Setup question..imaging/fill

Username: Borkedness

Post Number: 1
Ok here's my setup(any feedback is helpful) im going for sq because I listen to everything, oldies, jazz, hip hop. I dont necessarily listen to it LOUD but I want detail, and I want to hear everything in the music. and if i choose to get loud i want the quality to remain the same. so after searching the forums heres what ive come up with for my 95 bmw 7 series

alpine cda-9885(bluetooth/ipod sold me)
Zapco C2K-4.0X
Zapco DC500.1
CDT Audio HD52 front and rear
image dynamics idq12v3 sealed box 1cu

question is...from all what i have read you don't really want sound as in highs coming from the rear. so should i swap out and do the hd52s in the front and in the rear just use CDT Audio ES-500 in the rear only. and if i do that..how do i set up the amp since the wattages are different. i have to do 3 amplifiers? id like to avoid doing that. or if you could recommend some midbass drivers that take the 150rms im lookin to push to the front, but it has to be 5.25".

Anyways..any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 60
wait and see what the other guys say. you may want to invest in some tweeters for the front. you may want to also look into a 4 channel amp. this gives 2 left and 2 right channels. the levels on each pair of channels can be set independant of each other. IMO

Post Number: 2
you mean another set of tweeters in the front? so 2 sets of tweets in the front?

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 65
no x1 srt of tweets but still the 4ch amp

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 66
"i have to do 3 amplifiers?" how many speakers are in this car?

CDT ES 500 in rear, HD52 up front, run it all on 4 ch amp. the rear speakers on the rear l and r channel and the fronts on the front l and r channel. the gains for the front and rear can be set independantly of each other.

Post Number: 3
ok so just set the gain to a minimal level as so not to overdrive the es-500s? im kind of a novice but i thought rms=continuous power...so i thought that the zapco amp would be pushing out 100watts continuous no matter the gain...

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 68
tim, i own a shop in crawford county, ga. where are you locates? i'll be glad to set this up for you. $55.00 you get the 4ch amp and the wires and such. my contact info is at www.waresgarage.com

Thanx

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 4
that would be a sweet deal but im in california lol...thanks tho! appreciate your info too

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 69
tim
look at this amp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17888 it s a pioneer GM4300F it will be swell for your application.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 70
are there a lot of shops in Cali? We're kinda in the boonedocks. ppl are moving in around us tho.

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 5
there are a ton of shops here...at least 4+ per town plus you got best buy/circuit city...install bays

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 71
see vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAuBWRM3Sw its for spl

Silver Member
Username: Exige

Cincinnati

Post Number: 218
Ware it sounds like you're not too familiar with Zapco. I would read up on them. Ever heard of Robert Zeff? That's Zapco in a nutshell.

Alright tim, let's get you squared away. I don't typically suggest doing 2 full component sets front and back. HD-52's are a great option for you (You could also look into ES-52i's).

Sounds like you've been browsing woofersetc based on your ES-500 thoughts. The ES-500 was discontinued a while back. Woofers is notorious for keeping outdated drivers on their website. The ES-5 is the current driver, and has some nice improvements on the old driver.

To fit a 5.25" size, you really can't do a dedicated midbass driver. You'd have to get up to 6.5" for that. So for the back, you've got 3 options: no driver at all, coaxial 5.25", or a 5.25" midrange. The choice is yours.

I'll PM you about the front components. For your setup as a whole though...everything looks GREAT. IDQ is a solid sub, and Zapco makes fantastic amps. The only suggestion I can give you is to think about upgrading from the 9885 to the 9887.

The 9887 has tons of SQ features built in. For the guy who likes to tweak his system on his own, it's got everything you could want. For someone who wants to let a processor do the hard work for them, it's compatible with the Alpine IMPRINT kit which is an awesome piece of equipment to adjust your EQ and time-align your speakers specifically for your car's cabin. Beyond that, the 9887 has the same iPod interace as the 9885....and I love it. I previously had a 9857 which was the pre-cursor to the 9885. The iPod stuff sold me on that also.

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 6
Well, to make this simple..if money wasn't an object what would you build for sq? keep in mind..im not looking for a competition level system...im doing all this myself...and i don't want to do anything customizing on this car. also how do you feel about tube amplifiers? i usually leave the eq flat in my systems...i like to hear music as raw as possible and the way the artists/engineers want me to. i dont want to miss anything..i want to hear the guys fingers strumming the guitar and the breath he takes before he blows into his flute.. etc...i want to be able to bump it occasionally but not lose the warm rich sound. am i going overkill on the competition level amplifiers from zapco for my system? should i roll with the reference? thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6155
wares garage, why are you suggesting he get a crappy pioneer amp over zapco. plus that amp wont be enough power for the speakers he wants.

tim, good choices on stuff only thing i would consider is if you really want rear fill or not and also take a look at other speakers in that price range though the HDs are good.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 698
wares:
"see vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAuBWRM3Sw its for spl"

LMAO for "spl". that system is WEAK!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help