Looking for a new 15....experienced users help!

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2241
Im looking for a new 15 to put on my massive p1500. I currently have an Fi Bl and unless something is wrong with it, i really dont like this sub. I used to have an Sx 15 (got stolen) and i think it is noticeably better than the BL sq wise and is just as loud. The Bl cant do a lot of things ...lol...

So im looking for a Dual 2 ohm 15 that is sql. The box preferably will be 3 cuft @ 37hz and 54sq. in. port. cause it is already built....I think the sx (again hah) would be great in this box because i did a 144.2 in 3 cuft before with it but shitty box.......

I wasnt sure if i want a bigger amp to go for a bigger setup all around but its just this sub... This setup is on a 200a alt, kinetik, pioneer deh 7800p, and pg components........

thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1946
give a dd 3515 a listen

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2288
I think I'll save this to a text file then throw it on the clip board every time I come on Ecoustics:

I think you are putting too much weight on the woofer.

If your BL, which isn't supposed to be a bad sounding sub, isn't up to your standards, maybe it's actually the enclosure that isn't performing. I think getting a new sub and putting it in this enclosure would be the wrong way to go about rectifying. Before you spend a few hundred on a new driver, try a new enclosure. Everyone knows this is coming but I'd email Pete Kulicki and get a design from him.

http://www.hexibase.com/

I found that it took my bass from pretty d@mn loud and fairly pleasing SQ wise to ridiculously loud (IMO. It gets my door flapping at least a half-inch so it's definitely not quiet. Pair of budget 12s and 900W) and as transparent as I've ever heard bass. That's until I crank it up at least. Then I get a whole bunch of rattles.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6976
RE XXX if you can find one

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2348
rd alpha

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2349
revolution design alpha 15 ...

for the motha facking win :-)

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2291
I just realized we can edit our posts right from the actual post now; cool!
Sad thing is that almost every other forum has that and has had it since I've been using the internet.

Anyway, no one else thinks it might be his box?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1302
I think 37hz would be a lil sloppy myself, but I haven't heard a bl or an sx, or his setup for that fact. My last 2 subs @ 35hz is driving me a little crazy at times.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

All he does is catch t..., Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 14116
Alpha

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4817
if your really liked your SX that much get another one since you know what to expect.. i sold mine and then bought them back.. great subs

ill have to agree with the XXX tho.. if you can find one try running that.. almost as loud as an SX but amazing SQ.. with more power they should get as loud as an SX if not a little louder

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2303
So we have all completely ruled out the possibility that it is actually his box that he is unhappy with???

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1304
I vote new box. A box is about $35 for material, and is cheaper than a new sub.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6980
Yeah for the XXX you would have to build a new box cause that one's tuned way too high

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7512
Steven has built a couple boxes as far as I know. I'm sure if it was a huge issue with the box he would have thought of that by now.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1222
I agree with you cam. My brothers 12" BL absolutely slams. I know a guy with 18" BLs, and they're amazing too. I would definitely try a different enclosure before paying 10 times what it would cost for materials on a new sub.

I think I have a pretty good enclosure, but when I see people put up better numbers and have different results in the same vehicle it just shows there is always room for improvement, and such is probably true in this case.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8645
Id say give pete from team toxic bass a try on the enclosure what do have to loose except a little cash....but what might you gain...Im considering giving him a shot with one of my subs (maybe my resonant engineering re 12)...and then build a box of my own for it and compare

Gold Member

Post Number: 8646
ps...its not just box its acoustics also and I know pete factors this in as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 7514
I heard Pete from TTB charges around $50 for a box design, is that right? Is it more?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3494
how much are you looking to spend? what kind or vehicle? so you are basically looking for a pretty loud sub with good sq? the sx is actually louder then the 05 xxx but doesn't hang with the lowend frequencies of the 05 xxx and the xxx sounds pretty good. though I've never dealt with the bl so I can't really compare it.
the 3515 honestly doesn't have any lowend either imo some may argue that lol.
I think maybe a si mag may be a very good choice for you. the alpha is also another good choice. it can take 1k-2k all day.they sound great and can get loud. id say mag or alpha or another sx like kevin said

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3495
btw my xxx 15 slammed in a 6cubes tuned to 27 hz it was louder to the ear then to thed mic. but sweet jesus I loved it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8648
Rob..."I heard Pete from TTB charges around $50 for a box design, is that right? Is it more?"

Its either 50 or 60 I cant remember

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9014
I wouldnt recomend the mag cause the tuning on his box is way too high for the mag and i wouldnt suggest putting 1500rms on it either. The sx and the alpha seem to be your best options.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4822
XXX will play fine in his box

but heh.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4313
I had a couple os SX's, great subs. One of them I sold one of them to a freak in Texas and that one I ran 2400 rms daily on, really liked that sub. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5669
"Id say give pete from team toxic bass a try on the enclosure what do have to loose except a little cash....but what might you gain."

a little cash???

50 for the design and a lil over 30 maybe 40 for the enclosure so your losing about 90 dollars on building a new enclosure...

steve, or for that 15" id go 4 cubes tuned to 34 hz with around 75 sq inches of port.

the BL doesnt have GREAT sq but it sure as hell doesnt have terrible sq....

Gold Member

Post Number: 8649
"a little cash???"

smart alic

your telling him to build a new box anyway so that negates that cost you listed...so were back to 50 bucks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5671
"your telling him to build a new box anyway so that negates that cost you listed...so were back to 50 to 60 bucks"

"a lil over 30 maybe 40 for the enclosure "

:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8650
bottom line is either way hes building a new enclosure with either your design or petes so how is it any different...except for the 50 dollar design

Gold Member

Post Number: 5673
"bottom line is either way hes building a new enclosure with either your design or petes so how is it any different...except for the 50 dollar design"

i wouldnt ever design a box for norris....like he'd want one he can do his own

Gold Member

Post Number: 4823
lol @ polo :-)

just get yourself another SX and end the confusion.. save up and buy another 15" and test it.. if you like it more sell the SX

Gold Member

Post Number: 8651
"i wouldnt ever design a box for norris....like he'd want one he can do his own"

well you know what i meant...splitting hairs sheesh

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2242
Thanks for all the responses.

I think cam may be right on the enclosure. The box was actually designed off of all the previous boxes and testing from my SX...and i think the BL is much different. I like your idea drivin about that 4 cubes 34hz. The sub is probably trying to breathe in this box and some more cubes might help a lot, even if its not spl, but just all around with the range .....and sq.

I might want to get another SX though, because i never had a chance to get it into this box.

I thought the alpha would be mentioned, but I dont know much about this sub...

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2308
There is much more than tuning and volume in designing an enclosure. We might as well be Wheeler in comparison to Pete. The man has spent much more time testing and refining formulas and ideas than any of us.

He just charges the $50 engineering fee unless it's really complicated, I believe. If you're going to spend the money on the materials and invest the time, I think it's worth it to know that the enclosure will perform extremely well and that it couldn't be too much better without lots and lots of testing. Do it right the first time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4825
meh, i just build and tune.. im sorry pete may design good enclosures but every vehicles acoustic features are different so if you want the best enclosure for what you have.. its all testing and tuning

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2311
Pete takes the vehicle's acoustics into consideration. While the individual vehicle (as in your '97 JGC and not your buddy's '97 JGC) will be slightly different, I can't see it varying enough to make a huge difference in the sound. If you're competing, then you will care about a dB and you will have to build lots of boxes but Pete can still give you a great starting point and eliminate a fair bit of work. You just need to decide how much you value your time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4826
i'd like to know how he can possibly know every vehicle models acoustic values :-) ... theres just too many

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2314
He's been doing it for a while. I'm sure he's pulled together a pretty good database or can at least find the information somewhere.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3421
Fi BL's over RE SX"s

Always Always Always build your box to spec.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5678
"well you know what i meant...splitting hairs sheesh"

just giving you a hard time =P its all in fun sean.. dont take any of it seriously

Gold Member

Post Number: 4835
not sure why people always say BLs over SXs... SXs will be better on the lows and BLs better for higher notes.. all in preference

just invert your Fi BL to gain some more box volume and see if it sounds better.. save you the time from building a new box

Gold Member

Post Number: 5680
cheapest idea ive heard^^^

try it

Gold Member

Post Number: 7542
"i'd like to know how he can possibly know every vehicle models acoustic values ... theres just too many"

Lol, I guess you don't know Pete. It's his job Kevin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8652
"just giving you a hard time =P its all in fun sean.. dont take any of it seriously"

its cool driving
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us