Disconnect Ground or Remove Inline

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2763
I've always just disconnected my ground whenever i do anything on my car. I've real about people just removing the Inline. Is one better than the other, I've never ever had problems when I disconnect the ground, but i was jw. Any insights?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2358
Depends what you're doing. If you're just switching some speakers, I wouldn't even pull the fuse. If you're disconnecting the amp, pulling the fuse should be sufficient but disconnecting the negative terminal from your battery would be a good idea.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7118
ALWAYS disconnect the ground from the battery. It is not necessary to do anything else.

The reason:
Everything is grounded to the frame. Disconnecting the battery ground breaks the circuit to all electrical system in the vehicle. If you have multiple wires to your battery negative terminal all need to be disconnected.

" If you're just switching some speakers, I wouldn't even pull the fuse. "

I would disconnect battery ground, as I would when working on anything else. Touching a speaker wire to ground (if the amp were on, perhaps accidentally) can be a disaster (often blows the amp).

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2360
Damned hair splitter!

He's right though. It's a good idea.

I always double check that the key isn't on accessory or anything and that the amp is off when switching speakers.

If you pull the inline fuse when you disconnect the amp, the circuit is broken and theoretically nothing could happen but I agree that a guy who isn't in a hurry would be wise to just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3758
I concur, Removing ground is the best way to go. I have a solinoid on my sub amps ground that kills it with a switch or when the car is off. (dont ask)

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8725
"I concur, Removing ground is the best way to go. I have a solinoid on my sub amps ground that kills it with a switch or when the car is off. (dont ask)"

why do you have a solinoid on your amp Marc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us