Box positions in a car

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 205
Okay, I have a 99 olds alero and to save on trunk space I was going to make 2 boxes that are 2cubes tuned to the same frequency, but would be different shapes in order to take up less room. The seats fold down so I was going to face one box with sub and port facing into the cabin of the car and have the second box's sub and port facing the opposite way into the trunk.

Would this work well or would it cause problems?

I can draw up a rough sketch if you need more elination to what i want to do.

Thanks
Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8632
you will want them to fire in the same direction

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6959
Why would you build two boxes, you could just build one and turn it around to see which way works best.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
I want to make it fit without taking up any more room than it has to. I dont really have the programs to help me design 1 box that has a different shape than just a cube.

On another note:

Having the port facing the opposite way as the subs... Does that work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
how far should the subs back ends be from any walls in the box? just far enough that they dont touch the wall? or I have heard 3" away from the wall behind them.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1561
In an Alero, the subs are loudest with the box and sub firing into the cabin. The biggest box you will fit in the trunk is externally: 16.5" tall, 39" wide, and 19.75" long.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
firing into the cabin with both seats down?... Should I seal off the trunk around the box?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1562
"firing into the cabin with both seats down?"
You do not have to have the seats down for jut daily driving. It does not really hurt the quality of sound, but it does get a tid bit louder with the seats down.

"Should I seal off the trunk around the box?"
If you can, yes. But it is extremely hard in our trunk because it is so small.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Thanks a lot Nick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
If I get the hifonics 2006 amp 2000rms will I need to upgrade my electrical?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6523_Hifonics+BXi+2006D.html

Amp^

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1563
The Aleros comes with a 105amp alt stock and just a small battery mount up front. I run 2.5k rms+ on the stock alt with the big 3 and a spare battery in the back. That should be able to handle that hifonics with no problem since it does 1800~ or so.

Glad to see another Alero owner on the forum :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 97
What ssubs are you running? I would recommend upgrading your charging system to keep your voltage as high as possible... That amp does draw a lot of power. even though it doesn't give you the full 2000 watt rms...

Bronze Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 98
The Alero is a nice little ride.. My brother has one and it is sporty as hell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
I love mine. It's not the fastest car but its quick enough +It looks good. I love that the interior has very few rattles and nice stock speakers. I also got a real nice stock paint job on mine... almost pearlescent.

Mark, I will be running 2 Alpine type-r's

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Wait nick, which should be able to handle the hifonics?

a) the stock battery and alt
or
b)stock alt with the big 3 and a spare battery in the back

Bronze Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 100
That amp will knock the hell outta 2 type-r's. Those subs can handle more than 750 watts rms each. ohhh and option b if that is your options..gl bro

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Actually I would rather not upgrade any electrical. I was asking nick a question. Should I get an amp with less power since I dont wanna upgrade electrical?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1565
Kevin, I meant that stock alt, big 3, and extra battery would be able to hold it. The big 3 is not hard to do at all on the Alero.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Im not really sure what the big three is... Could you explain it? I'm almost positive that I dont want to do any upgrading on the electrical... How much wattage could run without upgrading?

also nick, I think you gave me your AIM sn but I dont remember what it is, could you give me that again?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2293
Do the Big 3 if you can.

The Big 3 entails upgrading your stock ground straps plus the positive lead from the alternator. These are the alternator to chassis, battery to chassis, and the alternator positive to battery positive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Yeah I read a little bit about it on the12volt after I posted. Are they easy to do? What will I need?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

All he does is catch t..., Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 14114
Nick how would you fit that in the trunk? what did you have to remove to make it fit?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2296
A bunch of 1 or 0 gauge, 6 ring terminals, a bunch of solder and an iron or torch, and some heatshrink. I don't like the idea of crimping wire to go under the hood. It could cause some damage real if it came loose and the connections will be subjected to much more vibration.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Thanks cam,

Lets say that I only do a Big 3 upgrade. What is the maximum amount of power that my amp should have?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2300
Just try it and see. If your voltage starts getting really low then you need to adjust the gains to accommodate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
So you think I could still go with the Hifonics Bxi 2006?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1566
Kevin, go with that amp and adjust the amp according to your voltage drops. My AIM is: halo scripter

"I don't like the idea of crimping wire to go under the hood. It could cause some damage real if it came loose and the connections will be subjected to much more vibration."

Lol cam, it would only become loose if it was not done right. What I do is buy the closed end ring terminals and crimp them in using a ball-pin hammer. It's a completely safe connection :D

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6979
Get a better amp, hifonics is what you buy when you really can't afford something good

And Nick you're giving that amp too much credit.......... ~1600w is the most that amp will do

" A bunch of 1 or 0 gauge, 6 ring terminals, a bunch of solder and an iron or torch, and some heatshrink. I don't like the idea of crimping wire to go under the hood. It could cause some damage real if it came loose "

Haha. So you don't crimp your connections, just solder? I gaurentee my crimped terminals are more secure than that.

Every time I crimp a terminal I try as hard as I can to pull it off.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1568
"And Nick you're giving that amp too much credit.......... ~1600w is the most that amp will do"

Lol, I've heard mixed reviews on the output of that amp. I know it is not 2k though.

"I gaurentee my crimped terminals are more secure than that. Every time I crimp a terminal I try as hard as I can to pull it off."

Same here man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
I dont really need an amp that can do the full 2000w. Also dont wanna spend a whole lot of money so I think that the Bxi2006 will work fine, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Hey nick do you have any pictures or any sort of way of showing me how to do the big three on an alero?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us