PLEASE HELP ME OUT i need to know how i can get a experience

Kenny O
Can anyone help me figure out how to gain experience so i can get a job as a installer at a place like mickey shorr or car tunes ive wanted to for a while any help would be appreciated

motoman22
You gain experience by doing it. If you have a car, that's your testbed...just design a system and then install it according to your design.

Research the different types of sub enclosures (bandpass, ported, sealed, isobaric bandpass, 5th, 6th,7th order...) and learn what the benefits and downfalls of each are. Get some fiberglass resin and mesh, try to build new door panels with speaker pods. Study Ohm's law, follow directions, be a perfectionist.

If this kind of knowledge were taught in books it wouldn't pay near as much. It's a skill you learn by doing it.

DeLoit
They are also schools that you can go to. They are expensive, but help

motoman22
The schools like Installer Institute assume that you already know all the basics and then some. They don't want you to show up asking what an Ohm is..

It all depends on where you currently are in your learning, if you really are a 'newbie' who is still using screw-on wire caps and trailer kits for speaker wire then I highly suggest you avoid spending the $3000+ that these schools cost until you have done more and know the basics.

We all start somewhere and we make plenty of mistakes. Without the mistakes, you don't understand why things are done the way they are. Don't give up!

okay, if you really want to do this, like motoman said, i'd go out there and do a few installs by yourself with our step by step instruction. this way you gain experience. after you've done this a few times, i'd suggest going to your local library or going online and buying the MECP study guide MECP is the Mobile Electronics Certification Program. once you think you have all of the information in the study guide down pretty well, contact MECP and set up a time to take your test. once you have this certification, it will be a lot easier to gain a job as an installer.

and believe me, you will make mistakes. one of the first mistakes you can make is getting a friend to install something for you. my nephew just had a friend install his Head unit, and the guy told him that he didnt need the illumination or dimmer wires, so he just cut them down to about 2 centimeters in length WITHOUT CAPPING THEM!!. this resulted in a huge short and about 1000 dollars in damage, because my nephew bypassed the fuse protection by putting a larger 30 amp fuse where the 20 amp fuse was supposed to be. lesson in this: dont let friends install things for you unless you are sure they know what they are doing. 2nd, always cap unused wires. 3rd, never put a larger fuse where a smaller one should be.

learn from this expensive mistake :)

Kenny O
Thanx to everyone who added to my post im takin derek I's advice and buying the MECP study guide then after that im gonna try to become certified.

I know all the basics i hooked up my every thing in my car from my head unit to my subwoofer to my door speakers .

I got pioneer running to the doors and pioneer 6 x9s to then i have a kicker comp 600.1 running to 1 12 inch solo baric L7 with a kicker come ported box so if i know how to do that i'd say im not to bad but if anyone knows a good school in michigan please hook it up with the info
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us