How hard to put in alt and big 3

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1966
how hard is it and what kinda tools would be needed i havent looked.its on my 95 s-10

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7184
Do you have expierence working on cars? If so you can do it.

The alt is easy on the 4.3L engine b/c it's right on top and easy to get to. IDK where it is on the 2.2L, but chevrolets are generally easy to work on compared to other vehicles.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1967
i have a lil experience working on vehicles.not eerthang.the alt on the 2.2 is not on the top.my lights dont dim unless i blast it loud as i can get my music.the truck isnt street legal.i still gotta get the tittle changed over & a licence plate on it.hopefully i will friday.if the lights dont dim when im not idling idc.i was just wondering how hard a task it is.

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 36
changing an alt is easy. for big 3, you need some 1/0 or 2/0 cable, terminals anbd a crimper. you can get wire from knukonceptz.com the terminals from waytekwire.com and the crimper from napa autoparts, or i think napa makes cables. i prefer to make my own. just personal preferance.

atleast the napa here in fort valley, ga makes cables like that.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 37
on the older s10 the alt on the 4.3 and the 2.8 are on top. easy to get to. maybe a 15 minute job changing it.

i used to have an s10

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7202
He has a 2.2L its not the same

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7721
Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's a b1tch. You can never guess how long something like this takes because there's all sorts of problems that you might run into...an example being rusted out or stripped bolts. In some vehicles you have to do crazy crap like lifting the engine out of it's mount on one side or another for certain things. Anyhow, just set a whole day aside for the project and you SHOULD be fine.

Bronze Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 44
i was guaging by my experiences with 4.3 and 2.8 engines. you ppl need to come to terms with the fact that i'm not as stupid as you think. yes, set asside a day to do it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1973
lately i aint had a whole day to myself.dont thank i will either.it would be easier to pay a mechanic to put the alt in,i could handle the big 3

Platinum Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7750
"lately i aint had a whole day to myself.dont thank i will either.it would be easier to pay a mechanic to put the alt in,i could handle the big 3"

Haha, you'll end up paying $300-$500 bucks to get an alternator installed if it's not the stock size. They'll nickel and dime you all day. It would be easier though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1975
ill ask around.if its that much and i dont have the time to install it.ill just have to learn to keep my music down

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1368
Take some pics and post them up. Did a quick google search and found an S-10 forum, maybe you could see what help they are?

http://www.s10planet.com/forum/index.php?s=7d67d5faec01c679224c0ccde950d0d5

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7269
Thats weak for an S10 forum

Try this

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/big-three-big-3-upgrade-how-to-321309/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help