O/T- 2nd Attempt at painting. Wifes car hood- PICS

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1245
So my wifes hood has been getting worse and worse on her 98 malibu. The clear has been flaking until recently almost the whole thing just turned grey. I decided to spend the money on paint for the hood and make it my 2nd paint project. I'll most likely be taking the bad panels entirely off the car so i don't have to worry about overspray- and it's easier to me to take out a few bolts and take my time than spray awkward-like.
Last thing my wife said to me about it: "I don't want to spend a lot of money on it since I plan on selling it soon, and no matter how the job turns out it will be better than it is".
Like I said- 2nd time using a paint sprayer, so while it could've been better I'm getting practice. Her fenders and bumper will probably be next. On to pics:

Originally it looked like this- you can see the sliver at the tip that's the burgundy color it's suppose to be:
Upload

Upload

Upload

Started wetsanding with some 400grit

Upload

finished with the 400

Upload

Started with the 600

Upload

Upload

And drying before paint. Basically I talked to a couple paint guys and they said not to sandblast or bother priming since the old paint and primer were still good, just the clear was flaking. I just got down to thin paint/primer layer:

Upload

And immediately after spraying- it smoothed over quite a bit after this, but you can see the orange peeling:

Upload

Then the G*DAMN trash and gnats got in it:

Upload

Just drying

Upload

Upload

Today I touched it up with a some 2000 grit, but I couldn't only very very slightly because of the metallic flakes and pearlization. Then buffed and waxed.
I need to buy some buffing pads, but it turned out OK. Much better than before anyway. I'll get some better pics when it's not raining, but here's the finished product.

Upload

Upload

Any tips on doing a better job next time much appreciated, but practice makes perfect I guess. It still looks soooo much better, even if only a little above a Maaco job.

Platinum Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1838
Looks great.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 656
that looks D@MN good troy!!! mad props

Platinum Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 1053
another great job by troy. It looks flawless to me. i can't tell a difference from the pic. good job man.

Platinum Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3665
x4. The color match is perfect too. Nice job.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 657
"Any tips on doing a better job next time much appreciated"

i should be asking you on tips if i ever need to paint lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1247
^naw, nothing I couldn't say I wouldn't just be repeating from someone else on a paint/fiberglass forum.

Thanks guys! I'm sure she'll really appreciate it. If you look at the first pic you see all those white swirl marks- that was where she tried to wax the hood and couldn't even get it to wipe off it was so rough. Little tiny imperfections wont look any worse than a car that age that has a few rock dings in it- but a huge discoloration it had can really be embarassing to a young woman I guess. I know I'd be pissed

Platinum Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3669
How young we talkin' Upload

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 646
troy you not to wash it for about 3 days and not to wax it for a month cause of the cemicals in the clear coat my dad was auto body and paint for 15 years and he always told his costomers that

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15667
Mad props for trying this on your own.

Platinum Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6153
turned out nice and good color match, cant belive the original turned to sh;t so fast being only a 96, was the thing ever even waxed? or just crappy factory job.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9136
Looks like it turned out great Troy. Looks like a perfect match. Good work bud

Silver Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 131
looks good man. hows the boat sale coming by the way?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1248
^ I believe the hood was repainted before she bought it. I think it was in an accident before and they just didn't do that great a job on it :-(

It was a '98 btw

My wife and I are the same age

Platinum Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5167
dude that looks great. i couldnt imagine doing half hat job.

Platinum Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5764
damn troy you got skillz

Platinum Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3794
what gun you shoot with? Hvlp? or gravity? I got a hvlp i to spay poly on woodwork stuff. Soo much better finish then a spay can or roller/brush. Auto paint aint cheap either, so again great job.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 399
What gun did you use? and wanna come work at my body shop? haha im startin a car audio soon tooo

Platinum Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2101
Painting aint hard at all... the prep work part is

and you got that down Nice tryin to paint my wagon for me LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1261
If you were in SC I'd def. come work at your shop I love doing this stuff, just no where pays decent(minimum wage ftl) or is hiring around here. I'm having fun learning this painting thing (I can do houses good already but there's a huge difference between rolling and spraying). I really would love to work at a shop doing installs.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

It's a Kobalt gravity my brother got from lowes- I'm just borrowing it from him. I was thinking about buying an hvlp for myself to try out and see the difference (from what I understand they use less paint too?)

Anyway, thanks again everyone :D

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 407
niice dude, just keep the gun about 1 foot away from the car, dont wash it for a 2 days, no wax for a minium of 1 month, wet sand it and buff it to get trash out if you want to but be careful do too much and youll be respraying done that myself once or twice haha, let see what else advice uhm how many clear coats did you use and how many base coats? looks like OMNI paint

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1923
Damn that looks sweet Troy.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1400
damn nice job, nice and shiny. i need a new front bumper painted. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1266
^No clear :-( I'd say about 3-4 coats I can't remember exactly.
We're selling the car soon (next 2 months soon hopefully).
So after talking to the guys at the paint shop they recommended a single stage. Next project will def. be paint+clear, but because of the short term we'll have the car I figured it wouldn't make a difference- and would help with selling it.

Thanks for all the advice d-money, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be making my garage much bigger soon- which means I can set up my 'work' section as a paint booth whenever needed without worry of trash or bugs!

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 413
no clear ehh thats not too good. you always have to put clear on now matter what kind of job it is, but yea no problem also heres another lil thing i can tell you since paintbooths are 100,000 dollars haha in your work shop in each corner build another wall that sticks out 1 foot so its a big square going up the corner with the side facing into the shop open, then at the very top cut a hole into the ceiling and install fans, so that away when your painting you cut the fans on, and take a water hose and wet everything down to keep dust from flying, and and trash in the air will get sucked up by the four fans,

do you get what im saying lol its too early in the morning

Gold Member

Post Number: 1269
No I understand. Thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us