) the power they need.

Platinum Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1480
Underseat.. And why hide amp.. If you got it Flaunt it lol... My amps gonna be out in the open... No point in hiding you know... Unless it is a Sony Amp lol

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 703
"If you got it Flaunt it lol"

and then get it stolen...

Platinum Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1595
"and then get it stolen..."
It really depends on your location and how well you watch your car.
I have a 2 way pager alarm, no one is going to open my door or even touch my car without me knowing.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 707
PAGER ALARMS FTW!!!

this guy in my class was talkin about how his system hits so hard that it makes you chest hurt! i was intruiged to see what he was running so i asked. he said "i got dual 12's in a badass box man."

instantly i thought of the Dual 12" Bandpass box from BB. and YEP thats what he had...wow i didnt know that those duals were soo good. and on the SMALLEST mtx amp ive ever seen! LMAO

Platinum Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2097
LOl that amp looks bulky HA HA okay the size of a CD and about the hieght of a
2-3 fuses stacked

but anyway that power pack is a cool idea.... but its not cutting edge technically its still and amp

but let me ask you this.... how big is the power pack? and where does it go

Platinum Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2363
Breaking news!: alpine releases new gadgit. they call it a "power pack", a cleverly re-branded device also known as an "amplifier".

Platinum Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6268

quote:

Breaking news!: alpine releases new gadgit. they call it a "power pack", a cleverly re-branded device also known as an "amplifier".

LOL.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 229
lol, yes its only a non traditional amp. I'm going to take a guess judging from the picture in the catalog and the descriptions from their article that its a little bigger than an average faceplate of a receiver. maybe an inch thick and 2 1/2 inches wide. I'm e-malling alpine for more specs.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 230
And yes, if if I could I would have my whole system "out of site". Regardless of your alarm system or where you live, all it takes is a broken window and a few minutes and there goes your amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1257
^ Top 3 reasons not to flaunt it:
1 Theft
2 People touching it
3 Theft

I'd hide everything if I had room

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1258
I have 2 way pager and it's really helpful. Adds an extra feeling of security.

Depending on the size of your system even in the minute or two it would take you to run out to your car they will have stolen stuff (grab and run) or stabbed your subs and beaten your equipment because they couldn't get it out.

I have as much equipment hidden as possible, but there's only so much you can do :-(

Platinum Member
Username: Joebruce

Mach5Audio M...

Post Number: 1895
It would be nice if you wanted to go active. You could avoid having to get another amp and save space. BTW my Alpine HU already has a built in amp that will do 30x4 wrms :-)

Platinum Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1597
"Regardless of your alarm system or where you live, all it takes is a broken window and a few minutes and there goes your amp"

False.
Where you live plays a big part. I know for a fact if someone breaks my window, my alarm will go off. Do you have any clue how much attention 4 screaming sirens will attract to anyone around? I bet the theft wouldn't even want to stay around for a few seconds unless they have hearing protection.
Also, just breaking a window is not going to give them access to anything. All of my equipment is in the trunk of the car. The trunk pop button does not work unless the car is started. (a homemade anti-theft device lol)
Also, It takes allot more time than a few minutes to grab an amp if you have it mounted right. The use of security screws, bolts, and other little things that only the designer would know how to do will slow down the speed. It takes me near 15-20 minutes just to get my own amps out.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9174
"I'd hide everything if I had room"

How hard can it be to hide 4 18"s and 4 Memphis 4k's Troy???

Lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us