Ot sorta: sound waves

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 355
weve been doin this sht in physics about sound waves and obviously with car audio bein a nice hobby ive actually been paying attention... this week weve been talking about db's and frequency and i guess to increase a volume of 10db's its 10 times as lound as before.... i.e. to have a woofer putting out 140 you would need 10x's the volume to reach 150db's? and for 160 you would need 100x's.... so then why do people buy 2 subs?.. say 1000watts each vs. one 2000 watt sub... the 2 1000wrms subs are going to barely be any louder then just one but the 2000 sub will put out twice as much... wtf?

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 368
im in phyiscs class lol right now too, and we talkin bout sound waves lmao you dont go to staunton river do you? lol but um i dont think that is correct

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 505
yeah im in physics and we talkin bout that now too.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8566
man is that a loaded question

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6202
Ok...I'll try this one.

First off, +10dB is not 10x the loudness. It is 10x the intensity. There is a BIG difference. Also, it is ~10x power input.

To double the percieved sound, you will need to add 6-10dB.

The lowered percieved increase in sound is +1dB. And if you double your power input, you (theoretically) gain +3dB.

Also, the 2 subs on 1000w each will (again in theory) be +3db louder than the 1 sub on 2000w. This is due to the increase in efficiency.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15114
When I was younger, (way back), I had friends that had 10 stereo speakers in their bedrooms. All hooked up powered by 100w each from one amp. I told them it made more sense to buy one set of speaks at 200w each and a two channel amp and they would notice the difference immensely. Those who can't grasp that don't understand power/sound output. 10 squawking parakeets don't equal the sound from a single mccaw. Damn those things are loud.

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 356
wow.. thats ironic that everybodys kinda on the same page... ya juss kinda came to me today in class... godamn, i tried to explain what i ment to my teacher and completely butchered it as i wasnt in the right STATE of mind if ya catch my drift. haha sounded like a complete moron. that didnt help much canaan... explain the diff between loudness and intensity.. pretty sure they r the same thing because arnt they both measured by the amplitude of the wave?

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2326
im in physics right now too....im on fluid dynamics though

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2231
I'm taking Physics next year and I find myself looking forward to it.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2327
i liked chemistry much much better physics includes to much trig
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us