Removable ported box for SPL very confusing

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 302
i am ordering 2 18 inch fi bls
running a 2k merlin md3d
if u need to know that

SO! i am going to wall my car
the box is going to be big. i can fit something 20 cub feet or so. i am not sure the size i want to make it yet.

this is my real ?s!
i want this thing to have the highest SPL i can posibly get. so i was going to make removable ports. one tuned to something like 35 or so and the other tuned much higher for spl.
the cars i have seen that have been walled were tuned really high! like between 60 and 80 Hz. i do realize that these have many thousands of watts and these cars are built for only spl. i don't have a million dollars so i can't do that.

so my idea was to wall my car with a port that was closed off. so there was no port and then the port with 35 Hz for street beat. after the subs get broke in i was going to run a sweep with the sealed parts. i am guessing after the sweep i will see that 50 to 75 hz is going to be what my car is tuned to.
what ever my car is tuned to is what i will be the text ports tunning.
the only thing that i didn't like about this idea is that the back of my box will have to be removable to because the ports will be so big i can not get them in my car from the front with my seats in the way and that is even if i can get them to fit in at all other than from the back.
i even have a design for braces on the ports that can come off and be replaced for each port.

i have been told that removable ports are bad and will not do me any good.

and today i was told that tuning my 18s to something high like 60Hz wont be any louder no matter what my car is tuned to.

please tell me what u have done in the past! and don't tell me stuff if u dont know what ur talking about please.

i just want the best of both worlds, an spl car that i can get really high numbers with on one note and that i can drive around and listen to music and have it sound pretty good or close to it.

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7715
If you can't install your port because your seats are in the way just take your seats out and re-install them once the port is in if possible.

Platinum Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1124
my personal opinion is to build a true 3/4 wave. that sounds like what your looking for it will be tuned high but have the ability to play music. us audio in md. built one and it sounded good in a exterra

Platinum Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1125
also inter. ports are a bad idea in a wall vehicle

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7717
"also inter. ports are a bad idea in a wall vehicle"

Can you please elaborate as to why this is Scott?

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 1042
So you're wanting a removable wall? no. You could do a huge box in the back but almost 100% of the time the walls are built in the car(to seal off the front properly)
well theres a few problems.
1) is your car ready for the wieght/size of a wall?
2) are you ready to sacrifice you car for this? After a car is walled off it usually will never come back to its original state.
3) If you're looking for straight spl then you will want more power for the bls.
4) finding a vehicles tuning frequency with 2 18" subs isnt recommended.
5) walls just aren't practical for a daily driver.
So you have a decision. Sacrifice your car, spend more $, get a few more dbs OR do a a large box spend a little less and lose of few dbs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7719
What kind of car is this by the way?

Platinum Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5115
I don't think this guy knows what he is getting into.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
its a vw golf.
the reason i got this car was to make something as loud and as crazy as i could.
the thing is i don't have the money for anything more.
i was going to just make a really big box and make that into the wall.

even by taking the seats out i don't think i could get a removable port through the doors.

i have the time to make something like this i just don't have the money to get more power

Platinum Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1347
"i have the time to make something like this i just don't have the money to get more power"

lol i think everybody is like that.....

Platinum Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1126
smooth walls equal spl. cornered walls equal less spl. inter. ports look like butt anyways and in a wall thats a big a$s

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
and y is ports bad in a walled car???

i was looking to do something like this but with removable ports

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14693&mode=linear

Platinum Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1127
not ports / inter. ports

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
what is inter ports?

Platinum Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 1043
interchangable

Platinum Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1128
interchangable ports

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
well can u tell me y they suck?
just by saying something sucks does not really help me any

Platinum Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1129
think of it as water. is it going to flow nicer with one nice smooth port or a box inside of a box. if you want a wall that plays music then you build it that way. if you want a spl set up you build it that way. a 3/4 wave box is very hard to build and understand as i said before that is the only design that will work for both.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
i could make a removable slot port....
ya.. i think i could do that and it would be really good

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
i have some stuff that i can use to seal it. i really think i could pull it off...
but.... u said it would not be a good idea to tune a pair of 18s to something that my car is tuned to. why not?

Diamond Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13494
u should pay a pro like hexibass to provide u with solid ideas & good box design ......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us