Port placement

Username: Thevisualassasin

Post Number: 4
ok i just got a car a few weeks ago its a 2001 eclipse gt and im going to be putting together a new system for it seeing as how the 15 inch mmats are too big for it. i want to go with a ported box and well first off i was wondering how it should be firing i was thinking subs toward the hatch, port towards the cabin? but i dont know too much so input would be nice. also what would you guys prefer to run in this small hatchback car 2 12's?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8662
if you do two subs do one sub over the other firing up at the hatch and port it up also with the port behind the subs firing up

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1869
Sup Johnny Ric? Hows Pakalika,Bobby B,Daddy X,and D-Loc?

KMK FTW!

Bronze Member
Username: Thaphunkjunk

Orrville, Ohio United states

Post Number: 64
HAHAHA yes KMK owns

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
ummm sean do u happen to have a picture or a link to a picture of a setup similar to that its kind of confusing i also have a hatchback car

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 346
lol KMK FTMFW

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Bump..... Anyone know what sean is talking about that is able to show a picture or diagram?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8684
This is what I was thinking its in an intregra and im not sure if the eclipse is layed out the same but from what I saw looking at the eclpise on the net it might be...and I thought subs placed like this with the port firing up would hit well since it did well for him arranged like this sealed...and I thought port up based on another hatch we metered with a single 12 in a integra

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/460269.html

Post Number: 5
ok ok cool thats kind of how i figured on doing the box now would anyone be willing to help me out with the box building not very much space in the car ill get dimensions later tonight but it will be a box for 2 12" cvx's im unsure as to what the proper tuning should be and all that so any help would be greatly appreciated

Gold Member

Post Number: 8694
we will help you out just give us the demensions and well go from there...also what amp are you going to be running them on

Post Number: 6
dont have an amp for the CVX's right now so im open for ideas on that as well but to be honest im not really looking to replace the alt of the car so that is also a factor i know mostly everyone on here will say that i need to do that but id like to kind of work around it

Gold Member

Post Number: 8711
if you havent bought the subs yet maybe you would be better with one 12 instead of two...also what ohm are the voice coils if you do have them already

Post Number: 7
they are DVC 2 ohm woofers

Gold Member

Post Number: 8712
ok you want an amp that bridges to 2 ohms and from what I found you have a 85 amp factory alternator...and it takes some of that amperage to run your cars electronics and if you dont want to upgrade your stock alternator and have no problems then your power usage is going to be limited with those two 12's id say go with something like a kicker 750.1 and set the gains to 750 watts maybe less depending on how your cars charging keeps up...(this amp is under rated and comes with a birth sheet with actual power ratings)

Post Number: 8
yeah thats about right its actually a 90 amp in there and what about like and extra battery or 2 and like a cap?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8716
skip the cap...and if your going to do an extra battery you might as well upgrade the alternator first instead...thats your first line of defense and it could cost about the same as a battery and will give you more amperage from the proper place

Post Number: 10
what do u think would be better i have a chance to get ahold of an older orion HCCA its not like really old but its the older style prior to the H2 with the red 4 spoke basket its a 15" what do u think would be better loudness wise the 2 cvx's or the HCCA the HCCA would probably be getting like 1600 watts and about that split between the cvx's

Gold Member

Post Number: 8731
do you have a link to the older sub from orion your talking about...also if your going to run 1600 watts I guess your going to be getting an upgraded alternator

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 910
nice car man, i got the same one, same year

i used to have 1 15" facing up towards the hatch and it took up almost the entire trunk, so i switched to 1 12" and i like it alot better. Its facing the trunk tho, i think i might build another box and have it facing up to see how it sounds... if you go 2 12's you can pretty much kiss your trunk goodbye because we have that 4-6 inch piece running from one side of the trunk to the other which limits how close to the seats you can get.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8733
you would be suprised how loud a single 12 can get...but I have to say im not a fan of the cvx 10's I heard (sq wise)...I mean they werent bad just nothing special

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
http://www.carreview.com/channels/carreview/images/products/product_50418.jpg

thats the link to what the HCCA looks like dont know what year it was made but its in great shape and yes sean i am planning on getting a new alternator
any ideas on what to get? i take it you have an upgraded alt in your clipse nicky?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8735
whats your budget for amp subs and alternator

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
well that orion i can get for next to nothing (owner owes me some cash) i could turn around and get rid of those cvx's that would get me like 270 and i could probably tack on another 250-300 for the amp and alt

Gold Member

Post Number: 8745
well you could go with the orion but if you can get a listen to it and see if its what your looking for because ive heard some of the recent orion subs dont sound very good sq wise....but as far as alternators go it looks like a 160 is the highest I can find from here

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou160ampal7.html

Your Price With Exchange: $258.00
Price with core value: $318.00

but you could check with irragi alternators they might have a beefier version than maniac electronics at least at idle amperage if nothing else...as far as amps id suggest the audioque 1200d at 249.00 plus shipping i think...thats if the 15 orion is a dual 2 ohm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us