300 amp alternator for a golf

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 272
some one help me out! i am looking for a 300 amp alt for a 2000 VW Golf GL!
i have looked all over and they best i can come up with was 140amp.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1394
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.excessiveamperag e.com%2F&ei=rwrtR67MAZu8zQTi3eCSBg&usg=AFQjCNH62oK_OrKLOk8-h2eX1_wqF1HLeA&sig2=Q G8Q6jfBKU1Tx04BJKvvpg

They do custom ones... i got a quote for a 350amp he said first id need special mounting brakets and it would be 500-600 depending on shipping and if i wanted it powdercoated

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

New quote coming soon, North carolina

Post Number: 1016
I doubt you can get a direct mount on 300A alt for that car or for most foriegn cars. with brackets probably but it won't be cheap

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7074
You will not find a 300 amp bolt in replacement alt. And trust me you don't want to get into the custom stuff unless you've got a LOT of expierence working on cars.

You will be lucky if you can find a 200 amp

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4332
If you were smart you will learn how to design a bracket, obtain a popular GM large case 300A alt and add it as a second, would be cheaper. Polo.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7079
Have fun getting that to work on VW. Not just the physical mounting but the electronics.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4333
I can get any alt to work with any car, 99% of the work is fabrication, electronics is the easiest part...Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
well... this is not a lot of help. i am ordering stuff and i don't have the power to run it.... this is a pretty big problem.
i really need something pretty fast

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7094
You try MCR and Ohio Gen? If anyone has one they will.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
can i just get a 140 amp alt on ebay and run 2 alts???? that sounds cheaper. the thing is i have no idea how to put these in

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7106
That involves custom fabrication which will cost you more than one good alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
ok. well they said it would be like 500 or so but its like 50 bucks cheaper for a 250 amp alt.

i will have to get some kind of brakets so it will fit. is this a problem???

will i 250 amp alt be ok for powering a nine 2X and a merlin MD3D 2K?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7131
Should be. If you want to though with the custom mounting go for it but be warned those types of things usually do not go smoothly.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8726
just find the compromise that gives you the idle amperage you want and the max amperage you need...but I just checked the merlin MD3D 2K and that thing is supposed to have 240 amps of fuse and the elemental design 9.2 is 80 amps form what I saw...but im not sure how your using that so that one probably will draw alot less the way id expect you are using it...and dont forget to add in the cars basic electrical needs

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
well i know it wont take the 240 and 80 amp to power it.
is there any posible way that a 140 amp alt and an optima battery would do it? cause it would save me a lot of money!

i really am not sure what to do.
i know of a place that can find out what kind of alt i need but in order to do that i have to have everything hooked up and have them run some kind of test.
i am just afraid that after hooking all this up i wont have the money to power it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8736
ok well whats the idle amperage on the 250 amp alt vs the 300 amp alt (i assume) that costs $50 more

"is there any posible way that a 140 amp alt and an optima battery would do it? cause it would save me a lot of money!"

no...it would be a poor decision for a couple of reasons

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
i still have not got an email back from excessive. i emailed them yesterday to see what the amp is on idle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8739
ok...be patient and do it right the first time...dont just make a quick decision

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7173
And don't buy an EA either

Gold Member

Post Number: 8746
seriously as much as people dont like iraggi here id suggest giving him a shot...his alts seem to put out the most at idle while keeping the high max ratings

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
i have heard so much from different people i have desided to get a bigger battery and then do the big 3.
then if i am still having trouble i will look into alts again.
does any one know of a site that has like a how to do the big 3? or the wires and junk that i need?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8748
you can do that but where the alt doesnt cover the basses the battery does and if its too much draw then the batteries life will fade

Username: Corbin01gti

Post Number: 8
enjamin....what did u ever do about the alt? i have a 01 gti and cant find more than 120 amp alt.........

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
nothing yet. i don't have my new stuff hooked up. i still don't know what to do because i don't want to spend 600 bucks on an alternator

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7294
You've got a WV, you should expect parts to be insanely expensive. Thems the breaks........

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
ya those wagonvolts are very rare. LOL

Username: Corbin01gti

Post Number: 10
where do you find the 140 alt at? that would be good for my situation. its only 90 amp stock....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us