WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!!!??

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 197
guys whats up, ive only hooked up a few systems but right now i need some serious help

I just bought 2 15" Rockfords HX2's 600 watts rms each at 4ohm dvc, ,and a clarion dvx1200.1 amp it is 1 ohm stable amp, ,so i got the wiring confifs and wired the subs down to 1 ohm and they sound way f***in louder now but i turn my take up to around 17 or 18 (out of 40) and the amp shuts off and the blue power light just flickers, the idiot who ran the power wire for his tiny system just 4 gauge wire then at the fuse 8 gauge all the way to the trunk do you think this is why my amp shuts off and wont turn back on until i restart my car, i am almost 100% positive i wired those subs right, what should i do
? i have 0 gauge wire here should i try that i just dont want to waste it, let me know thanks guys

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13457
lower down the gain to see if that helps ....

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 1020
8 guage wire isn't enough

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 198
i lowered the gain but around the same volume still cut out, im thinking since i dropped it down from 4 ohm to 1 ohm and now its taking 1250 watts rms isntead of 500 that may be why, ill run the 0 gauge theres no harm, if it doesnt work tomorrow ill post back up in the morning but if you guys have any other suggestions let me know

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 120
you shouldn't need 0 gauge for that amp... 4 ga. should be plenty.. Just add the 4 ga. from the fuse to the amp or distribution block.. Make sure your ground is making a good connection to the chassis.. check and make sure your speaker wires are not touching each other.. (+ and -).. try backing down the gain. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VOICE COILS ARE WIRED IN PARALLEL CORRECTLY.. Try that for now. It's a start. l8r

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1708
Change your 8 gauge to 4 gauge and you should be fine.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6237
Also, make sure the amp is not clipping.
An amp can clip even w/ the gain all the way down...It all depends on your HU's output voltage.

Set your gain correctly, check your gound, make sure the ground is 4ga, and change that 8ga to 4ga.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1330
Whats your cars voltage at when your are bumping? Could maybe be a poor ground?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19710
yea. stick a dmm to your amp's power and ground connection and check to see how much voltage there is.

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 199
ok guys just went out and ran all the 0 gauge i had, and grounded it with 0 gauge seemslouder at a lower volume but at 16 the amp just shuts off, i dont know wat to do i have no voltage meter or nething but i turned it up to 15 and none of my interior lights or headlights dim at all, so i think im good there Now Cannan said something about my decks output voltage? out of anything this sounds like it could be he problem i bought this car with an old panasonic deck, could this be the problem? if not what else and are my subs even 4 ohm? it says on the bottom of them 2ohmX2 is this still 4 ohm? right now im gonna go and try to wire them back to 4 ohm and see what happens, ,post what you guys think, thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19722
do you have another amp you can try? maybe its the amp itself.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15459
"2ohmX2 is this still 4 ohm? "

Sounds like dvc 2ohm subs. Depending on how you wire the subs it could be.....

Upload
Upload
Upload

How did you wire yours?

If they are DVC 4ohm then it could only be wired at 4ohm or 1ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1025
i'm going to take pauls advice here and say he's on the right track. i'm going to say your wired to .5 not 1 and as you crank it up the amp is strong enough to come alive then just die for protection of the amp. also the way you jump out and say thier wayyyyyyyyyy louder and you haven't even cranked them plus turning gains down makes a whooooollle lot of sense that your wired down to a low load. and 2 x 2 is not 4 it's typicaly 4x4 so i can bet this is your whole problem, try wiring back to a safe ohm load and see what happens, i bet your amp runs fine.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1334
I would suggest getting a DMM( Digital multi meter). They are very useful for anyone who deals with car audio. Only like $10 or so at walmart.

Where did you ground it at, its in a blazer correct?

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 200
no its in my 90 prelude, i grounded it on one of the bolts on the side of my trunk, i wired it back to 4 ohm and it pumps pretty loud, so since it says 2ohmx2 this doesnt necessarily mean its 4 ohm? can anybody check out forsure what kind of wiring i have to do? id rather do 1 ohm or 2 ohm instead of 4 ohm, let me know thanks for the help,

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1338
You have a dual 2 ohm subs. Wire them like option #2 in the chart paul posted, into 2 ohms.

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 122
lol need to change voice coil configuraction

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19732
dude there's your problem. you are going below ohms. 2ohm x 2 is dual 2ohms.

good one paul. you're the best.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15474
Let us know how it works out.

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 203
ok guys just woke up ill go out and get my subs and try them, now i dont know what i have them wire up to now since i thought they were 4 ohm, can nebody check i wired them to 4 ohm as i though the subs were dvc 4 ohm each, now that i know they are dvc 2 ohm, what are they currently wired at lol?

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 123
Upload

This is how you wire your subs...
If you thought you had 4 ohm dvc and you have them wired to 4 ohm.. then since they are 2 ohm dvc they are probably wired this way already... due to the subs 2 ohm voice coiles you are only gonna be running half the power that you need for those subs.. Did you buy them new... if so can you exchange them for 4 ohm voice coils? That would be ideal..

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 204
bought them used in a box for 300$ canadian and the amp for 200$ the amp was used for 2 months, i heard if you have the right amp these subs can take almost double what they are rated and can do some damage... if i sell this amp what amp should i get? a kicker zx 1500.1? i want something .5 ohm stable, but still reliable? so how are they currently wired...?2ohm? if so that means they are only getting around 800 watts rms, and my door on my preludes flexing, and that at 22 out of 40 on my deck, if i turn it up any louder my deck skips im gettin an alpine deck next week it wont skip will it? and my trunk vibrates like sh!tttt... i know about dynomat, but never done it do i do my whole trunk and will that stop the rattling? and will that make my system quiter, i always have my back seat down, which way should i have my subs facing i know their supposed to be facing the back, but its the first time ive had 15's will they be louder the other way if my seat is down facing the windshield? im only 15 and i know you guys are pros, thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us