What's the difference between alpine type-e and type-s?

audio rookie
i did some research on both type-e and type-s subs and their specs are exactly the same. the 12" handle 200 watts rms and they have the same x-max and frequency response. so what's the difference aside from price? i need help deciding which ones to get. thanks.

INCUBUS
There is some differences in the specs.But if you put these subs side by side the difference is clear. Also the type s looks alot better. The Type S also comes in dual voice coil models. Also on most sites there is only like a $5 diff.

audio rookie
does the type-s have more bass? is it clarity? what's the difference in sound with the type-e? people told me one has more spl and the other has better sq. i'm looking for more spl so sq doesn't matter much to me. i just want to be loud. should i still go with the type-s? thanks a lot.

INCUBUS
I think both sq and spl. I like to have spl but it has to sound good too. Thats why i choose the type R's. But if you use the Dual Voice coil 12's you wont be dissipointed. By the way what amp are you planning to run and how many subs.

audio rookie
i'm planning to run one alpine mrp-m350 mono amp and two 12" subs. the amp only puts out 350 watts @ 2 ohms so that's why i don't get the type r's.

teflondog
the alpine type-e subs in my opinion are directed more towards personal enjoyment rather than big bass. the bass tends to stay in the car while the type-s subs on the other hand offer a bass that travels out more. since you want to be loud, go with the type-s subs. they won't be as loud as type r's but with that amp, you're better off with the type s's.

INCUBUS
That should be a nice little set up. So I'm guessing you are going to get the single 4ohm voice coil model of the Type S's if you get them. Otherwise you would need an amp that does 1ohm mono........well let us know how it works out.......have fun

I have 2 TYPE E 12".
I just got them today with the AudioBahn A8000T.
I am new at all this audio stuff and I dunno if the circuit city people installed it wrong.
It sounds so weak and I cant tell the difference.
Someone please tell me if I got a wrong AMP for it.
Thx

Anonymous
That amp should pound the Sh*t out of those subs. Here is some things to check. Check to make shure your polarities are correct. Or simiply turning up your gain. What gauge of power wire did they use? Should be 4 no smaller than 8 guage. The list is so long. Do you have a good deck. Do you know if they are Dual 4ohm subs. Ill leave it at that. That should be a real good setup.

Anonymous
listin to me ppl i have a sound system on my gto vr6 1995 ppl hear me from 8 or 9 blocks away i spent almost 5000$ canadian$ and now i have a system on my car that ppl hear me befor they see me just do as i say and get tha bass that shacks ur fukin budy even granys shack theyr buts when i come in tha block and thats something to be proud of this is tha system i have

pioneer stereo
8 infinity speakers
2 alpine type S
and get a box with a hole get a coil box
2 mtx amps theyr 200W rms each bridged to my woofers
1 4 chanel amp clarion hooked up to my speakers

sounds like a normal system but let me tell u something i sweer if u get this u have tha top 10 sound sytem in town trust me
some ppl think i havnt heard like high bass's but tell u wut i live with sound system i heard systems that hit 340db but i still like mine better
im gono add 2 more type E 12" to my car then im not in top 10 no more ill be tha 1

peace ///Alpine

r.i.p.
hey anonymous, i don't know where you live but in my city you'd barely make it in the top 100 with your setup. all you have are 2 type s subs and 200 watts going to each one. over here, you wouldn't be able to hear your system because it would be drowned out by a real system like mine. if you don't have at least 1000 watts rms in your trunk, then you have no idea what true bass is. i got 4 jlw6 subs with 500 watts rms going to each one and i can hit 160 db no sweat.

teflondog
lol. let's not get off topic here. i just compared the type e's with the type s's in my store yesterday side by side. i tested them both in sealed boxes.
the type e's didn't really give a big booming bass. it was more of a tight bass and was a little more midrangey. the type s's hit a little lower and was a little boomier so it could turn a few more heads on the street. other than that the differences were subtle and to people who know nothing about car audio, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

teflondog
hey newbie, the reason your subs don't hit like they should is because the circuit city guys turned the gain low to give the subs time to break in before cranking it up. give it about a week of normal listening and then slowly turn the gain up in small increments for every couple hours of playing music. once they're broken in and you're able to crank it, you'll hear the difference.

r.i.p.
sorry teflondog. i didn't mean to get off topic, but anonymous is a freakin' moron. did you see what he wrote? "i heard systems that hit 340 db but i still like mine better." i'm sorry anonymous but you're just really stupid because there is no such thing as a sound system hitting that high. if nobody in the world has ever hit 180 db, what makes you think it's possible to hit 340 db? that just shows that you're a poser and you have no idea about sound systems.

Anonymous
i have two 10' alpine type-s subs and i need a box to put em in...i have a 200 f-150 extended cab if anyone knows where to find one let me know and if the box has enough air space for em....

Anonymous
i have two 12 inch type e's with two Dual 500 watt amps.... i chose the E's because like its been said, they are more mid-range then deep bass. ive been very very happy with them. before i had two 12 inch rockford fosgate he2s ... the alpines are MUCH better... they hit more accuratly

ive got 4 ten inch type e's in the back of my grand cherokee, i love them, they are a very tight sounding sub, the box i built is from 3/4 inch MDF and 1.3 cubes sealed each, i havent had it metered cause no one around here does it! bullshit i know. they hit pretty friggin hard compared to my old system, (2 rockford HE2? i think thats was it, 12's) im powering 2 subs with a CL600 by profile, and the other 2 the same way, there getting about 300 give or take 50 watts rms. its a littlebit overkill for these subs, i think the E's would be better in a smaller car. i should have went with the S series i think. well i hope this helps someone out. o yeh that kid who said he heard 340DB is a friggin retart. lol peace all, o yeh overall these subs were worth the price. if you shop around of course.

hey im thinkin about buying the type-r's because i've heard so much good stuff about them.... i want to get the most hard hitting head turning bass that i can get for a little money ... i have a 600 watt alpine mrv-t707 2 channel amp that im gonna hook up to whatever i decide to get .. is it gonna sound that much better if i get the type-r 12's vs. the type-s 12's? ... is it gonna be worth the extra $75 a piece?.... also if i end up getting 2 subs that are 4 ohms each them how do i need to hook them up to that amp? .. please explain thuroughly ... sorry .. im new :P .. thanks

craig_fer
i dont know much about the R vs. S debate, i do know that you would just put the positives from both subs to the bridged positive, and the 2 negatives to the bridged negateive and that will give the amp a 2 ohm load, someone correct me if im wrong. peace

Basspro
Anonymous with the 340 db ur a fukin Idiot.340 db would be like a SPace Shuttle goin off in ur car ha ha ha ha ha I DONT THINK SOOOOO

motoman22
"What's the difference between alpine type-e and type-s?"

About like comparing a slap on the cheek and a punch on the nose....and about twice the price.

Type S 12" : $86.95
Type R 12" : $134.95

prices quoted from www.audio-warehouse.com

The Type S is no slouch, it will hang with anything in it's price range...but it just doesn't compare to the Type R in any way. Different animals man~!

96 3.8 v6 camaro
i just bought 2 12 in type s's and i dont know anything about breaking them in. i also have a cheep sony cd player but i make up for it with my older RF punch 800 i am running the s's one per channel i have 2 channels, but i turned the punch bass up half way with the cd bass at half the freq. all the way down they sound like they are distorting i can hear viberateing in the speaker i have only had them on for probly a half an hour i only turned the bass up loud like twice to show my freinds what they got i didnt mess them up did i??? thanks some
advice would help alot????

motoman22
camaro, if I understand your problem correctly it sounds like you have one of the subs hooked up backwards.

p.s. with that much power, turn all your bass settings down down down. Then slowly and gently start tuning each component until you get the results you want.

peace

I have 2 12" Type e's,, i have wired them to 2 ohm, the amp i have can only run in brigded mode at 4 ohm. Is there any way to raise the ohm output on the subs to 4 ohm's, keeping the same wring? thanks

Semiauto
I have 2 12" Type e's in the trunk of my 1993 Cadillac Eldorado with a Kenwood Excelon kacx301 running bridged @ 2ohm pumping about 450-500w to the pair and they are very clean and very punchy, and they hit pretty low also.

Username: Agnostic1

Post Number: 1
first of all go type s with the mrp-350 that was my first system its great.

just have to say to anonymous i have 4 1000 watt rms zappon amps running 9 12" JL's in a costom box in the back of my escalade. They run of two separate batteries powered by a monster alternator and go through 3 dual capacitors running at 2 farad'd joined each. i have 12 mbquart speaks 4 tweaters, and and alpine hda-5460 headunit two dvd changers 2 cd-changers and a nice management system.

I CAN STALL A HONDA When my bass hits ive blown my windows twice. you have no bass

ps my buddy's system is better than mine. If you want picks of either email me Ca1surf00@hotmail.com

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 16
Brian learn how to lie good when u lie
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us