What amp to power my TC-5200?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5067
Ok. Its crunch time. I have everything I need for my install EXCEPT a sub amp. My sub has quad 1.5 ohm coils so that makes it hard to find the amp I need. I would like it to put out ~3000 watts. I can get a good deal on a Mmats 3000.05, but I would have to run it at .37 daily. Do you think I would be safe with box rise? Let me know some other options and suggestions you can think of if you EVER want pics and videos of this system haha.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7687
I think you'd be safe with the MMATS amp.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19929
mmats

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1632
^^^ i agree you'll be fine

now i think you need to step up and get the D3500.05

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1917
wow how good of a deal are you getting on the mmats???

Gold Member

Post Number: 5072
mike, you should ask zac davis about his experiences with the 3000.05 and the 3500.05. quite interesting.

anyways, i play my music for like 20 minutes at a time at a moderately high volume and i don't want to worry about my amp blowing. i mean of course i have the charging for the amp, and of course i'll be watching my current if i run into any problems, but still. i want something that is good for this. mmats still my best bet?

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19934
i just got off the phone with chad geary. he used to run mmats when he competed also. he told me the mmats is the most efficient amp he knows that doesn't take alot of current.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5075
i know its efficient i'm just worried about keeping it at such a low load daily...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7183
In that situation I would use a 1 ohm stable amp that produces significantly more power than you need, and wire to 1.5 ohm where you would get 3000+ watts.

Something along the lines of an RD 5750.1 but doesn't need to be quite that powerful. Of course more available power never hurts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5077
Well I am wanting from 2500 to 3000 watts. I don't care or need to run more. The Mmats is made for .5 stable ya know. I THINK but I don't know if box rise will make it perfectly safe.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6260
I would go w/ a pair of amps strapped at 1.5ohm.

Maybe saz1500's?
That would give you FAR FAR plenty power on tap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5090
that would be a lot of money and more current. grr... f*ck quad 1.5 coils.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7187
The idea is that since they don't rate amps at 1.5 ohm you'd get one that does more than you need at 1 ohm b/c it will do less at 1.5 ohm. Going that route you're not even putting as much stress on the amp as it can handle.

I would run a 1 ohm amp at 1.5 ohm any day over a .5 ohm amp at .37 ohm. But thats just what I would do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5093
I know what you mean M.S. and believe me I have thought about that over and over. I just hate paying for a 4000 watt amp... I was thinking of either running a zx2500.1 at 1.5 or a Hifonics Colossus @ 3 ohms. What do ya'll think about that?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7192
Well if you're going to run an amp below rated impedance I'd say do it with the mmats since that is the best quality amp of the three, I'd bet on it being more likely to handle it than the others.

But I wouldn't run any amplifier below rated impedance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5102
Fair enough. I think the ZX would also be able to handle it given box rise SHOULD put it around 2 ohms. I'm just in a pickle and I want to get this thing bought.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6262
Yea, the zx2500.1 or a massive 3000d would do the trick.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2766
reece, just curious, i'm sure you've tried it, but have you called mmats? what did they say?

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3433
atomic 5k and with imp rise you'd be right around 2 ohm. it does 3k at 2 ohm

Gold Member

Post Number: 5107
i haven't called mmats, cal. most companies won't tell you that it is safe. i figured it would be a waste of time. i may give them a ring though. atomic 5k is sooo expensive... this is kinda not my style but look at this...

crunch gp pro 3000

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/20/13407.html

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4340
Shoulda kept the IA40.1 but that is just me....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7689
"Ok guys, here it is. Depending on your battery set up this amp will make an ungodly amount of power. With a 12volt battery set up dropping to 11.5 volts the Crunch GP3000D Pro made 2850 watts at a 1.03 ohm reactive. That's 4 12volt batteries. If you can get the voltage up the amp will make much more. By just starting the car and using the high amp alternator (starting at 16.1 volts and dropping to 12.3volts), the 3000 made 3732 watts. That's crazy isn't it. THAT'S NOTHING! I hooked it up to a 16volt battery set up and it just went crazy! With the battery voltage dropping to 15.7 volts with a 1.4 ohm reactive this monster made 4640 usable watts. NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT! "

I probably wouldn't run that amp personally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5108
Yeah I really don't like the idea of it either. I haven't cut corners anywhere else in my install why start now.

Silver Member
Username: Eldog

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 164
You already have some nice shyt, don't half-step kid.

That damn MMats is a beautiful thing but my second choice would be that ZX 2500.
That ZX 2500 could be bought cheap right now.

Platinum Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2353
Reece...if you don't mind me asking, what is your setup thus far?

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19957
the mmats will go the easiest on your charging.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 5112
I have a Panasonic CQ VD7003U , Front stage is Diamon Hex 6.5 w/ silk dome tweeters powered by a zx450.2, 15" TC-5200 for sub and a t-line enclosure.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7706
Do you already have all your wiring run?

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 619
how much power does that 450.2 actually put out to your comp set?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 5113
Eldog, I WISH I could get the zx2500.1 cheap. No on is selling them and if they are, they go for 550+ on Ebay.

Rob, I plan on getting to all that when i have EVERYTHING. Also, if you talk to Zac in the next couple of days would you ask him what he thinks. I know he has extensive experience with the Mmats amp. I just don't want the impedance to drop on music and end up with a fried amp...

Abarca, the 450.2 came rated at ~570 watts give or take. My comps should be seeing ~208 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 628
hmm i might be purchasing one of those to power the new comps im getting...

Platinum Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4344
Better make sure the T line is built right or there will not be enough loading, it will overexcured and rip the tinsels right out. Polo..}

Platinum Member

Post Number: 5116
I'm pretty positive it will be built right, Polo, and I would have kept the 40.1 but I ending up making 325 bucks on it. :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 5152
Crossfire 4000d @ 3 ohms?

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 646
thats a b@dazz amp right there^^^

and underpowered.
the 1000D from cross fire puts out 1200-1300

Platinum Member

Post Number: 5156
Well I talked to DJ at Audioque and he said that 2 1200ds SHOULD run fine strapped at 1.5 daily with box rise. I also talked to a Mmats tech and he told me that unless the current overloads then I will be fine daily with the 3000.05. The good thing about the Mmats is the current protection they have. Regardless of if the impedance drops, the amp won't blow. I think I will give the Mmats a try and if it doesnt work I'll sell it and go with something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us