3.5 cubes @ 32Hz Box Design

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 347
for 15" Fi.Q.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=28&Eh=17&Dia=9&Xmax=27&Vd= .19&NumW=1&Vb=3.5&Fb=32&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Can someone help me make sense of that? Which is the side I mount the speaker to? I want the port and sub to face the same way but I guess it doesn't HAVE to be that way.

Suggestions for a better design welcome, going in a 97 accord trunk.

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Bump

Come on fellas I want to build this tomorrow or the next day

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19679
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19680
you can do it here.

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
you're the man chad, that looks much better than the one I was using, Now I just have to see if I can fit 34" wide into my trunk, thanks a lot man

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1663
It'll probbaly turn out to something like this....

O wait a minute - this IS a 3.5 cu ft box tuned @ 32 for a 15 Fi Q.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19681
in the trunk isn't the problem chris. you gotta make sure it fits through the opening of the trunk. you have to be really careful on the dimensions cause slightly too big and it won't fit through the opening.

nice andrizzle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
I can't find anything on that site about CuFt and port tuning on that box... I assume you did me a favor and put in the above mentioned dimentions yielding 3.5 cu ft @ 32 Hz...

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
nvm I see it now, 3.4 cu ft @ 30 Hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
right about the trunk opening chad, I had to remove my trunk latch to get subs in an old car I used to have... I suppose I could park my car for the weekend and build the box in the trunk lol, not really

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19682
looks at the part i put the yellow square on.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19683
you don't want to do that. what if god forbid you get a flat tire and you need to get your spare out.

i built a box that is 3.5cuft and was able to fit it in the trunk. i have a 05 accord coupe. because of the opening, i had to make the box only 16inches high. it don't leave much room after you put a 15 inch sub on it but that is the best i could do. so that is why on your box design, i made it 16 inches high also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Yeah I looked a little closer and saw those specs. And The rear seats fold down, gives me some leeway If I need to get to the spare tire and stuff, but I will take your advice and measure a few times first.

I am a little concerned about mounting the sub with only 16 inches to play with.. with a wood thickness of .75" doesn't that only leave me with 14.5" to mount the sub? Will that work? Is it O.K. to have some of the mount screws go into the bottom and top panels?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19684
what you can do is double baffle it to make it strong. that is what i am gonna do on the next box.

i can't fit a box that is 17 inches in height through the opening so i am pretty much stuck at 16 inches.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
for double baffle just put a decent amount of glue all over the facing sides and evenly spaced screws?

BTW I'm trying to get my hands on some cardboard to test box sizes, hehehe, I'll take pics of that

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19685
yeah thats a good way to double baffle it.

and lol on the cardboard thing. i did the same thing. i have bunch of boxes at my work cause we ship alot of clothes. anyways i made the box size to see what would fit through the opening. lol. i guess great minds think alike. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 620
That box looks exactly like the one I built for Malik for his SI Mag 15, which he picked up today.

I gotta say that Mag 15 sounds sweet and the bass response just had that right amount of SQ to it and not being to boomy on the lows.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19715
did you start on the box chris?

and yes phil the mag is awesome.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
I'm toying around with some width lengths, it look really funny in my trunk right now and there's a bunch of dead space behind the box I'm trying to get it to fit into... I'm shaving 1 inch off my prototype, then if I like that I'm going to buy wood today

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Alright, This next pic is with a width of 33 inches, It a snug fit so I'm going to go with 32.5 wide, 17 deep, 16 tall. The extra 1/2 inch should make it easier to fit in especially after the rhino liner gets put on.
Upload

Box Volume: 3.472
Tuning: 30.01 <--- How can I get that up to 31 or 32? or will I even notice a difference?

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
I was playing with the box calc and dropping the square port length 2 down from 8 inches to 3.5 inches gives a 31.99 Hz tuning. Should I bother with that or leave it at 30Hz?

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
Double baffle.

How would I do this on this box? Double up the front plane? or get a sheet to cover the entire front panel and cut out the port as well?
meaning option 1 (will look odd): 2 panels of 29.5 x 14.5, or
option 2: 1 panel of 29.5 x 14.5, and 1 panel covering the outside at 32.5 x 16?

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1421
Chris

Did you cut those your self.. or had them pre cut...

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
bought the mdf and had them cut it at lowes, they messed up on of my dimensions but at least they made it too long instead of too short, gonna have em fix it tomorrow when it's not raining.

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1424
how much did that cost>?

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
1 sheet of mdf - $25
1 tube of tite bond - $4
they cut it for free, I've had them cut ply wood and other stuff also, I think just as long as u buy it there they will do it for free
I just gotta find something to cut my port and speaker holes with now... I Don't think my dremel will work on wood this thick

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1349
I didn't know lowes will cut the wood. Next time I'm gonna save the hassle and make them do it lol.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 583
just make sure they do it right, they cut some of mine and it all was an eigth of an inch off. good thing i have a table saw at the house!

open item table saw at sears = 99bucks!

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1427
YEa me either... I'll do that to maybe... Just not having a Table saw or Circular sor Jigsaw Router or anything is kinda gonna make it hard to build my box.. Gonna have to borrow stuff

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1035
They will not always do it for free it's a horrible store but then gain they all are in my opinion. but back to topic it typically ranges free to 75 cents a cut , most of the time not more then 40 cents a cut. this is due to the blades replacement it's like a blade fund. all lowes that sell would should have these. thier typically always located on a endcap in luber. heres the bad though, it's a panel saw, for saftey issues. the problem with this is they don't have a line where the blade is since the try to self contain the blade for saftey. meaning theres a pencil line and that's the cutters guide. so you got lucky that it worked as well as it did for you. lastly a little tip, almost all lowes saws keycodes are the store number found on ur reciept and the pound sign or 123456 pound. and if u dial ether pound 35 or pound 30 on a phone in the store u can page, also never yell code adam. the stores have to go into lockdown in case of a lost kid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
Good info Keith, hehehe.

This guy did an ok job, most of the cuts were either right on or only off by 1/16" inch, much better than I can do (especially since I don't have the tools to do it). Even the dimension that he screwed up was off by exactly 1 inch, understandable that he just read it wrong since he only had to make one pass for that particular side of the board.

Raining again today, Water + mdf = toilet paper, looks like I'll be waiting another day to get this fixed... maybe I should just go get my own jigsaw and do it myself... I don't know any other way to cut a speaker hole in this stuff...

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1045
just get the dremel drill blade it's like a roto zip blade and the circle cutter for it. you can buy it as a kit at lowes for like 40 or less prob a average of 15 - 20 but prices go up and it's been a while since i looked and dremels tools fluctuate in odd price ranges. mdf really isn't as tough as u think. that dremel should buzz through it about 10 times beter then a jig saw if u get the right blade.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1046
here ya go, http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188575&G=69679&I=69820

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1047
my bad ur doing it for a 15 inch hmm not sure then maybe just a blade attachment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
thanks for tryin keith, I tried out my knock off dremel with a wood bit on some scrap mdf... I will be buying a cheap jigsaw somewhere, there's no way I can make a relatively straight cut with it let alone a perfect circle. Also started to make the mdf smoke when I tried to just drill a hole straight through it, I guess 3/4" is too much for it to handle.

When I have more time I'll go get that tool and fix the dimensions myself, trying to get my senior project finished up so I can graduate in 1 month!!

Rain every day doesn't help either.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1055
yea i just got a real dremel, a knock off just dosen't offer what a real one can and u need a cutting blade not just adrill bit plus the right speed for the bit. ur burning the mdf by it spinning to slow and you moving to fast.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
I tried at a few different speeds, drilling down 1/2 way into the wood and scrolling around was easy, but the main thing is it's so damn hard to control I'd never get a straight line out of it

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1059
yea that's why u gotta get a guide jig. u might be best just to get a jig saw but just a feair warning it's easier to control but if it's your first time using it. you will be just as bad as that dremel, your best bet if u get a jigsaw is just to practice. i'd say get a radial arm saw and a jig guide to cut straight lines, my uncle did that for mine. but u still need a jig saw to cut your hole. but look at it like this if u buy those 2 tools u can build any amount of boxes u need no relying on lowes to cut it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
new thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/470528.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us