Carpet cutting tools

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 50
Read the part about the one inch putty knife.
Cutting Tools:
There are several tools that will make the job easier. The first is a good sharp knife. Most people use a razor knife which works fairly well. The biggest problem is that the blades dull very quickly. I use a 1" wide putty knife sharpened on one edge with a very rough sandpaper on a belt sander. It allows a quick resharpening of the knife throughout the job and holds the edge much better than a razor knife. There are also knives that have snap-off blades that will give you a new edge when the end of the blade is snapped off. The following is such a knife and is available from Stanley tools.
has anyone heard of this? is it very effective. it sounded clever to me.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15676
You mean something like this???

Upload

They're $2 and have been around for years. Blade gets dull, snap off a section.

I have maybe 10 myself.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 53
no, i was refering to taking a one inch putty knife and sharpening one edge on a belt sander with really rough sandpaper.

it came from this website" http://www.bcae1.com/carpetenclosure.htm

but yes i've had those things before.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 15677
Personally I buy my utility blades at bulk so I get them for pennies. The pen knife ones are good in a pinch but I prefer the feel of a utility knife myself. Nice idea about the putty knife tho. Just my $.02.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92872

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 54
alright! We have a Harbor Freight Tools fan in the house. we have a harbor feright in macon ga and they are off the chain.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 15686
I love Harbor freight lol. Upload

You have to be careful tho.....

Just like with Cummins tools and Homier. They are great for some things, terrible for others.....

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 56
Cummins tools and Homier
what brands are these? never heard of them

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7754
Harbor freight offers one time use tools if that in certain cases. I warned my brother in law about their allen wrenches(or allen keys,whichever you prefer) and he didn't listen. He said "They're just for this R/C car..." the pieces of crap stripped instantly haha, warned him.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 74
here our harborfreight tool are used almost on a daily basis.

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7767
Well, there's some things I wouldn't trust buying from Harbor Freight that's for sure. For certain things they're fine. For example I bought an extension cord from them and it has yet to start on fire BUT I also purchased cable ties from them and they're complete garbage and you can easily snap them with your hands.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 15698
Like I said Harbor freight is great for some things and bad for others. For shop supplies you can't beat them. Rags, packing/masking/electrical tape, dust masks, gloves, bungee cords, straps, ect...

I have their 12" compound sliding laser guided miter saw and love it. I also have several drill presses and cordless drills that work great. Also a lathe and an 8 gallon air compressor with MANY brad/staple guns that haven't failed me yet.

What you have to stay clear of is router bits, drill bits, electronics, and anything ridiculously under priced. (It's for a reason). Unless you pick up a refurbbed dewalt or makita tool just about everything they sell isn't intended for high or commercial use. Good for weekend warriors and those on a budget.

These sites are even lower in quality than HF IMO but check them out if you're bored as hell.

http://www.toolsnow.com/

http://www.homier.com/

Homier has a wide variety of tools and household items.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us