New speakers say to disconnect old tweeters??

Bronze Member
Username: Bmage29

USA

Post Number: 47
Hey everyone, finally decided to stop being lazy and try to install these new speakers.

They are Alpine type-s (last years model, got cheap) 5 1/4", SPS-13C2 two way speakers. 175W peak power, 35W RMS.

Now... I can do the minor wiring required to hook up the speakers easily, what's concerning me is the warning mentioned on the box about disconnecting the dash tweeters. Warning says the following

"Product contains high performance tweeter. If there is a tweeter already installed in your car, then you must disconnect the terminals. If you leave the original tweeter connected and connect this product in parallel, then a fault may develop in the product."

This means I disconnect the dash tweeters right? Or does it mean disconnect the tweeters on the actual new speakers? I am putting this in my 94 chrysler LHS and want to get it done today. Do I need to really worry about the tweeters?}

These are the speakers below.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51800&i=500SPS13C2&c=3&t p=97&avf=N

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1715
Are you using the factory or an aftermarket deck?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 48
factory deck I think. As far as I know, all the factory speakers are there. I did get a new radio, but everything else is factory.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1717
You purchased a new head unit and had it installed and powering your speakers?

What head unit did you get?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 49
Um... no... I just got a new head unit, I'm fairly sure it's not powering my speakers. I still have the original amp from the factory hooked up powering my speakers.

The headunit though is just a Kenwood KDC-MP202.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1724
Sorry, haven't been on here much lately.

If you have a new head unit, run the new speakers off of it. I would just disconnect that amp and leave it be.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6920
" If you have a new head unit, run the new speakers off of it. I would just disconnect that amp and leave it be. "

Yeah that would be the best thing to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us