Powering 16,000+rms

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1200
I have talked to Dom Iraggi and I know for sure I am getting his 4 alt bracket. I've had multiple people who I trusted tell me to run at least one 200a or smaller alternator in order to support my normal car functions. After talking to Dominick Iraggi he told me to get 4 260amp alternators, that they would supply me with the most power for my daily driving setup, since they have great idling amperage and I would never see full power without reving the engine (which I wouldn't do).
I know plenty of guys on here run 300a alts and bigger, so thats where my conflict comes in there. I want to make sure I'm giving my amps as much power as possible, and I'm willing to go as small or big as I need to.

I just got off the phone with someone at powermaster, and they said that my best option would be 4 of their 200a alternators w/ adjustable internal voltage regulators, where I could turn the voltage up to 15.0 and just leave it there safely- and that again with a larger alternator it would take high rpms to really take advantage of the higher output.

I've also had people tell me that I should go with powermaster over Iraggi, and that the 220 amp powermaster alternators would put out more power than Iraggis 260 amp alternators because of ratings. The way it was explained to me the Iraggis were rated peak while the powermaster were the actual output? This doesn't seem right but I honestly don't know.

So for question #1, would 260amp alternators definitely be my best compromise?
And question #2, would Iraggi alternators put out more power than powermaster, or vice versa?

Anyone with any experience at all please chime in because I hope to be buying them really soon.

And for the last part of my question, I'm currently running 5 optima yellowtops for the simple reason that they are the best batteries available in my area. I've found a few places that I'm willing to buy from online, and even driving a few hours away to pick up from.
My biggest worry- while I know dropping down to 12v hurts your score, is that if I go lower than that I'll damage my amps. I pray the alternators alone will be enough to keep my voltage above 12v on full tilt, if they can't what other batteries could anyone recommend?

And question #3, would different batteries really make all the difference?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. I've sort of posted this topic on several forums, I'm just trying to get the best and most and best answers possible.

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-D615D4 Dia...

Post Number: 248
uh try kinetik batteries they are great batteries and call ohio generator for alts there number is 330-875-6677 you may have to put a 1 in front of the number and four alts thats intense i believe steve meade only has 2 irragi alts and he is like 24000 rms and has i think six batteries in the back but not sure on the amperage of his alts either

Gold Member

Post Number: 1203
Meade has 4 alts, 3 350s and a 240. Ohio Gen costs almost twice as much as either of the options I've listed, without proving to be better from what I've read.

Everyones generic suggestion is try Kinetik. I understand they're good batteries, but would they really make mcuh of a difference, or a few 10ths on the termlab and voltmeter? Would it be worth the 4 digit price tag to switch brands?

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3408
spl cell if you have cash and need power

Gold Member

Post Number: 1204
^Also, I can't find 350s from iraggi, must be a custom thing.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4799
Honestly, Troy, I would contact the man himself, Steve Meade. I'm fairly sure he could get you a couple of 350 amp alternators. I think someone on this forum has an alt he got from Meade.

Also, I think you're on the right track by looking into 1 to run your car and the rest for your equipment. As for the batteries? You should see a decent gain by running higher power batteries. Optimas are nearly as powerful as the top of the line Kinetiks or Powermaster batteries. I mean the Optima is 75 amps an hour compared to 128 from the Kinetik 2400. Given the 2400 costs twice as much, but hey, you get what you pay for. The Powermaster 3100s are about the same as the 2400s and cost even more. Not to mention the 2400 is 1700 CA.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 787
why not try to get sponshored by an alt company with that many alts its going to cost why dis ohio gen from what i read they are becoming the sh!t at least when they tell you your alts putting out its putting out and sorry isnt powermaster carried by your local parts store???/

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4308
Better have the HP to run all them of you'll be surging up/down the street lOl. Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7494
No doubt, that's going to put a serious kick on the performance side of that truck but I doubt Troy races the thing around anyhow.At the end of it how much is this alt setup going to cost? 2.5k?3k?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1205
I don't think any company would think about sponsoring me since it's more of a fun car that I'll take to shows when I can than a real competition vehicle. Honestly, why would they care if your vehicle feels like a wind tunel if it takes 4 alternators to be in the mid/high 150s? Only the handful of people that sit in it will care- not someone who's reading it online. When a guy with 4 12s and 1/4 the power hits the same score (even if its 40hz higher) some people don't look at it like that.

The alts really only kick in when needed, so during normal driving just one alternator will be running unless I have it cranked up. Its a Tahoe with a decent sized V8, so I'm sure it'll move OK. A little bit down the road I'll be rebuilding the engine and maybe supercharging it (I'd like to see 400hp or so, just to help with towing). With the few things I've done like K&N, sythetic, and soon-to-be exhaust I should be right at 300hp, so that's enough to get buy w/out much issue. I guess for now it boils down to I don't care about the engine performance that much, I'm sure it'll still drive fine. I don't care if I'm being passed at a redlight if I'm keeping 13volts+. Honestly I can still beat out most 4-bangers even with the near 1/2 ton of subs in back lol.

I'm not 100% sure of a final price because it depends on the alts I go with. I know Steve Meade had a few problems with his 4 alt bracket from Iraggi and had to do some work on it, and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do that, so I need it right the 1st time. That's something I'm just goin to have to ask him I guess.
If I go straight Iraggi somewhere around $2000. Batteries are another issue all together.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4803
I've heard so much bad about Iraggi that I don't think I coul bring myself to do biz with him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7495
Yea...I wouldn't deal with that b@stard again, I'll tell you that much

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1625
I'd save my money, put one 300amp alt in it, and a bunch of batts for reserve capacity.
When your not driving it and its in the garage it'd be on the charger.
I've ran a few 20k+ systems street beatin and never had more than one alt, never had any problems either. Then again I never play it full tilt for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Usually at an average volume one badass alt will produce plenty of current for your extra batts to keep a full charge.

just my two cents though, i have no idea how loud and how long you play your systems.

I street beat at 161 db in my rex. 6 4k rms amps(24k rms), 5 yellow g31 batts, 2 50farad caps, and one 200amp alt. No problems.
When i'm not driving it it's in the garage plugged into the charger.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1206
See thats the thing, I've also heard so many people tell me iraggi has been great to them. I've got people on both ends of the spectrum, so it's sort of 50/50 at this point.
Zac, I play it for a very very long time. A charge overnight might be good like you said, for 5 minutes or even a single comp, but I'll drive a 1/2 hour from my house full blast, hang out with people there playing the system full tilt for an hour or two, then drive back a 1/2 hour home.

I want this to be a setup I really wont need to put on a charger. One 200a powermaster alt and 3 batteries wasn't enough for 1 of my memphis 4ks, the voltage dropped <11v. Right now with 5 batts I'll start at 14.8v, play a few songs, and it will take take quite a while just to recharge to 14v.
I can only fit another 2 or so (probably of a smaller batt too) with the way things are setup, so there won't be any huge battery bank. I think I may max out at 6 yellows if I stick with them, and maybe a smaller batt in the other tirewell.

The first powermaster 200 I got was bunk and I had to exchange it out for another, I had it tested and it was putting out 4 some amps at idle.
So I figure any company can have a dud.

I really appreciate the help, and I see where you're getting, but I really want to do everything in my power to supply the amps as much straight from the alternator as possible. Thanks again for the advice, congrats on breaking 160 too. Thanks again, and any more advice/tips is more than welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1640
Ive had an iraggi alt thats lasted me 2 years. Still going a strong 14.4

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4309
I have an Iraggi 300a Amputator. My alt was a special order , large pumpkin and was not built by Dom , FYI...Polo..

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1626
Hers a pic of dom's trunk a few years ago from finals.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6958
Memphis 4kw, thats a big problem right there...... how many of those are you running?

Those amps are known to be inefficient which is not a good thing with a amp that size, and then you are running more than one?

You could probably reduce your current demand drastically with better amplifiers.

Gold Member

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3410
SH!T^^^

Gold Member

Post Number: 4811
Yeah with more efficient amplifiers you would have a lot easier time figuring this out...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7507
"Memphis 4kw, thats a big problem right there...... how many of those are you running?

Those amps are known to be inefficient which is not a good thing with a amp that size, and then you are running more than one?

You could probably reduce your current demand drastically with better amplifiers."

He's running 4 of those current hogs. Yea...it'd be nice to switch over to more efficient amplifiers but I don't Troy is going to want to spend 3-4k in new amps and still need a charging upgrade haha.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 513
why not 2 RD 7250.1's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1210
Yes, 4 Memphis 4ks. I have 1 amp per BTL. I'll probably have between 800 and 1000rms for mids and highs when I'm done (I'm sure not enough, but just to figure it into the equation).

I'd go with 4 RF 4ks if it wasn't for the obvious comments I'd get from people that I was trying to do a complete copy of Steve Meade, which is not what I want at all. Sure I want it to be that loud, but not if it means running the EXACT same setup.

I might recone my BTLs and run 4 Sundown 3ks at .5 ohms, hell, I've wondered how 2 of the kicker warhorses would be, but I really don't know that I care to find out.

Right now I'm not switching equipment. If I can get my electrical system ready for these things then I know I'll really be able to take advantage of more efficient amps down the road. They'll be plenty of power for my subs, even if they are more of a strain on the car for the time being.

I sold a gokart I've been trying to sell today, the folks will have the rest of the money in a week, so there's one alternator right there! Hopefully I'll sell my 17ft bass tracker w/ 75hp outboard in the next few weeks, anyone interested email me at tejcurrent@yahoo.com - all proceeds will go towards the electrical lol

Thanks for the help everyone, please keep it coming.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 115
dude i cant fcking wait to her this thing mann

Gold Member

Post Number: 1211
me too :D

Gold Member

Post Number: 1645
r u set on 4 amps?... i mean... why 4???

Gold Member

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3413
he already has em

Gold Member

Post Number: 1646
sell them and look @ a single amp?

stetsom 7k running @ half an ohm is ringing a bell?

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1627
I'd put 4 MMats amps up against those 4kw's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1212
I already have 4 Memphis 4ks. I don't plan on switching anytime soon, since there is really no amp I could make an even trade for, and I don't want to invest in new equipment at the moment.

Andrizzle, I woud still need to run 2 of those stetsom amps to power them with even similar power as the 4ks.

Unless someone can offer me a trade to a different amp without me adding more money while getting the same amount of power I'm not interested. And if I was trading for superior amps, why would someone else be willing to take a loss? The Memphis amps fit in with my current build very well too, I'd most likely have to build differently around different amps.

I appreciate the help, but I'm more concerned in working with what I have than switching just yet. Any help in this direction would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 249
Alts are good and four id great but 16K is going to come down to your battery bank.

I run two rd3250.1 strapped at .8 ohm. I have two ohio gen alts but the big diffrence came when i pulled out the 3 power masters i had and put 8 east penn batteries there making for us. Power master is a GREAT battery but 3 vs 8 isnt going to cut it.

If you were running two of my 7250.1 i would strongly reccomnend 12-20 batteries for daily apllication. and 8-12 if for comp use only.

Batteries are your first line of deffense. Them alts cant kick in fast enough for the current draw. SO if the batteries can withstand the initial pull the alts with refill them rather fast.

Another big thing is what the alt does at idle and hot rated. Cold ratings and peak mean nothing. Seems like any of them companies can serve your needs just make sure you ditch the yellow tops or add many more.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2515
I know you already have the amps and everything Troy...and im not trying to hate or anything...but do you really need to run 16kw for an everyday application? Maybe just use 2 amps for daily and 4 for when you wanna burp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1214
I'd have to change my coil config to safely run 2 amps. Honestly yes lol, I do need that much power daily. I'm running 1 right now, and it's no where near loud enough. I'd need to more than double the power to really be where I want to be, and a wall is out of the question. I don't think there's any way to meet my expectations and listening habits w/out all 4 amps running.

I understand, I don't mean this negatively, but this is what I am doing, I am just looking for advice on powering it.

Thanks on the batteries Steve, its just a matter of where to put them all. I don't have much more room and the way I go offroad/offcurbs pretty often would make it sort of unsafe to have an under car battery rack.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 908
Filling up Troy's car with batteries doesn't solve the problem of daily bumping a few songs safely. All I'd focus on is finding a way to make all that amperage fit, as Meade did.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1647
I dunno Troy... 4 amps just seems very unneccesary.

I'd try to limit it down to 2..

7kD stetsoms strapped... however I think the load will double when you strap these amps or something... i may be wrong though

Gold Member

Post Number: 1216
It's okay man, thanks for the help.
I've been sitting here crunching numbers and I think I'm going to go with 4 Iraggis.

1 220 and 3 280s should be a good compromise, I'll still have about 1060/610a of power, with a battery change and somewhere near 7 or 8 nice sized batts I hope I'll be good to go.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1564
"7kD stetsoms strapped... "

If my mind tells me right, the stetsom 7ks are not intended for daily use at all. They only settings they have are level and low pass.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9004
^^Word. I remember a test done between Sundown and Stetsom over on CA.com and the result came out being the Stetsom amps are great for competitions but are not realy recommended for daily use.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298134&highlight=sundown+stetsom

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
I have the amps so there's no switching on the horizon! lol. I'll post up results as soon as I get everything in. The alts are dependant on when I sell the boat. I'll have a 2nd alt and bracket ordered within the next 2 weeks, and then once I sell the boat I'll have some money to buy the other alts, more wire, and maybe more batts (I promised the wife some of the money is going towards savings.) If I buy $800 of it the 1st week of april I should have no problems getting the rest and then some after selling the boat.

This is now my offical f/s thread, who wants a 17' '93 Bass Tracker lol?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7863
fu-ck that get 4 memphis 4 kilowatts you wont have too much trouble dude... a guy called escalade on ca somethign liekt hat was running 4 of them on 4 18 ssx they ran like champs..

just get your self str8t up on the charging and ull be good as hell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4816
did you read ANYTHING in this thread???

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7864
na but i saw lots of peeps trying to make him change those for something else

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4310
Hmmm, maybe a daily dual voltage system? Run four IA 40.1's on 16V or even a 14.4V system, two 300A with external regulator and maybe a couple of 16V/14.4V BatCap 8400's ? If I had the room I would run 4 TC 5200 18's, four IA40.1s, and four BatCap 8400's all on 16V, tuned right around 30hz, but that is me... :-O Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Trust me I've seriously considered 16v, but I can't bring myself to do it. There aren't many amps that would have a good long life running every day at 16v. It'll be in my mind for down the road though.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4311
I have been beating on my IA for a while now daily on 16V, not a peep... Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4823
How's the TC handling the IA on 16v. I assume you don't play it too loud for too long?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6975
" get 4 memphis 4 kilowatts you wont have too much trouble dude... "

Yet another retarded comment from lilrob...... why does that not surprise me

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1629
/\ /\ haha

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4312
Actually Reece, it gets its fair share of power. I don't raise the gain until it stinks which it is quite hard to do but the 5200 is quite brutal, hits extremely hard for a single 15. Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us