What to do with all this room

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 310
i know i have posted something like this before. but i still keep thinking that there must be more i can do with all the room i have in my car. don't worry about something not fitting because i am sure it will. i have a vw golf but other than the front seats there is nothing in the car. LOTS OF ROOM!

idea powered by 2k merlin md3d amp prolly
i was thinking the 18 inch bls over everything else

6 12inch hifonics dvc

2 18inch fi bls

one 18 RE xxx

ANY IDEAS?!?!??!?!

Platinum Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1366
AQ just came out with the HDC318's but currently only copper coils is in stock. but you could get aluminum coils next month.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 872
if you have the money, i would go with 2 15" audiopulse revo's

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7746
A single 2K Merlin isn't enough for 2 BLs if you ask me.

Platinum Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5165
^ x2. You should worry about getting more power if you're wanting to get that loud.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8766
use the one 18 fi bl you have and drive that for all its worth if you have the right voice coils to do that...2000 watts would be good on the sub for a burp if the sub wont give you issues with the tinsel...that way you can upgrade your charging easier and have the right power too...if you put the time into it the single 18 will be all you need plus youll have more room

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
well! what would i need to power a pair of bls? ya those HDs look nice i will keep that in mind.
i am really not a fan of audiopulse. what i have seen didn't sounds good

Platinum Member

Post Number: 8767
"well! what would i need to power a pair of bls?"

we talked about this before but ill say it here as well...get a high out put alternator first if thats all you can afford and THEN a upgraded battery...if your going for spl competitions id get a amp that produced 3000 to 4000 watts but thats going to be at least 260 to 300 amps of current to run 3000 watts and around 90 to 100 more amps of current to run 4000 watts

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
got ya got ya. i remember u saying that.
i just didn't know that my BL could take that much. i am just running 1k to it right now.

i have to ask what kind of numbers do people hit at some of these comps?
i am about 98% sure i wont win anything even if i 4k amp and wall my car/

is there comps that people go to and like 140 to 150 is good? i am really really new to the compition on this stuff

Platinum Member

Post Number: 8768
well it all depends what kind of competitions are around your area...one 18 would put you in the same class as two 12's for example in iasca or db drag but in meca its fuse size and cone area within a certain point range...it would be like this for example in meca...one 18 254 square inches of cone plus the fuse size times 10 within a given point range...heres a show structure

2008 Pressure Class Rating System
Pressure Class Formula
{(Total Amperage of In-line Fusing X 10) + Woofer Cone Surface Area} = Pressure Class #
Please consult Division Rules for complete definitions.
Examples:
40 amps + 2-12 = 626 50 amps + 1-12 = 613 50 amps + 1-15 = 677 50 amps + 1-18 = 754
50 amps + 1-12^2 = 644 50 amps + 2-12 = 726 100 amps + 1-15 = 1177 100 amps + 2-18 = 1509
50 amps + 2-10^2 = 700 100 amps + 2-12 = 1226 200 amps + 2-15 = 2353 200 amps + 2-18 = 2509
50 amps + 3-10 = 736 200 amps + 2-12 = 2226 400 amps + 4-15 = 4707 400 amps + 4-18 = 5018
SPL (Sound Pressure League ) Format
AS - Amateur Street - Basic, daily use systems. Beginners & those who have not been champions. Owns equipment. No Pro's.
AS1 0 - 750
AS2 751 - 1200
AS3 1201 - 2000
S - Street - Intended for daily driven vehicles. Competitors show who can do the most with the least.
S1 0 - 750
S2 751 - 1200
S3 1201 - 2000
S4 2001 - 4000
S5 4001+
M - Modified - Vehicles with non-permanent modifications behind the B-pillars, including woofer walls.
M1 0 -750
M2 751 - 1200
M3 1201 - 2000
M4 2001 - 4000
M5 4001+
MX - Modex - Intended for competitors with vehicles that have limited modifications in front of the B-pillars and structural, chassis,
or body modifications behind the B-pillars and are designed strictly with SPL competition in mind. Allows for unlimited batteries and
charging system modifications, woofer walls, pick-up truck cut-throughs.
MX1 0 - 2000
MX2 2001- 4000
MX3 4001+
X - "Radical X" - Vehicles with major modifications; for the hard-core Sound Presssure League competitor.
X1 0 - 4000
X2 4001+
DB - "Drive-by SPL Parade" Format - Measures sound pressure level outside the vehicle.
DB1 0 - 750
DB2 751 - 1200
DB3 1201 - 2000
DB4 2001 - 4000
DB5 4001+

and as far as your bl taking that much power it depends on the subwoofer but most subs can take 1.5 to 2 x their rms rating for a 3 second burp and some can take even more than that...but its a trial and error kind of thing and you have to give it clean power and make sure you arent pushing the subs machanical limits too far and also you have to make sure you dont cook the coils of your sub...this sub is popular enough that you can ask around and get a good idea what power it can take for burps

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
thanks dude! ill have to see whats around my area

Platinum Member

Post Number: 8769
your welcome

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7776
You should start with Bass Racing or Bass Boxing or Street Beat since you're new to everything to get an idea of what's up.

Platinum Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1736
Want to be the first with some RD Sonance 18's :-) I am sure we could work something out on price being you will be the first.

Kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 656
The BL's are the best choice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7826
How can you say the BLs are the best choice when you don't even know what Hifonics he's talking about? 6 Olympus 2412s would sh1t all over the other subs listed here in an SPL install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
So buying lower quality subs and throwing a bunch of them in there is automaticly louder?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 8775
"thanks dude! ill have to see whats around my area"

that will give you a better idea what your setup should be

"You should start with Bass Racing or Bass Boxing or Street Beat since you're new to everything to get an idea of what's up."

and if I understand all those classes Rob mentioned correctly those would be for daily set ups and the other arenas I mentioned would give you experience in spl

Platinum Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1974
i didnt read all this but 2 15 inch bl's would be louder than 1 18 inch bl

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
yes 2 15s would be louder but not as loud as 2 18s.

anyways! i think i am going to get 2 18s and tune it to 37Hz. and yes i am going to wall it just because it would be awsome and fun and i could show off

Platinum Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1738
Yea Denim it will if you know what you are doing. Want to try me and 6 12 inch Pyramids :-)

Kevin

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
how the heck did some one get 146 with 600 watts and one 12! that is crazy!
can some of u comp people give me some tips on what i am doin to make this thing crazy loud.
i am pretty set on getting 2 18 BLs

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
so kevin.. r u saying i should go and get some pyramid subs? i could get like 4 of them for what i am using to power... so it prolly would not be a good idea.
but no one really said anything about getting 6 of those hifonic subs

Platinum Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3533
how much were you looking to spend on the amp and subs combo? need a diiferent/better amp imo. as far as subs i think that maybe 2 re sx s would fit the bill nice. hehe or you can get the incriminator audio death penalty 21in hehe. on the xxx 18 were you looking at old school (05ish)xbl^2 subs or the new split coil design?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 8778
"how the heck did some one get 146 with 600 watts and one 12! that is crazy!"

that was one 15 pyramid super blue that hit 146 db on 600 rms for anyone wondering what he is refering to but we hit 145.6 db on our termlab with one audioque 2.5 12 when we modified the box and that was on 750 to 800 watts rms...but that rms rating was before the headunit settings were changed to optimize the output...both of those examples were in burp boxes

Platinum Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1739
No, not at all. Pyramid is crap and will not last. Denim said, "So buying lower quality subs and throwing a bunch of them in there is automaticly louder?" I can easly make a bunch of crappy subs loud :-) I suggest you do alot of research on the subs you are looking at. Are you loking for a daily driver that hits the LOWS? Are you wanting more SPL than SQ? All of these are factors on what you want.

Kevin

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
i wnat a daily driver that is an SPL machine!

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
So now if the OP knew what he was really doing, would this topic exist?

Oh thats right.

Platinum Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3538
I see denim isn't in a good mood. if you want a daily sub that's great with the spl you have choices. fi btl,damn good choice. re mt also another solid beast. rd hw v.2 nasty nasty nasty loud,a ia death penalty is another great choice.

Platinum Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5226
is denim EVER in a good mood?

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
My mood is fine. If the OP is new or unsure about SPL or output, they need to first learn how to get one or two subs loud, test, try again, test, repeat. That is how you learn.

Quality > Quantity.

There are plenty of people who are running in Street A (single 12 or dual 10) who are in the mid 150's. And countless people with 4+ sub woofers of larger size that are not breaking 150.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7838
There are also people that run a very high frequency in order to achieve high scores on the meter. Some people tune their boxes to a low frequency and aren't concerned with "f@rt boxes" or care for them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
There are also people who are tuned low that still score very well.

Platinum Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7840
There are also people who don't win SPL comps with enclosures tuned to 20hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us