First time amp and sub install

Username: Lucky_luke

Post Number: 1
First of all I need to say that I don't have any experience setting up a car audio system.

I have an '92 BMW 535i (e34) and I recently decided to increase the bass so I purchased an 8 inch JL audio sub and the JL audio A2150 amp. My car already had a weaker amp installed that powers the speakers.

The problem I have is that I am currently unable to access the head unit because i need a special BMW tool(i think its the original stock head unit).

So I installed a separate power supply with fuse for the JL amp, but since I cant connect my second amp directly to the head unit, I just tapped the remote that is going to the other amp. I'm not sure this works.
I'm also confused with the RCA connections, can I just connect a Y-split cable and connect the JL amp to the head unit this way?
I'm also confused which RCA cables I should connect to the sub, since there are two rear connectors and two front connectors.

Basically, I have four RCA cables, one left rear, one right rear, one left front, and one right front, which were all connectted to the speaker amp. Which ones do I have to connect to the sub amp?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Thaphunkjunk

Orrville, Ohio United states

Post Number: 69
kind of confusing here are the speakers other than the jl sub in the car stock? what kind of amp was set up for powering the speakers prior to the sub install? did you install an rca splitter? or what?

Username: Dishwasher

Post Number: 2
1. rca connectors connect to your amp and headunit not your subs...lol just gotta get that out of the way

any ways get a hold of that key from the bmw dealership, if you cant get 1 there try ebay or something like that

once u get the headunit out you will be able to run the rcas out the head unit to your amp from there u run a speaker wire 2 your sub and then a remote wire to your headunit plus a ground wire from your amp and a power wire from your amp 2 your battery....

this probably sounds confusing but just tell me what part confuses u lol

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5257
in those cars i'd use a rockford 3sixty dipositive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us