Blown voice coil

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 132
My neighbor had his subs out of his box today.. While he had them out I put a dmm on his voice coils (ohms)and one of them would not get a reading... the other 4 VC's got the correct readings. He put them back in and wired them all in parallel down to 1 ohm(supposed to be) of course the ohm reading at the amp was a little high...(bad VC).. He hooked em up and they still hit hard.... This isn't gonna hurt anything else, right? He said that he doesn't care if he completely blows the sub with the bad VC! The difference in bass is not noticable to our ears... of course we dont know how long that VC has been out.. thanks

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 133
correction.. the other "3" voice coils

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7149
You will run into trouble for two reasons.

The sub with the blown coil may lose the other coil shortly, as powering only one coil will often damage it.

The impedance presented to the amp is higher now that one coil is blown. That will cause the amp to clip at high volume as it cannot produce as much power into a higher impedance. Then the clipped signal can damage the other sub.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2373
Really? Theoretically that individual coil should just see less power.

It shouldn't clip at high volume, just produce less total power. Your gain setting (the physical position of the knob) doesn't need to be adjusted when you put a different nom. impedance on it so why would it start clipping with a higher impedance?

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 138
was what i was thinking.. Seem to me that the amp would produce slightly less power. But that is why I was asking.. I really am not sure...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7156
Clarification: if you tried to get the same amount of power out of the amp as it could do at 1 ohm it would clip.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2374
There we go.

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 140

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums